My friend found something on his property!

This is a discussion on My friend found something on his property! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So my friend has been wanting a lot of land for a long time. So this last winter he came across 40 acres. He bought ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend found something on his property!

My friend found something on his property!

So my friend has been wanting a lot of land for a long time. So this last winter he came across 40 acres. He bought it. So if any one has kept up with the weather in the midwest you know it has neen raining alot. So in tis time between winter and this spring he aquired a Kubota mule. So he calls me in a panic a couple of days after he got it. He went on a tour of his property and found these odd looking plants ranging anywhere from 2-8ft tall. Leaves look familiar.... its green.... has a smell I've smelled at the state before.... is this what i think it is....look on the internet....it is. Marijuana!!!!. It's growing everywhere, so I keep poking at him about him being a drug dealer. So he calls up a friend of ours who is a LEO. He ask's "what do I do about it?'' he proceeds to say well go pull some of it dry it out and smoke it and see if it's any good". The look on his face was golden. After that he told him not to touch it. It was wild and not any good if not cultivated. It grows wild everywhere here. Then my friend said he wondered why helecopters would hover over his property, they were looking to see if anyone was cultivating it. He wanted to go and mow it down and I told him not to because he would just spread it more, if anything put weed killer on it. Sorry to be so long winded. Just thought it was a funny story.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Weird. Just the other day I found some Oxycontin growing in my back yard!

(NOT)
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Sounds like somebody is farming on his land; thats very common. It doesnt just grow wild.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Sixto sez...

Sounds like somebody is farming on his land; thats very common. It doesnt just grow wild.
    Actually, it does grow wild, especially in the midwest... when I was about 12 years old, I found a big plastic bag of weed in our tool shed, but I didn't know what it was. Seems Dad found some growing wild in Kansas and picked a bunch of it, and dried it in the oven.

A few years later when I realized what it was, I confronted Dad on it... he had forgotten it, but then he remembered and laughed, and said he tried to smoke it once, and it induced horrible coughing fits and didn't produce anything he could call a "high"...

There was a story I saw on Discovery Channel about the guy who was first charged with marijuana law enforcement for the FBI in the 20's or 30's... he left the meeting and was looking across the mall in Washington DC and there was wild marijuana growing all over it... and he was concerned that he would never be able to stamp out a weed that grew wild in Washington.

And in the 30's, virtually all rope in the world was made from hemp, and the US government was concerned about hemp supplies being cut off from southeast Asia, so they told a few farmers in Kansas and Oklahoma to plant a little, just in case... if you get out in the real rural areas of the midwest, you'll find pockets of wild marijuana growing all over the place.

There's a substantial difference between wild marijuana and the cultivated cannabis though... wild weed might get you a little high if harvested at the right time, but it's better off used in rope....
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Uh, it's a plant. It has to grow wild some where. All plants, no matter if they are a cultivated crop now, like corn or wheat, started out at some point as wild growing plants. Then when humans realized they could be eaten, or their fruit eaten, they made changes through cross pollination and other farming methods to enhance the crops yield and the plants ability to be grown.

The point is, there is still wild corn, wheat and other crop type plants growing out there. Marijuana shouldn't be any different. There is most likely wild versions of it growing out there some place.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It should be easy enough to tell if it is wild or farmed by the existence or not of male plants, the males flower. Either way I can't imagine LE would not be interested.

Different plants in the Cannabis family, ie,

Hemp: Plant fibers used to make rope, cloth, paper etc

Marijuana : We all know what that's used for.

Difference in the plants is the amount of THC, the chemical responsible for the euphoric effect. Hemp has very little of it, mary jane however.......

I live near Ohio. Many years ago in Meigs Co. the local Sheriff and his Deputies found a huge pot farm. They cut it all down, piled it up and burned it. The local disk jockey made a joke on air that "The Meigs Co Sheriff Dept. found a large marijuana field and burned the plants. Several of the officers were overcome with smoke inhalation but REFUSED treatment for some strange reason."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Actually, it does grow wild in the midwest ... its called hemp. As stated above, hemp is used for making fiberous products like clothing and rope. Hemp was harvested during WWII in the midwest to make rope. It grew wild where I lived in Minnesota .. we called it "ditch weed". You would have to smoke an acre of it to catch a buzz.

Tell your buddy, if the plant is tall and slender with few branches, its probably hemp. If its under 5' and bushy with many branches and appears to be groomed, its somebodies gold mine.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    Hemp is a related but different plant. Hemp does grow naturally, marijuana does not. (in the midwest anyway) If it is indeed marijuana, it was brought there by unnatural means at some point.
    Others are correct, if its being grown by "farmers" the plants will not look natural at all. There is a certain pattern to follow in order to yield a good crop.

We do ERAD every year here in Ohio, KY and IN. There is a distinct difference between the plants.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 18th, 2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Bolded the important part
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Yeah, it grows wild, alright.

Back about 20 years ago, some people lost their land because the feds found it on their land and took the land to add to parks, monuments, etc. I have not heard of that sort of thing lately, maybe one of the LEO crowd can comment?

Pot strains can be optimized for fiber, smoke, or the seeds (oil or food). One of the three, no two of the three. Or it can be good for nothing.

Interesting; I remember my grandfather telling me that when he was a child, he and his brothers spent hours working with "smart tools" (some called them yoyos) to eradicate the plants because back in the 1920s they grew all over the place in rural Oklahoma, and they needed the space for crops.

Amazing how an ordinary looking weed could cause so much trouble.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Yeah, it grows wild, alright.

Back about 20 years ago, some people lost their land because the feds found it on their land and took the land to add to parks, monuments, etc. I have not heard of that sort of thing lately, maybe one of the LEO crowd can comment?

Pot strains can be optimized for fiber, smoke, or the seeds (oil or food). One of the three, no two of the three. Or it can be good for nothing.
    They will test the THC content. If its low, its hemp... no issue. If its high, you'll have some explaining to do.

Now remember, the burden would be on the state to actually prove you hand a hand in the cultivation. Thats why the "farmers" will use others land for their crops. Its quite common for them to use state forest land here in Ohio.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    (shock! shock!) Actual sanity?!?

Good.

I bet the people who lost their land never got it back, though. At best, they'd have to go to court and spend more than the land is worth to get the seizure reversed.

My grandfather raised hemp for the government in Nebraska. That stuff grows wild everywhere. Looks just like the smoking stuff. I had a couple of friends visit from the east coast. I stopped by a road ditch full of the plants and asked her to get out and look around (old hippie). Suddenly she thought she was in paradise!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Exclamation HEMP

George Washington cultivated it at Mt.Vernon back in the day...and yes, it does grow wild...that's why it's considered a "weed".

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links