Switzerland and Why I Want to Visit!

This is a discussion on Switzerland and Why I Want to Visit! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found a little info on Switzerland earlier and made a comment about it on another thread but I wanted to know more. I found ...

Thread: Switzerland and Why I Want to Visit!

Switzerland and Why I Want to Visit!

I found a little info on Switzerland earlier and made a comment about it on another thread but I wanted to know more. I found this article (long) about Switzerland and their gun laws and how guns are ingrained into their very way of life and how it compares to the US.
    http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

2. Remove Ads

Brady, the article is dated 1990. There has been a lot of changes with the rules in Switzerland. It has radically changed to more regulation and rules dictated by its neighbors as per this thing called the Schengen treaty. Unfortunately, even in Switzerland, the antis are making some progress. sorry to burst the bubble.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

From what I have been reading some differences between then and now are that the military members keeping their rifles at home (still full auto) don't have any ammo except for 2000 emergency response soldiers. But anybody can still goto one of the 2000 gun ranges and buy ammo to shoot all day long at cost if you're in the military and shooting your military rifle. The law that says you cannot take range ammo home is STILL being ignored.

The main change is that the previous distinction between retail and private purchases will no longer apply.

Both types of acquisition, as well as weapons obtained by inheritance, would have to be reported to a cantonal office.

Also part of the Schengen requirements, firearms must be tagged before sale, to aid police in criminal investigations involving weapons.

A reason must be given when applying for the permit but the buyer does not have to prove a need.

Hunters, sports shooters and collectors are exempt from giving a reason for purchase.

I know it hasn't stopped there and the pro-gunners are fighting an uphill battle. But it's still better than pretty much anywhere else in Europe.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Links