Anyone here work on appliances? Washer broke !

This is a discussion on Anyone here work on appliances? Washer broke ! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My whirlpool duet front load washer broke. It is 4-5 years old. The drum appears to have seperated from some sort of fiberglass ring. Trying ...

Thread: Anyone here work on appliances? Washer broke !

Anyone here work on appliances? Washer broke !

My whirlpool duet front load washer broke. It is 4-5 years old. The drum appears to have seperated from some sort of fiberglass ring. Trying to figure out how much to repair to see if it is worth it. Thanks
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't work on them, only on My own when they break. Plug out the power and remove some of the side/back panels and take a look it may be something simple that You could repair Yourself.

Administrator
    Mine had a similar thing happen. One of the kids socks wedged itself causing it do get out of whack. Once I figured out how it was put together, the fix was easy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    mine broke yesterday. $600 later wife is happpy again
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    mine broke yesterday. $600 later wife is happpy again

To the original poster: the mechanical end of appliances is delightfully simple compared to, say, the electronics of the security system in a LeSabre (I don't want to talk about it). I recommend you tear into the washer and see what you see. As like as not, you'll find that this piece needs to rest on that piece, and you'll be able to reassemble it and retire to your easy chair to thunderous applause.

Or you'll break it good and have a decent reason for buying a new one. In that case, find $600 for the new one and explosives for the other, as recommended by Maverick.

Actually, if your wife is the frugal sort you can often find one that works quite well on CraigsList or the local Trading Post want-ads found in most communities. Often rich folks will get the new set in their favorite color, and ditch a perfectly workable old set. We got a washer for free recently because it hung up on the 'delicate' cycle. We were fine, as we wear mostly kevlar.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Is it a front loader? or a top loader?

If it's a top-loader you need to unplug the washer and remove the two screws that secure the head (control panel) and flip it up (it will be hinged) and it will just stay in the flipped up position. Now remove the two clips that hold the shell on. They look like curvy "J" shaped steel clips. You will need to "help" them out with a screwdriver by inserting the tip of the driver in the slot and torquing it up until the clip pops out. At this point you will be able to remove the front shell of the washer. From here you will be able to get at your problem which is most likely "drive couplers". You can get them locally at Appliance Parts Source from APWagner for about $8. The whole job should take no longer than 35 minutes. Take care in lining up the shell because the structural integrity of the machine relies on the shell being lined up and clipped in properly. Flip down the head (control panel) and replace screws. Plug in and wash your dirty clothes. Buy some ammo with the money I just saved you.

It looks like they get more for the retail couplers than I pay (through my brother-in-laws appliance business account) when I do my repairs. See here http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?ma...x&cPath=12_258

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Go to this forum and do some reading/searching:

ApplianceGuru.com: The Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

I have found the answer to all my appliance repair questions on this forum. It has helped me fix the refrigerator when it needed a new compressor start relay, the dishwasher, central air conditioning, and our old dryer.

It has save us hundreds of dollars, I keep trying to talk the wife into letting spend that saved money on an AR, so far no luck.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    ...my appliance repair ... has saved us hundreds of dollars, I keep trying to talk the wife into letting spend that saved money on an AR, so far no luck.
    Maybe break something else?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links