911 Operator hangs up repeatedly on caller.

This is a discussion on 911 Operator hangs up repeatedly on caller. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; YouTube - Why people who believe in censorship suck Wow! How do you say lawsuit?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 Operator hangs up repeatedly on caller.

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    holy crap!! that is crazy!! i would totally file a lawsuit!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

I watched that. While I believe the 911 operator was DEFINITELY out of line, I also think that if the girl had just stopped cursing, she may have gotten somewhere. I understand that in a crisis situation, colorful language usually flies about. I do the same, but not in an argumentative way like she did.

There were mistakes made on both ends, but as a 911 operator, he should have had a bit more patience, especially when he already knew there was a medical emergency on the other end.

At any rate, hopefully that girl will be calmer next time.

Paul34, with all respect, you are wrong. The girl is a young 17 year old who is in emotional shock watching her father, for all she knew, dying on the kitchen floor of her house. The fist time she was asking herself what the freek because no one was answering the phone. As soon as he picked up and said 911 she turned to a civil tongue until the 911 operator decided he should STOP doing his job and play parent instead of listening to what was wrong and why she was so upset. And then he went on to LIE to Fire Rescue and to the local PD. This man, while maybe once a good officer, does a great dishonor to LEO's everywhere.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I saw this at HotAir.com

I thought it was recent but it's an old news story, it happened late last summer/early fall. The dispatcher (20-yr. PD Sgt.) got a 2 week suspension w/o pay and had to take some additional training.

Human nature tells me that this was the first time "he got caught" at it.

Be Safe,

NosaM

As much as I don't recommend that we should be using profanity while on the phone with a 911 operator it should be avoided if possible. But since having said that I will put using profanity in this context.

Some people use profanity more than others. To these people, swearing is just a way of speaking. It's as common as using non offensive words. This 911 dispatcher should have taken this into account. The least he could have asked is what the nature of the emergency was under the circumstances.

Using profanity as a criteria to hang up on a 911 caller was unprofessional on the part of this Sgt. with the police department. Hopefully the two week suspension without pay and retraining will make up for his unprofessional attitude.

Thankfully no one suffered any negative effects.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The officer is there to help and to dispatch emergency agency's to respond to an emergency. period!!! He is not there to judge the caller on the other end.
    This story just aired on HLN this morning. the officer should be fired!!
    The man could have died becouse of him.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Woah -- I get where language is offensive, but come ON! This is a possible life-threatening emergency! She could call my mother every name in the book and I would STILL send an ambulance out there. That officer was out of line. Way out.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    I've never been a dispatcher, but I've heard lots and lots of kooks calling in and certainly have been the responder to many as well. I can understand the frustration of the Sgt., he was probably pissed at being on dispatch. No excuse for what happened, but thats the way I see it.
    Also, the clip kept cutting off the conversation, so who knows what was edited out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Ok, I've heard enough to know that 20 year veteran of the police force should be gone period. His actions were inexcuseable. I was trained as a military cop, but we received allot of the same training and that's just plain wrong.

This has nothing to do with all the cops, this is one individual cop who needs to retire in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I like the part where he arrested her for "abuse of 911". I'm sure that girls language has since improved now that the police force will be paying for her college.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I watched that. While I believe the 911 operator was DEFINITELY out of line, I also think that if the girl had just stopped cursing, she may have gotten somewhere. I understand that in a crisis situation, colorful language usually flies about. I do the same, but not in an argumentative way like she did.

There were mistakes made on both ends, but as a 911 operator, he should have had a bit more patience, especially when he already knew there was a medical emergency on the other end.

At any rate, hopefully that girl will be calmer next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Paul34, with all respect, you are wrong. The girl is a young 17 year old who is in emotional shock watching her father, for all she knew, dying on the kitchen floor of her house. The fist time she was asking herself what the freek because no one was answering the phone. As soon as he picked up and said 911 she turned to a civil tongue until the 911 operator decided he should STOP doing his job and play parent instead of listening to what was wrong and why she was so upset. And then he went on to LIE to Fire Rescue and to the local PD. This man, while maybe once a good officer, does a great dishonor to LEO's everywhere.
    Omega2669 -- agree with you 100%. The only foul language that came out of the girls mouth was when no operator had as yet answered the call. With a loved on the floor, possibly dying, it's easy to understand her frustration especially since this was the second call to 911 as the first one had gone unanswered. Had the officer not taken to chastising her for using foul language (again, before he answered the call), the whole incident would never have happened. This is entirely this officer's fault. If a 911 operator can't deal with a hysterical teenager who's watching her father possibly dying any better than this, they have no business on the force. If he's willing to possibly let a person die by not dispatching an ambulance because of foul language, what's he going to do with hysterical family members when he responds to an accident scene?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've never been a dispatcher, but I've heard lots and lots of kooks calling in and certainly have been the responder to many as well. I can understand the frustration of the Sgt., he was probably pissed at being on dispatch. No excuse for what happened, but thats the way I see it.
    Also, the clip kept cutting off the conversation, so who knows what was edited out.
    Sixto -- there was no editing (unless it was done by the police department). The cutting off of the recording was the officer hanging up on the girl.
    Transcript of 911 recordings as provided by the Lincoln Park Police Department:

10:07 a.m.

Caller: What the f***.

Sgt:9-1-1.

Caller: I need an ambulance to (address) (said very quickly).

Sgt.:Well, OK, first of all, you don't need to swear over 9-1-1, and slow down.

Caller: Send me the f****** ambulance.

10:08 a.m.

Caller: Are you going to give me an ambulance?

Sgt:Are you going to swear again, you stupid ass?

Caller: Are we going to have a f****** problem?

Sgt:Huh?

Caller: (inaudible) problem (both talking simultaneously).

Sgt: No, you're not going to get one.

Caller: Do you want to lose your f****** job?

10:09 a.m.

Caller: I just want to know what's your name, because you're getting sued.

Sgt:Good.

Caller: What is it? Send the f****** ambulance.

Sgt:Good for you. Cause you're a buffoon.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

That's sad. Unfortunately, in my experience, bad experiences with dispatchers is common. I've been in Security for about a decade on and off. I'd estimate that 10% or more of my calls to dispatch have been terrible experiences, and another 10% just unpleasant. In Seattle those numbers are probably double. You just have to suck it up, behave the way they want (I've even had to apologize for offending a dispatcher who was upset that I described a vagrant that was cutting his wrists outside our business as black instead of african-american). It got the police and medics rolling, so I did it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Bad on both parts... I see her point and hopefully she gets a good paycheck from the law suit.

And (I don't condone his actions) I see his point. No one should have to deal with foul language. That coming from an army Para who can make sailors blush! But he should have done his job and found out what was wrong.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure that if I called 911 during an emergency and no one answered and then I called back a second time and it was ringing and ringing I'd let out a "What the f***!" as well. I'm not a 17 year old girl. I'm a 37 year old Christian, a husband and a father of two. If one of my family members was on the floor NEEDING an ambulance (right now!) and this guy started jerking me around I'd sound a whole lot worse than this girl.

If my family member died or was permanently injured from not receiving care while this guy was jerking me around...Lets just say there is a good chance I would spend the rest of my life in prison as a result.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links