Motorcycle help needed

Motorcycle help needed

This is a discussion on Motorcycle help needed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In short: Anyone have problems with the '84 honda magna 700 engine not firering? In long: I am a new rider looking for a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle help needed

Motorcycle help needed

In short: Anyone have problems with the '84 honda magna 700 engine not firering?

In long: I am a new rider looking for a good starter bike. My focus is for an early to mid '80s standard jap bike. I have found a 1984 Honda Magna 700 with ~14k miles on it at a reasonable price, the problem is that the engine cranks over. I talked with the seller but I haven't looked at the bike in person. I'm wondering if this is an easy fix or if I have to overhaul the engine, because it will effect my decision whether to buy it or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thijones View Post
    In short: Anyone have problems with the '84 honda magna 700 engine not firering?

In long: I am a new rider looking for a good starter bike. My focus is for an early to mid '80s standard jap bike. I have found a 1984 Honda Magna 700 with ~14k miles on it at a reasonable price, the problem is that the engine cranks over. I talked with the seller but I haven't looked at the bike in person. I'm wondering if this is an easy fix or if I have to overhaul the engine, because it will effect my decision whether to buy it or not.

Thanks
    Do you mean cranks over with no spark because is supposed to crank over.

In short I do not think it will be a serious problem but I would confirm what the problem is before I made a purchase. Ask the owner if he is willing to send it to a shop, if it is minor you will pay if not he pays and renegotiate a price.

Back in the early 1980's for two years Uncle Sam put a very high tax on all import bikes 750cc's or higher so the Jap's made a 700 with about the power of the 750.

I had a 700cc Yamaha Maxim which I wish I still had just for the heck of it. It was in cherry condition when I sold it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Couple of quick questions. How long has the bike been sitting? Months, Years? Here is what I would check first. You say the bike cranks? I will assume you mean the engine wants to start but doesn't. I would if possible pull the spark plug boot off the spark plug stick a screw driver into the boot and crank the end for a few seconds. You will see a spark jump from screw driver to Eng. block (ground) or anything metal. (ground) make sure that the you are holding the screw drive by the plastic handle of you will get a tazer like shock!!!
    I would pull the spark plug out of the Eng. block (move spark plug wire out of the way) and put your finger over the spark plug hole and crank it once again see if the engine while cranking pushes your thumb off the hole. Impromptu to compression tester. If the pressure pops your thumb off you should have enough compression. There should not be oil on your thumb maybe the smell of gas. The smell of gas should smell like gas and not varnish. Yes, varnish gas that sits for a long time turns into a gooey sticky mess that blocks the jets in the carb.
    So you have good compression and good spark then I would assume you have bad gas drain what ever in let inside get fresh gas pour 1 a gallon also I would dump in some marvel mystery oil and some gum-out carb cleaner. It will take awhile put it will start. if it doesn't may have to set the carb out to be boiled to get rib of the gunk inside it. I wouldn't crank it for more than 30 seconds straight so you don't burn out the starter. Old school trick push the bike by hand or roll down a hill and pop the clutch (becarefull not to fall on your butt) it will sputter several times each time getting stronger and it will run it is a Honda. Any other questions PM me or email me HitchKing@aol.com

Lead Moderator
    If it has spark and compression it probably can run. However I suggest you find a buddy who has a basic understanding of working on bikes. Not to insult you , but you sound as if you need some help with learning how to repair work. If you buy a used , older bike you will be turning some wrenches .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I still have to go out and see the bike, but from what I gathered from the seller, the starter works, but something is messing with getting the engine running. It's been sitting for about a year(or so the seller says).

I understand that any older bike will require attention, but I don't want my first bike to be a science project, which it seems like that's where it's heading. I think that I'll pass on this one and keep my eyes open.

Thanks

Edit: I'll keep you guys updated.

Lead Moderator
    Unless you are going to spend some loott, any used bike can and probably will have problems. Working on a bike can be tons of fun(if it isn't your main mode of transportation).
    For example , my bro owns a 80 something Shadow. It runs , but he had to re wire the turn signals . He also had a hesitation and sputtering that wound up being the air filter coming apart and running through the carb.
    I got a 99 Kawasaki that needed a little TLC to run right. New parts, some work and I have a fun bike to ride. I am expecting to have to put some more parts and effort into the bike just because things can break.
    I find some of the fun of riding is working on the bike to get it working right. Get a Clymer manual, find some online forums for the bike you own(want) and have at it!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

you need to look else where for another bike..preferably one that runs..being a new rider, lower yout sights a little..spend some time on a 250 and not over 400cc..after abt a year, then look at a bigger bike..also TAKE A MSF COURSE!! It may save your life!
    "Brains before Bullets"

All I've been looking for is a UJM. Engine size is not a primary concern, in fact as DrLewall said, I am staying away from larger bikes. This Magna seemed to be a sweet deal, low miles low price. But it since is doesn't run, I'm not touching it. I've taken the MSF and am licensed. $25 or $50 at OCC.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good call staying away from it. If it doesn't run, nothing but trouble if your not experienced enough to take it apart and put it back together.

Enjoy the ride, I love mine and it's so relaxing to me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

experanced magan owner here.
    My V65magna passed away about a year ago. the V4 magnas have an oiling problem inhearent in the design. pass on the bike unless you have spair cash for an aftermarket tap and re-plumb. the 700 is a bit of a dog, but this being your first, that is fine. Not running is a quick pass. it does not matter the price or the miles if you can not tinker with it your self.

I sugest a pass. and pass on magnas also. (I sure miss mine)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Agreed with a 250 as a starter bike. I'd suggest the Kawasaki Ninja 250. Plenty available at great prices and very reliable.
    The doer alone learneth.

Um some of those early Magna engines had a cam problem, and bad cam timing could be an issue here...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I'd pass.
    Not starting may mean a carb rebuild (varnish in the gas) or rust in the tank.
    Is there spark?
    I know there are lots of running old bikes out there because I see them all the time.

I've got 37 years in as a Honda mechanic and you should pass on this one. The bike is 25 years old and it doesn't have enough miles on it for one riding season. The carbs will be shot and very expensive to repair. Don't buy anything that isn't running properly. You may get lucky every once in a while and get a bargain in a fixer upper, but there are more losers than winners in that game. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    I've got 37 years in as a Honda mechanic and you should pass on this one. The bike is 25 years old and it doesn't have enough miles on it for one riding season. The carbs will be shot and very expensive to repair. Don't buy anything that isn't running properly. You may get lucky every once in a while and get a bargain in a fixer upper, but there are more losers than winners in that game. JMHO
    I would pass too but not because of the mileage, I have a 86 700 shadow with only a tad over 20K on it, it looks new, runs like a new bike, but then it has been maintained, stored inside, I am a fair weather rider, and only put about 700 a year on it....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links