Apologies to VISTA...

Apologies to VISTA...

This is a discussion on Apologies to VISTA... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few months back I had my new HP computer crash badly with a VISTA OS, I was doing a manual defrag while it was ...

Thread: Apologies to VISTA...

Talking Apologies to VISTA...

A few months back I had my new HP computer crash badly with a VISTA OS, I was doing a manual defrag while it was still plugged into the network, and it went into and endless loop of "Un recoverable system error" where it would attempt a fix then a reboot...

Early diagnostics led me to believe it had done a update and a reboot during the defrag and had trashed the HD....

I spent over 15 hours getting it up and running but not working right so I went to my computer buddy..... I was in the Q for several months while he worked on other systems that were there first....

Now after my Computer buddy ran every test there was for the system and was close to pulling his hair out over it he started loading drivers on at a time.... turned out to be the G Force video board. You could get the OS up run it in VGA but as soon as you loaded the G Force video drivers..... Boom Crash, and endless loop all over again!!!

So it was not a software issue but a hardware one.....

But by now the warranty has expired!!!

A call to HP tech support!! However since I called early in the day I got to talk to someone in the USA, put on hold and transfered to the guy that makes all the decisions....

The result a free repair and shipping with 90 days on parts N labor, they are sending a box to ship!!!

So short story HP treated me right, no hassle, no arguing, N just wanted to say so.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Nice job. Kudos to HP for the good response.

Had you purchased a Dell you would have had the system fixed Next Business Day at your location. No down time.

just my .02

Not sure if your computer is a laptop, but Nvidia is having a problem with multiple video hardware components, see:

Pressure mounts on HP over failing Nvidia graphics cards - The Inquirer

for further details. This is NOT just HP hardware but also Dell and others

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I ordered a new laptop last year for my significant other and chose XP and have been quite pleased with it. I am running an old Apple ibook from 2003! Still plugging away!

glad you are getting everything worked out, they are putting those NIVIDA cards in everything these days...

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My preferred method of avoiding this is to use an OS that doesn't need to defrag.

If I need to run Windows on a computer, I prefer to dual boot with Linux as a sort of system recovery feature. If and when Windows fails, you can usually still access your data with Linux until you can reinstall your Windows.

Another option is to partition in such a manner that your data (pictures, documents and such) are on a separate partition from your OS.

It's quite interesting how video cards can mess everything up. We had a machine at work that wouldn't even get to the BIOS. As soon as we removed the offending video card and ran through the onboard video it worked fine.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    Had you purchased a Dell you would have had the system fixed Next Business Day at your location. No down time.

just my .02
    You must have purchased from a different company that goes by Dell. I had a network card go south while under warrantee, and Dell decides (over the phone, no tech at my location) it is a software problem and pawns me off to Microsoft. Who want $29.95/hour (1 hour minimum) to troubleshoot my system. For a <$100 card. And that doesn't count the time I'm not charging my hourly rate to the contract I'm supposed to be working on. You couldn't give me another Dell.

Oh and it turned out the card was bad, not the software.

That is why you buy business class not consumer class pcs. As a tech you can tell a difference and usually companies treat you right on business class pcs. In my experience HP is the best in customer satisfaction, but their equipment is usually more expensive then Dell. Dell keeps small pc shops in business w/ their consumer class stuff, we see three Dells for every other pc, including white box brands.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Talking Very fast...

Talked to them yesterday and the FED X pre paid box came this AM!!!!!

Yes it is a laptop, a fairly high end one, with all the bells N whistles, N big screen for my aging eyes... But it is when the G Force chip-set video drivers are loaded that it all falls apart....

OWNERS OF HP laptops are up in arms because the dodgy Nvidia graphics chips inside their machines are failing all over the shop.

IDG hack Agam Shah, went trawling through the HP message boards and found a whole heap of users complaining about the way they'd been treated.

Some of the machines affected were not on HP's official list of machines that had their warranty period extended. So when they gave up the ghost - as a certain Charlie Demerjian said they would - users we left holding useless lumps of ex-technology.

The laptop owners are getting the distinct feeling that, once their affected laptops pass 15 months old, they keel over and die. One, calling himself Surveyor writes: "Many people with HP dv9000 series have had the same problem. Bad graohics [sic] card after about 10-18 months of use. This calls for a new motherboard. ($350+) Keep in mind that HP will tell you that if it is no longer under warranty its your baby. I guess the lucky ones are those who encountered these problems before the warranty died. Good Luck with this one."

Another, named Unfortunate, writes: "It seems that I am a brand new victim. My dv9500 cto's screen became a "colorful" LCD two days ago after working well for 1 and a half years. 1 year Warranty has expired... Dont know what to do next."

He's not alone.

Pressure is mounting on HP to add to its list of models that will be covered by the extended warranty period since the tactic of keeping cooling fans on full blast isn't helping much.

Neither HP or Nvidia would comment on IDG's story. Charlie Demerjian had plenty to say but we'll save that for later.
    Yep that is the series mine is, but HP did not give me any grief at all and I have the Name, phone no and extension of the guy that authorizes these repairs!!! N the Pavilion with a NVIDA chip set that I am using now is over 5 years old!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Don't get me started on Vista. I work in tech support and I loathe what Microsoft released upon us with Vista!

I totally understand. I have friends who are pulling their hair out now & again while using Vista!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Not true for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I totally understand. I have friends who are pulling their hair out now & again while using Vista!
    VISTA has been one smooth OS for me, in fact it has been the cleanest version since 3.11 You just have to figure out the hints N tricks and if you have played with XP at all you already know most of them....
    I was blaming VISTA for my system failure but it turned out to be a hardware failure.....

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    Don't get me started on Vista. I work in tech support and I loathe what Microsoft released upon us with Vista!
    Vista is a virus, plain and simple. It's only saving grace is that Millennium Edition is still worse.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links