Prairie Dog Insurrection: The Ruger 10/22 Answer

Prairie Dog Insurrection: The Ruger 10/22 Answer

This is a discussion on Prairie Dog Insurrection: The Ruger 10/22 Answer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A rancher friend of ours has had her pastures over-run by prairie dogs this spring. She has six different low pastures all in varies states ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Dog Insurrection: The Ruger 10/22 Answer

Talking Prairie Dog Insurrection: The Ruger 10/22 Answer

A rancher friend of ours has had her pastures over-run by prairie dogs this spring. She has six different low pastures all in varies states of prairie dog insurrection. The dogs were actually starting to build interstates, rest stops and schools.

They had also started building defensive positions, breastworks and the like. Action was required.

Day one of the attack was furious. Over three hours of pitched battles. The Ruger 10/22 performed beautifully. I have a $40 scope on it zeroed at about 50 yeards. It ran flawlessly, eating Winchester Super X JHP, CCI Mini-Mag HP's, and CCI Velocitors without a hiccup. Shots from 10 yards out to probably 100 to 125. Impressed even me. As the day progressed, working up and down the six pastures, my trigger work improved a lot. Practice makes better. Lost count at 30 + for the day. I was really impressed with the 10/22.

Day Two, a week later, was shorter, with fewer dog terrorists, say an hour over the six fields, but productive with about 15 KIA's.

Day Three, today, was a a quick 15 minutes with the Super X and 5 KIA's.

The Ruger performed flawlessly during the campaign, as did all of the ammo. I'd forgotten how much fun the Ruger was, and it's accuracy a little uncanny. This is a stock, plain jane 10/22 with a cheap scope shooting out to 100 to 125 yards. Very fun.

Best of all, it was great to work on the trigger squeeze, breathing, and all that again.

Fun times, and just wanted to share.

The wife wanted to play with her Winchester 30-30, but that'll wait for another day. Just the shockwave from the 30-30 would turn those critters inside out.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Hopefully no attacks from the enemy worked.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Fun times, and just wanted to share.
    That does have Ruger 10/22 written all over it. Ahh.......tales of the red mist.
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/downlo...009_Coupon.pdf
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/game/default.htm

When I was a kid I took a lot of birds
    with my Ruger 10/22

VIP Member
    So how was the prairie dog stew?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Wish I could have been there to fight with ya. My 10/22 hasn't seen enough action and everywhere I go those prairie dogs are barking and antagonizing me!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The Prairie Dog / 10/22 battle has been fought for many years. One of my most fun memories of my dad was out camping one time, he shot a prairie dog at about 50 yards. While walking out to it ( I have this on camera) he says to himself "Ahh, I can see the glistening guts in the sun."

Administrator
    The 10/22 is tough to beat. I cant wait to try out my 17HMR on a few later this year.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why kill these cute little guys..

I wish I had a place where I could shoot prairie dogs. Some of their towns cover hundreds of square miles, so I've heard. When I was younger we had lots of armadillos to rid from our property.

There are some on this forum that despise the thought of killing "innocent" little animals. Usually these people haven't witnessed the destruction caused by the not so innocent creatures. I am confident that the animals that need protection have seasons or are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    Why kill these cute little guys..
    Not sure if this was serious or tongue in cheek so I'll play:

Because as the OP said, the cute guys moved into a pasture. Next thing that happens is the cute horses break their legs in a hole. The dogs eat down the vegitation leaving nothing left growing. Expansion of people has reduced natural predators allowing populations to get out of control and then overpopulation leads to disease which kills them anyway. Then you're left with dead dogs and starving horses with broken legs.....
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    And it's so much faster than having those guys with the Prairie dog Vacuum Truck come out to suck the little guys up. Have you seen this? I saw it on TV and it was the oddest thing. I wonder where they release the live captured PDs? And how much it costs the next guy whose pastures they invade.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    And it's so much faster than having those guys with the Prairie dog Vacuum Truck come out to suck the little guys up. Have you seen this? I saw it on TV and it was the oddest thing. I wonder where they release the live captured PDs? And how much it costs the next guy whose pastures they invade.
    There is the propane injection method too where they inject propane and oxygen down the hole and blow them up. Doing it the Rugar 10/22 method is called "feeding eagles" because the birds get the benifit (especially this time of year when they need to feed their cute chicks in the nest).

There are sooo many positives.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    And it's so much faster than having those guys with the Prairie dog Vacuum Truck come out to suck the little guys up.
    That is hysterical! Has to be from the Onion News Network?

I wonder where they release the live captured PDs? And how much it costs the next guy whose pastures they invade.
    They drop the little suckers off in the next county, and start making "Sales Calls" there the next month, LOL.

propane injection method too where they inject propane and oxygen down the hole and blow them up
    That sounds fun too............Kind of like a "Hey ya'll! Watch this!" moment.........

Our rancher friend has horses, including our two Tennessee Walkers, so we have vested interests in keeping the pastures clean and healthy.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ah, the anticipation mounts. We leave on June 5th to hunt a 7000 acre ranch in the Trinidad, CO. area. Really looking forward to this trip as my Son and oldest Grandson (15) are going with me. Probably won't bother taking the 10/22 as we try to set up where most shots are in the 200-400 yd. range. I'll be using Remington 700 in 22-250, AR-15 .223 and Ruger #1 in .204 Ruger. Can't wait.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links