A Public Service Anouncement~~~Chinese Drywall, this is NOT A JOKE

This is a discussion on A Public Service Anouncement~~~Chinese Drywall, this is NOT A JOKE within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Being a HVAC Contractor, we as an industry are trying to spread-the-word about this serious health issue. This is especially important if you live in ...

Thread: A Public Service Anouncement~~~Chinese Drywall, this is NOT A JOKE

A Public Service Anouncement~~~Chinese Drywall, this is NOT A JOKE

Being a HVAC Contractor, we as an industry are trying to spread-the-word about this serious health issue.

This is especially important if you live in the southern U.S.

Chinese Drywall Complaint Center

If you know of anyone or have family members that have had a home built or remodeled after 2001, and are having health issues this is something you may want to look into
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

'The Chinese-produced drywall is reportedly made with “fly ash,” a waste material from coal-fired power plants. These materials can leak into the air and emit sulfur compounds, including sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. Sulfuric acid has been known to dissolve solder joints and to corrode coils and copper tubing, creating leaks.'
    The modern Confuscianism seems to be:
    "Man producing poisons in products has Man-sized problems."

True, no matter where you are.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just don't get it. 25 years ago, the Chinese were selling products to us that contains lead. I remember when my kids were little that there was a recall on Crayons because they contain lead. Why did the USA made their bed with the Chinese. Now we are Financially stuck with them
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I just don't get it. 25 years ago, the Chinese were selling products to us that contains lead. I remember when my kids were little that there was a recall on Crayons because they contain lead. Why did the USA made their bed with the Chinese. Now we are Financially stuck with them
    Why?
    It's all about money, isn't it? Someone stood to make a pile and screw the peasants. It's been that way all down through the years.

To the OP...
    Thanks for the post...important for people to be aware!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 16th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BS! I have worked in the power industry for the past 23 years, 20 of them at coal-fired power plants, and I can tell you this:

1) The complex I work at recycles all of its Bottom ash (slag that falls out the bottom of the boiler) and Fly ash and uses the stuff for both drywall and concrete additives in local industry.
    2) I installed the equipment that separates the flyash properly so that it can be used to make sheetrock or drywall as it is called. At least 100,000 homes here in San Antonio have some Bottom ash as an additive in the concrete comprising their foundations, at least as many have some of the sheetrock with our flyash in the walls of thier houses.
    3) The Alamodome, convention center and most of the public buildings built in San Antonio after 1978 have specified that the Bottom/Fly ash products from the Calaveras power plants be used in the construction of those buildings to recycle and save money.

I have personally never heard of or seen this type of thing happening anywhere, and I can promise you we have lots of A/C units down here. If solder joints and coils are corroding, more than likely it is from failure to maintain and clean the evap coils, and keep the drains clear of debris.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I too am not going to readily blame the fly ash as the problem. Fly ash is in many products, most commonly in nearly all concrete products. Too many people who are actually in the trade are exposed to it daily, and have been exposed for years. Fly ash would have been caught as being a problem a long time ago, just like asbestos was caught.

However, I will agree that something appears to be wrong with the product.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    BS! I have worked in the power industry for the past 23 years, 20 of them at coal-fired power plants, and I can tell you this:

1) The complex I work at recycles all of its Bottom ash (slag that falls out the bottom of the boiler) and Fly ash and uses the stuff for both drywall and concrete additives in local industry.
    2) I installed the equipment that separates the flyash properly so that it can be used to make sheetrock or drywall as it is called. At least 100,000 homes here in San Antonio have some Bottom ash as an additive in the concrete comprising their foundations, at least as many have some of the sheetrock with our flyash in the walls of thier houses.
    3) The Alamodome, convention center and most of the public buildings built in San Antonio after 1978 have specified that the Bottom/Fly ash products from the Calaveras power plants be used in the construction of those buildings to recycle and save money.

I have personally never heard of or seen this type of thing happening anywhere, and I can promise you we have lots of A/C units down here. If solder joints and coils are corroding, more than likely it is from failure to maintain and clean the evap coils, and keep the drains clear of debris.....

two things:

1) you worked in AMERICA, where we do things a little different from the Chinese. The coal THEY use is not processed like the coal here.

2) It has been Scientifically proven that the Chinese drywall IS the problem. ( I don't have a link anymore, but I'll try to find it)

The point is, there is a problem. A SERIOUS health problem to the folks that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on homes that they can no longer live in. So if you have any evidence to the contrary, I'm sure the CDC would be happy to hear it.

I have personally installed THOUSANDS of air conditioners and I have never seen a coil corrode like that in 30 years of doing this work, as fast as these coils are corroding. How do explain the ground wires in electrical boxes corroding and turning black???

I just replaced a 20 year old air conditioner, it looks virtually brand new (the customer replaced the system because of age and reliability, not because it was leaking or broken) the exposed copper was tarnished, but not black like the coils in the link. "something" is eating these coils and they are failing in MONTHS, not years, so lack of maintenance is NOT the issue
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

While they certainly share the blame, keep in mind that certain builders, in an effort to keep with the now-historical crazy demand of home building, switched over to this product to fill their orders and to get work done. In a sense, it was a cut of a corner-cutting measure (no pun intended).

1) Please tell me just how coal is "processed"? The only processing I know of is where you pulverize it into talcum powder, heat it and blow it into the furnace.
    2) SO2 does not adhere to flyash, it is removed further in the flue gas treatment process such as an absorber (scrubber) tower. Most industrial scrubbers designed within the last 30 years remove 75-99% of all the SO2 from flue gases.
    3) Even if you were in the dirtiest chinese or US plant around, it would still be very difficult for much if any to adhere to flyash; SO2 molecules have a zero electrical charge to them, which is why they are removed during the scrubbing process; they have a very hard time adhering to flyash, which carries only a slightly negative charge. If you wanted SO2 molecules to adhere to the flyash, you have to positively charge them either through chemical or electrical means.

So I just dont see how this is happening, because that defies the laws of physics. I would alsdo like to see the scientific proof of this as well. I am not defending the chinese by any means, but I kind of liken this stuff to the global warming debate, especially when the lawyers get involved.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

The chinese hate us, whats the best way to get rid of us? from the inside. thats the answer.

my apologies to everyone for posting this.

All I wanted to do was make sure everyone had a "heads-up" on a serious health issue.

I had no intention of turning this into a debate on anything else. The fact remains that there is a serious health issue related to products made in China.

Again, MY apologies
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member

I think your apology was unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    my apologies to everyone for posting this.

All I wanted to do was make sure everyone had a "heads-up" on a serious health issue.

I had no intention of turning this into a debate on anything else. The fact remains that there is a serious health issue related to products made in China.

Again, MY apologies
    I think your apology was unnecessary. You did nothing that required one.

There have been enough news stories about this Chinese wallboard issue recently that the problem is apparently a real one. Pointing out the truth in good faith does not put you in a position from which you owe anyone an apology.

Why did the USA made their bed with the Chinese. Now we are Financially stuck with them
    It happened because the political pukes that we sent to congress got into the pockets of US companies who wanted cheap Chinese labor.

The US is paying for its own destruction at the hands of the communist Chinese army.

I think your apology was unnecessary. You did nothing that required one.

There have been enough news stories about this Chinese wallboard issue recently that the problem is apparently a real one. Pointing out the truth in good faith does not put you in a position from which you owe anyone an apology.
    No need to apologize. This poison Chinese wallboard is a serious issue. Glad that you brought it up.

Links