refining of scrap gold at home? Is this similar to melting down brass etc?

This is a discussion on refining of scrap gold at home? Is this similar to melting down brass etc? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Someone at the range I shoot at collects spent shells to melt down to make deep see fishing weights... He showed me a junk of ...

Thread: refining of scrap gold at home? Is this similar to melting down brass etc?

refining of scrap gold at home? Is this similar to melting down brass etc?

Someone at the range I shoot at collects spent shells to melt down to make deep see fishing weights... He showed me a junk of melted down brass (which use to be my .22LR shells) and this got me thinking about if this is similar to melting down scrap gold etc.

I think I could get into collecting scrap gold on the weekends, then melt them down and make pure gold bars, it could be a good hobby that could pays for itself.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Where do you find scrap gold? What is the purity of the scrap gold? Other than that issue, I cant see why it wouldnt work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Where do you find scrap gold? What is the purity of the scrap gold? Other than that issue, I cant see why it wouldnt work.
    Flee market, local ads, any one who has something they don't want any more... like a 14k ring laying around the place.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Administrator
    Suggestion:

You could buy a Graphite Ingot Mold and melt scrap Gold right into that in order to form your Gold into ingot shapes.

BUT, heating and melting Gold that is less than pure gold will not produce ingots of pure Gold.
    It will only produce an ingot of unknown metal purity.

So...you can melt Gold at home but, you really cannot refine impure Gold into pure Gold as a home process or operation.

You could never make refining Gold at home pay unless you had a LOT of Gold to process.

Your BEST BET if you want to buy up scrap Gold is to just buy scrap Gold, broken jewelry, etc. at the lowest scrap Gold price possible - you need to be able to pass up and walk away from scrap Gold that sellers want too much money for - take good close up photos of it - weigh what is 18K Gold - weigh the items that are 14K Gold & likewise with the 10K Gold - and sell it as a "Scrap Gold" lot on Ebay.

Then take the $cash$ that you get from selling that odd scrap Gold and buy a pure Gold investment coin of known/marked purity at as close to the daily spot price as possible.

Buy a Canadian Maple Leaf or a Gold American Eagle with that scrap Gold money.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Buy a Canadian Maple Leaf or a Gold American Eagle with that scrap Gold money.
    I came to that conclusion so far... there are kits being sold for $600 Refining- Equipment and supplies for refining electronic boards, refining electronic scrap, refining gold, refining platinum, refining rhodium & refining silver

Trying to find out info on that.

Links