Man kills 5-no call to remove offending weapons

This is a discussion on Man kills 5-no call to remove offending weapons within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Floridatoday - Man who attacked Dutch royals and killed 5 dies Man who attacked Dutch royals and killed 5 dies Posted 5/1/2009 6:35 AM ET ...

Thread: Man kills 5-no call to remove offending weapons

Floridatoday - Man who attacked Dutch royals and killed 5 dies

Man who attacked Dutch royals and killed 5 dies
    Posted 5/1/2009 6:35 AM ET

AMSTERDAM (AP) The man who drove his car into a crowd of parade spectators and killed five in an attempt to attack the Dutch royal family died early Friday of his injuries, prosecutors said.

The 38-year-old suspect, identified by Dutch media as Karst Tates, had been in critical condition since the attack that marred the Netherlands' Queen's Day holiday on Thursday.

Twelve other people were hurt when Tates rammed his car through police barricades toward an open-topped bus carrying Queen Beatrix and several other members of the royal family.

Tates told one of the first police officers to rush to his car that the attack was aimed at the royal family, prosecutor Ludo Goossens said Thursday. But the motive was unclear.

Prosecutors said Tates' death ended the criminal investigation against him, but that they would continue to investigate whether he acted alone. Prosecutors have not released his identity, in line with Dutch privacy laws.

"So far there are no indications" anybody else was involved, prosecutors said in a statement.

Police who searched Tates' house Thursday "found no weapons, explosives or indications of other suspects," prosecutors said.

Tates' failed attack on the immensely popular royal family played out live on nationwide television during coverage of the queen's bus trip to her palace Het Loo in the eastern city of Apeldoorn.

Friday newspapers and websites featured photos of the carnage wreaked by his small black car as it plowed through crowds of people hoping to catch a glimpse of the royals.

The car came to a halt when it slammed into a stone monument just meters (yards) from the royal bus.

A shaken Queen Beatrix extended her sympathies to the victims in a brief nationally televised address Thursday. "What began as a great day has ended in a terrible tragedy that has shocked us all deeply," she said.

Tates was charged with attacking the royal family, manslaughter or murder and had faced up to life imprisonment if convicted.

Dutch media, citing neighbors, said he recently was fired from his job and was to be evicted from his home. Police said he had no history of mental illness or police record.

Officials in Apeldoorn said he had a map of the queen's route.

Celebrations were canceled for Queen's Day, the national holiday that draws millions of people to street dances, picnics and outdoor parties around the country. Flags were lowered to half staff.
    Once again, the consistency of legislators, the media and knee-jerk reaction liberals is shown--NOT!

This man commits multiple murders with an inanimate object whose only evil quality seems to be the one who owned and operated it. But NO ONE, in Netherlands of all places, could see to suggest legislation barring these evil, crime-committing, death-dealing instruments of destruction.

Okay. Sorry. Done ranting. I just get so frustrated when the Brady Bunch opens their piehole over crimes committed by people with a machine, and can never manage to see the correlation. Nor can they see how many more deaths and much more tragedy is caused when cars are used in careless or illegal ways.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Many more people are killed in the US by cars than guns. About 38-40,000 killed a year in the US by cars. And by guns it is like what? 10,000? But 50% of gun deaths are suicides, so I honestly wouldn't count them because people that want to kill themselves will find a way if they didn't have a gun. So that leaves 5,000 gun deaths a year in the US. But I find it about impossible to figure which of those are good deaths. I.E. Police shooting a BG or someone defending their home or business. If someone has a link to the stats please post it.

I say we should have background checks for people buying cars, if felons or mentally unstable people aren't allowed have a gun... why should allow them to drive around at 65mph in a 2000lbs death machine?

"a 2,000-pound car traveling 65 mph has slightly more than 283,000 foot-pounds of energy" ~http://www.vcu.edu/cppweb/tstc/crash....html#footnote
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

All very true and of course people need to be responsible with firearms and automobiles. The difference, at least in this country, is that driving a car is a priviledge and owning a gun is a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    All very true and of course people need to be responsible with firearms and automobiles. The difference, at least in this country, is that driving a car is a priviledge and owning a gun is a right.
    You wouldn't believe that with the way our politicians act toward guns.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    While the 2A and I agree with you, it is apparently as tough to get pols who read the COTUS as it is to get pols to read spending bills.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Links