Patriots, by James Wesley, Rawles

This is a discussion on Patriots, by James Wesley, Rawles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After the recommendation of Lights Out on another thread, and finishing it, I decided to check on a few other books mentioned. Someone mentioned Patriots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriots, by James Wesley, Rawles

After the recommendation of Lights Out on another thread, and finishing it, I decided to check on a few other books mentioned.

Someone mentioned Patriots. James Wesley, Rawles is a former Army Intelligence officer who lectures and writes on survival topics. His site, survivalblog.com is full of information for those who feel the end of the world as we know it could be imminent and wise people should get prepared.

I picked up this 387 pg manual on how to survive the economic collapse (interesting timing, considering the book was started in the 90s, I believe) last week. A new US government comes to power following the collapse of our monetary system. This government is chummy with the U.N. When segments of the U.S. population are not willing to follow orders and even be relocated to camps 'for their own good,' UN troops are brought in to the US to help 'loyal' Armed Forces subdue those who insist on things like the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The story line is, in general, easy to follow. However, after having just finished Lights Out, I did at times get confused as to characters and who was doing what.

Patriots is much more technical than Lights Out. Everything from communications to weapons is far more detailed, including trying to help some of us non-technical folks understand the difference in types of radio signals and ranges best used to escape detection by enemy forces.

Eventually, the 'resistance' unit which the novel focuses on finds itself resisting a UN-led force trying to destroy those who will not follow the government's orders. Subsequent battles are more of resistance to military units than is true in Lights Out, where most of the battles tend to be against lawless gangs out for their own benefit.

I recommend this new version of an American Revolution. As Jefferson noted, "Ever so often, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

DC Founder
    I bought and read that book back in October/November, after having it recommended by a friend. It was a pretty good, like you said, considering what is going on today. I believe he said he wrote it as a work of fiction that can also serve as a "how to" book. Good read, regardless....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Yep, read it back in the nineties. Thought it was good and bought a second as a loaner. Here is his blog: SurvivalBlog.com

Add 1 more to those that think it is a good book. I saw on another thread here recently there is an updated version of it that just came out recently.

Lots to think about in that book for sure.

Be Safe,

NosaM

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Add another happy reader. I haven't picked up the latest copy (I believe one or two added chapters), but the previous edition I have is an engaging and educating read.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I just read it and JWR has added a glossary and index of topics to it to make it even more effective as a how-to. I recommend it to anyone with even a hint of preparedness to them.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

yeah there is a ton of info and tech data in there... i wish i had the version with the Index.

heads up tho.. the story while interesting was written poorly... though that wasn't the point of the book

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The book is exceedingly apprapos...to the point where the president is named Jamal and is the first african American president. As far as I can tell, the info is technically accurate (not a comms guy so not too sure there) and would double as an undercover how to book.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

You know, I have never in my life met a negro named 'Jamal'.
    Most every other common name but no Jamal never.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
    Why couldn't dudes name be John, Steve, Mark, or Bill which are quite common...amongst American negro males.

Regardless I have received multiple personal and direct suggestions to read this book for an opinion so I plan to buy it today for reading next week as I'm on vacation.

- Henry aka 'Janq'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I just purchased my copy of "Patriots". Will begin reading tomorrow.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I agree with other posters that this book is more technical and more of a 'how to' manual than Lights Out. It was the book that started me on the road to preparedness and for that I am grateful.

Check out SurvivalBlog.com created and run by Rawles. It has daily posts regarding all things reparedness related and has index and search capabilities. Over the last week there have been several posts addressing the effects of EMP. It is a must read for me every day.
    NRA Life Member

I read this a few years ago and bought the newer version for a gift thru Amazon. It had newer references to the Obama administration in this, which was a nice update. Rawles hasa the great website SurvivalBlog.com, which has very useful info. It really is amazing how this man wrote this book over a decade ago and the story really has more realism today than back then.

It is a great read, and for anyone interested, he has a manual out thru a small publisher that shows how to stretch your money farther these days and what to buy to be prepared for any major disaster.

VIP Member
    I finished reading this last night, I really enjoyed this book, gives one a lot to think about considering current events.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You know, I have never in my life met a negro named 'Jamal'.
    Most every other common name but no Jamal never.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
    Why couldn't dudes name be John, Steve, Mark, or Bill which are quite common...amongst American negro males.

Regardless I have received multiple personal and direct suggestions to read this book for an opinion so I plan to buy it today for reading next week as I'm on vacation.

- Henry aka 'Janq'
    Malcolm Jamal Warner?

Malcolm-Jamal Warner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This is a great book, you should check out his blog.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links