Why we should carry at the zoo

This is a discussion on Why we should carry at the zoo within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After the tiger attack at the San Fran zoo now this. 'Ingenious' orangutan makes a run for it at Australian zoo, prompting evacuationBy Associated Press ...

Thread: Why we should carry at the zoo

After the tiger attack at the San Fran zoo now this.

'Ingenious' orangutan makes a run for it at Australian zoo, prompting evacuationBy Associated Press

10:00 AM EDT, May 10, 2009

ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) A zoo in Australia was evacuated Sunday after an "ingenious" 137-pound (62-kilogram) orangutan short-circuited an electric fence and hopped a wall surrounding her enclosure.

The ape, a 27-year-old female named Karta, jammed a stick into wires connected to the fence and then piled up debris to climb a concrete and glass wall at the Adelaide Zoo.

Zoo curator Peter Whitehead told reporters Karta sat on top of the fence for about 30 minutes before apparently changing her mind about the escape and climbing back into the enclosure.

"I think when she actually got out and realized where she was ... she's realized she shouldn't be there so then she's actually hung onto the wall and dropped back into the exhibit," Whitehead said.

Karta came within a few yards (meters) of visitors, who were the first to notice the animal's escape bid.

Whitehead said the animal was not aggressive, but the zoo was cleared as a precaution, and veterinarians stood by with tranquilizer guns in case of trouble.

"You're talking about an animal that's highly intelligent," Whitehead said. "We've had issues with her before in normal day-to-day operations where she tries to outsmart the keepers. She's an ingenious animal."

Officials at the zoo in the southern city of Adelaide would conduct a "thorough review" of the escape bid and it was likely some vegetation that could be used in a future try for freedom would be removed from Karta's enclosure.

Yes, another good reason.

However, that orangutan is a lot smarter than most of our elected officials!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    I was at the zoo last year when a monkey of some sort escaped. It was kinda surreal watching people run like it was a plague, and the zoo keepers running around with large nets. I guess it wouldnt have been so comical if I wasnt able to protect myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I carried a month ago at the zoo for that exact reason. They have signs requesting "no firearms" but I would rather be asked to leave with my gun than leave on a stretcher.

pax
    A long time ago, I was visiting the Phoenix zoo with my two oldest sons, then stroller-aged. Walking along, I noticed several zoo employees moving rapidly through the park carrying radios, nets, and panicky expressions. Apparently there had been a major "break" from one of the monkey islands and there were monkeys all over the zoo.

I turned around and strolled right back out the entrance, heading home. No sense adding to the confusion. And as I told my kids later when they were old enough to appreciate the story, they were so ugly as babies, I didn't want them to get swept up in the dragnet. ;)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

At the local zoo near here you need a shield. the monkeys throw poo at you.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yes, another good reason.

However, that orangutan is a lot smarter than most of our elected officials!
    ...and many of the dirtbags we read about within these threads.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    I turned around and strolled right back out the entrance, heading home. No sense adding to the confusion. And as I told my kids later when they were old enough to appreciate the story, they were so ugly as babies, I didn't want them to get swept up in the dragnet. ;)

pax
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sponsored Links