Whats wrong with the country?

This is a discussion on Whats wrong with the country? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (soap box on) A new poll show that most people can't even name one amendment to the bill of rights but most can name all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with the country?

Whats wrong with the country?

(soap box on)
    A new poll show that most people can't even name one amendment to the bill of rights but most can name all 6 of the Simpson's characters. I think this is whats wrong with modern society. If you don't know what rights you have how can you possibly defend them. Now i Know we mostly focus on the fist 1-5 but maybe we should regularly review them. It seems that society is becoming more trivia orientated and less Cough "reality" based.

All this PC and Diversity stuff has us all off track. We(society) focus on a persons feelings rather then the truth(no mater how painful) and ignore unity over diversity. America is a melting pot because people came here and unified with our country not moved here to make it an extension of there previous one. I'm not bashing cultural differences just the actions that go against the original freedom of our republic. We should have an influx in real education and drop all the other PC stuff. If we don't we face falling even more behind the rest of the word.
    (soap box off)

BTW her is a link to bill of rights if you need to review it.
    http://www.billofrights.org/
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

Can you say SHEEPLE ? If you keep people ignorant and they don't know better.... then your rights can s-s-slowy dissappear or they just baffoon you...
    Outta sight, outta mind...

Assistant Administrator
    Bryan - ''head in sand'' attitude is alive and well! Not very new either.

Tho 9/11 was a wake-up call, as we know, way too many folks have all but forgotten - instead their concerns are having their paycheck, having their 2 (or more) cars in driveway, playing Sat morn golf - in fact as they see it - ''all in life is rosy'' - no problems.

They do not, cannot or will not view the big picture and see what has gone down the toilet already - partly because that is so much due to incerementalism but also because it is probably just too much darned effort!.

I am sick and tired of the PC excesses - and while I wish for ''fairness'' - it has gone way overboard towards ''nannyism'' and also extremes of priority for minorities. Those minorities should not of course be unheard but when they reach implied majority status and those of us actually in the majority see ourselves as all but sublimated, something is wrong.

The constitutional erosion is, to most here I suspect - all too apparent but you are right - ask around and you'll find if lucky maybe 1 person in 10 who can tell you anything useful about BOR, let alone the entire constitution.

How to reverse this complacency is looking like an impossibility, it has gotten so bad. In UK we used to refer to these people as - ''I'm alright jack'' - meaning as long as their little haven is good, screw everything else and keep eyes tight shut.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Question

Hummm...I can only name 2 of the Simpson's but, all of the amendments & all ten of the commandments.

PLUS...I know all of the individual CombatCarry Forum categories but, not nearly all of the Smilies.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Hummm...I can only name 2 of the Simpson's but, all of the amendments & all ten of the commandments.

PLUS...I know all of the individual CombatCarry Forum categories but, not nearly all of the Smilies.
    I think that's outstanding!

Senior Moderator
    This is a RANT !!! read at your own risk...

It the 10-80-10 rule.

10 % of the people out there are absloutley evil and want to take over the whole world. That is their motive.They will not stop until their goal is accomplished.

80 % of the people are totally unaware. They wakeup, go to work,go home,go to sleep and continue the process.Occasionally they entertain themselves. They live in a state of constant unawareness, choosing to live in what we call Condition White.

The other 10% do have a clue and they are the only ones that battle EVIL. They are responsible for keeping the EVIL in check and the 80%unkowingly benefit from their constant vigil.

Unfortunatley and occasionaly, the 80% are mostly cannonfodder. These are the good, trusting folks that are caught int the crossfire in the ancient war of Good vs. EVIL. Many die without knowing why and many die without ever really experiencing life.

We live in a time where travel and communication has never been any easier. Education is more prevelant than it ever has been., yet our people are getting dumber by the day. A good majority of people can read and write..on a 4th grade level. Life is more comfortable today than it ever has been. People have more leisure time now than any other time in history.

Unfortunatley, our schools and universitys are more concerned about how to teach our children how not to offend someone than they are about teaching the basics. Our math and science scores are lower than that of many other nations. Our knowledge of history is slim to non existant. Most folks cant tell you the name of the vice president, what is written in the Constitution of the U.S. or even what the Bill of Rights means or how it came to be. They have been told that it is not allowed to mention God in class, yet any other so called entity can be openly discussed. There is no Black and White, no distinction between right and wrong and anyone that thinks there is, is "outdated," "uniformed" and "resistant to change".

Our children look to professional athletes that cant read, write or even speak intelligently yet are pushed from school and passed because of their athletic ability and many of them have no morals or even a basic sense of common decency. Those in public office care little for standing up for principals because they have none. They care only for what will get them reelected and shun any issue that they may have to choose a side on.

Now more than ever, what used to be known as GOOD is now wrong and what used to be know as WRONG is now right.

This PC crap IS killing us. If the founding fathers had the had put the emphasis on being politically correct then as is it today, this great melting pot of ours would have never made it past the first generation.

The very concepts that this country has been founded on have been completley perverted. Whereas it used to be considered a great honor and privledge just to become and American citizen where one was judged by the fruits of their labor and the sweat of their brow and the race,creed or religion ddint matter, now its mostly people coming in here that want none of the culture and only whatever profit they can reap. They want all of the benefits without having to become American...and many of our legislators encourage it by putting up signs in multilanguage or offering special benefits to these people.

Thats just a small part of the problem. The concept of self defense, or even something as basic as owning a firearm, is completley foreign to many people and they have never had the ability to do so. Even our own children in the big citys are being taught that firearms are EVIL and that anyone that owns one must be a dangerous person to be around.

This country IS going to hell in a handbasket and it seems to be traveling in that direction quicker every day. Our borders are unsecured, allowing ANY one that can access. Our military is overextended. EIGHTY percent of our ports are controlled by foreigners. Fixing these problems would seem to be common sense, yet NO attempt had been made to remedy the situation other than a little lip service. We are in a serious decline and its a just a matter of time till we implode from within.

History shows that the average civilization can carry on for about 200 years before it chokes on its own vomit. We are living on borrowed time here, and its not easy to watch sometimes.

Wow Hotguns want to get a cup of coffee and extend this discussion (we're on the same page). You covered the basics but there is still a great deal more to whats wrong. I find it ironic that even though I live near a college there are few people I can even argue with. They just don't read enough I guess. BTW just heard that china has gained 300% in owning our debt over the past few years.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Liberalism of america
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

I can only name 3 of the simpsons and i hate the dang show

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Our math and science scores are lower than that of many other nations

Plain wrong.

kinda simple, but i think woody nailed it. i call it the whining of america. the old "i didn't think, but it's not my fault it's somebody elses fault" crap you here all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    the pussification of america
    Ive been saying that for at least the last 5-8 years

I was just talking about this PC nonsense with my parents not one hour ago! Saw a commercial for Ace Hardware. They used to say "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man". NOW, it's "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks". I have no doubt some female employee complained. Doesn't the term mankind also include women? Did anyone ever doubt this? We all need to lighten up! As long as my paycheck is signed right, you can call me just about anything -- except liberal!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Euc, I stand with you
    I need to mention that my boys, a Sophomore and Freshman in High School rank 46 and 36 respectivly within their Class of 900 and 950 respectively
    Both of them are enrolled in Jr ROTC and the 17 Yr-old is already getting mailings from institutions such as West Point, and similar. The 15 yr-old is acomplished in Jr year Algebra (he's been a Student of the G A I T S program since he was in 5th grade)
    I truly believe it's more PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY to bring up our children to respect Auhority, and ther laws of OUR Country, rather than blame the ill-wills on others.
    I hear in the news "ohhhhhhhh he (the Student) was a victim of ADHD, was not treated fairly, wasnh't given enough time to do his homework, and it goes on. Being RESPONSIBLE for your actions (or in-actions) is the key.
    I firmly believe WE are the cornerstones of our childrens' future.
    I also beileve that WE should remain EVER VIGILANT against all Enemies, both Forign and Domestic
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I saw a report on that, and it dealt with the rights (5) in the first amendment (speech, religion, assembly, etc, etc) only. At least that's the version of the story that I got.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links