Scare force one!!!

Scare force one!!!

This is a discussion on Scare force one!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw this on the news this morning. Oh don't tell the public, lets just scare them out of their wits! Terror Scare In NYC A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scare force one!!!

Saw this on the news this morning. Oh don't tell the public, lets just scare them out of their wits!

Terror Scare In NYC
    A jumbo jet being chased by a F-16 fighter jets buzzed Lower Manhattan this morning, panicking New Yorkers, many of whom were forced to evacuate their office buildings.

It was not a terrorist attack, however, but a photo opportunity for Air Force One, sources told the Post.

President Obama was in Washington at the time, but the low-flying 747 circling the Statue of Liberty was one of the planes used as Air Force One, sources said.

The NYPD and the city were notified of the planned flight, but did not share that information with Mayor Bloomberg and other New Yorkers, many of whom said they were terrified.

White House Apologizes
    White House Military Office Director Louis Caldera apologized for any panic caused by a flight mission and photo op that looked like Air Force One and fighter jets heading toward the New York City skyline Monday morning.

Caldera said he approved the mission last week and that federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey.

VIDEO: Low-Flying N.Y. Plane a 'Photo Op'

But for people who work in the New York financial district, the event brought back nightmares of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Numerous buildings in lower Manhattan evacuated in a panic during this morning's false alarm.

"It's clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused," Caldera said in a White House issued paper statement.

The plane that flew in New York Monday was a version of the Boeing 747 that's called Air Force One when the president is aboard.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg blasted the photo opportunity for being insensitive and showing "poor judgment."

In a brief statement after the flight, the New York Police Department acknowledged it was aware the flight was happening, but claimed the Federal Aviation Administration told them not to talk about it.

"The flight of a VC-25 aircraft and F-16 fighters this morning was authorized by the FAA for the vicinity of the Statue of Liberty with directives to local authorities not to disclose information about it but to direct any inquiries to the FAA Air Traffic Security Coordinator," the statement said.

The aircraft involved in this morning’s mission, a VC-25, is the military’s version of a Boeing 747, with state-of-the-art communication and electronic equipment. It is a backup plane that is sometimes used as Air Force One to carry the President of the United States.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs was asked several times about the flight during his daily briefing and promised he would try to get back to reporters with some answers.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I am sure not on the Obama band wagon but they did inform the officials in New York about the flyover if they had any objections they should have voiced them then not after it blew up in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    I am sure not on the Obama band wagon but they did inform the officials in New York about the flyover if they had any objections they should have voiced them then not after it blew up in their face.
    I agree, here is what I posted on ConservativeStronghold.com

If Caldera actually notified NYC and NJ authorities, why should he apologize? Was it a wasteful flight, I think so, but if he notified who he needed to and they failed to let people know then it is not his fault.

I personally think this is just one more example of wasteful Gubment spending.

We have enough photos of Air Force One already.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Somebody screwed up the communications. If people on the ground didn't know, I can imagine their terror of reliving 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Somebody screwed up the communications. If people on the ground didn't know, I can imagine their terror of reliving 9/11.
    Exactly!

The Mayor was not asked nor briefed. "insensitive and showing "poor judgment." is correct.
    "When Democracy Becomes Tyranny I STILL get to vote."

+1 on failed communication.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Brilliant move on the part of Hussein Obammer's administration. You'd think somebody might have stopped and pondered for a moment..."If we blast through at low altitude in what appears to be a commercial jetliner, do you think we might make some folks nervous?"

Yep, I feel real confident in these idiot's ability to run this country.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    NY and NJ authorities were briefed with direction to not release details of the flight.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    NY and NJ authorities were briefed with direction to not release details of the flight.
    Precisely. The FAA screwed up the communications by not allowing the information to be disseminated. Bad form.

and people wanted this administration...what a buffoon!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Senior Moderator
    Chill out people.

Its not smart to disclose the flight plans of Air Force One (or the next jet in line) to anyone other than those that need to know.

The flight of a VC-25 aircraft and F-16 fighters this morning was authorized by the FAA for the vicinity of the Statue of Liberty with directives to local authorities not to disclose information about it but to direct any inquiries to the FAA Air Traffic Security Coordinator," the statement said
    It's just Standard Procedure. It is sensitive information.

Bloomberg is just ticked that he wasn't made aware of it,fact of the matter is, he isn't high enough up in the food chain to warrant it. Thats why he is ticked off.

Flight Plans of high government officials have always been classified and will continue to be so. You don't announce the detail to every terrorist and wannabee for security reasons that only make sense.

Precisely. The FAA screwed up the communications by not allowing the information to be disseminated. Bad form.
    Nope. They informed who they needed to inform. It's called "need to know".
    If you aren't on the list, you don't get informed. Its that simple.

Brilliant move on the part of Hussein Obammer's administration. You'd think somebody might have stopped and pondered for a moment..."If we blast through at low altitude in what appears to be a commercial jetliner, do you think we might make some folks nervous?"
    They either did ponder about it and didn't care, or they didn't ponder about it and did it anyway.

And really...why would they care if they scare the "little" people? What they think or how they act is irrelevant in the big scheme of things. Just wait and see.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think they could have said that there will be a commercial airliner with cameras aboard taking survey pictures. They do not have to announce that it's AF1..even if they had made up a better scenario to tell the public would be better than the panic it caused
    "Brains before Bullets"

Senior Moderator
    I think they could have said that there will be a commercial airliner with cameras aboard taking survey pictures. They do not have to announce that it's AF1..even if they had made up a better scenario to tell the public would be better than the panic it caused
    That would make sense...

if they cared.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If the exhorbitant cost of the F-22 wasn't enough to kill it, tripping over your sword doing a photo op over NY sure as hell won't help the AFs lobby with Joe Public.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    If the exorbitant cost of the F-22 ......
    Slight correction, they were F-16's. Still, those aren't cheap either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links