What is the BEST survival food stuffs for the money?

This is a discussion on What is the BEST survival food stuffs for the money? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been looking into getting food and other essential things in case of a SHTF situation and I wanted to know what is considered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST survival food stuffs for the money?

I have been looking into getting food and other essential things in case of a SHTF situation and I wanted to know what is considered the best survival food stuff for the money... would dry cured meat like beef jerky, canned beans and rice cut it along with water cut it?

Anything that can last A LONG TIME, with good nutrients and cheap would be perfect... MREs are to expensive though they can last years.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    I have been looking into getting food and other essential things in case of a SHTF situation and I wanted to know what is considered the best survival food stuff for the money... would dry cured meat like beef jerky, canned beans and rice cut it along with water cut it?

Anything that can last A LONG TIME, with good nutrients and cheap would be perfect... MREs are to expensive though they can last years.
    Rice, beans, cuscus, flour, salt, sugar. Look for things at the local market on sale and use coupons. Only buy the stuff your family regularly eats. Otherwise it is just a waste of money and good food.

Regular canned food is what I have. I would stay away from canned vegetables & fruits (especially sauerkraut) since the cans tend to go bad. I have eaten 7+ year old ravioli and stew and it tasted just fine.

For the price of canned food compared to MREs and dehydrated, you could just rotate the canned stuff into the trash and still save money.

There is allot of soft-packed food on the shelves now. Anyone have any shelf life data on the stuff? Many do not have foil packages.

Once in a while you can get stuff on Amazon for cheap (if you like Indian food). They come in heavy foil pouches.

Ramen noodles! Mmm, mmmm! Good stuff.

SurvivalBlog.com

James Wesley, Rawles' blog.

LOTS of information on how to prepare and what to do for when the Schumer Hits The Fan (with full intent of total disrespect to Chucky).

ETA: Rawles recommends you rotate food that will go bad out. Mark dates and know how long they will last. Give to local charities and bless others with what you don't use.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 27th, 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: additional info
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

What exactly is a SHTF Situation
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod012889 View Post
    What exactly is a SHTF Situation
    The LA riots, Katrina etc... when things are gone to hell.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Ramen noodles! Mmm, mmmm! Good stuff.
    What if you had no stove ? As in natrual gas is out along etc...?
    You could eat it raw/dry than rice though.. hehe

MREs.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Canned ready to eat as no cooking or additional water is necessary.

A huge supply of Snickers.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    The LA riots, Katrina etc... when things are gone to hell.
    oh so basically Natural Disasters, Terrorist Attacks, stuff like that
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    When I was a Navy Brat, we used to stock MRE's with our emergency kits and stuff. Once I got married and started my own (in FL, where you NEED the kits!) we made sure to include candies and junk food. It may not be the most economical thing to add treats, but there was a study published that people -- especially kids -- can actually go into a "food apathy" situation during times of extreme duress and stop eating. So if you keep brightly colored treats like gummy bears, it helps break up the monotony and actually eases the stress a little bit.

Living in Florida we need to keep survival food/water up to date. Just a few years ago we lost power 3 times at 10 days a pop, we were lucky compared to some folks. I am constantly rotating the food out.

+1 for using food that you would normally eat. I would imagine MRE's would be better for a BOB. But for survival for several weeks I would plan on at least using my backpack stove or my grill if I can get to it.

Food for thought if you are able to hunker down at home... I have some 12V operated lights that run of my boat battery. Brought into the house they were extremely useful for lighting at night. Flashlights and candles only provide so much light. (We were able to play cards & Monopoly).

In an event where you have some notice and can stay at home, another good idea is to pack every inch in your freezer with water bottles. The ice it makes will have a number of uses, keeping the freezer cold for a few days being one.

Long pig.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Long pig.
    God I hope not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links