Valkyrie

Valkyrie

This is a discussion on Valkyrie within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I actually just watched the movie last night and i must say it was amazing. I've always been amazed by WW2 history and European history, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie

Valkyrie

I actually just watched the movie last night and i must say it was amazing. I've always been amazed by WW2 history and European history, and from what i know the movie was spot on. From beginning to end the movie had me drawn in. In goes to show you how amidst the chaotics times and pure evil of the third reich that there were men that wouldnt stand aside and watch these things be done. The end of the movie actually almost brought a tear to my eye seeing these men die for what they believed in for the betterment of there country. These man get a big cheers from me and I hope that if something like that happened again that i could be even half the man that these guys were.

memorial at the Benderblock, the only memorial for any nazi soldier in Germany today

Stauffenberg five days before the assasination attempt at the Wolf's layer
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I refuse to watch it because of Tom Cruise.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    I refuse to watch it because of Tom Cruise.

your dislike to an actor shouldnt be a deciding factor in reliving a piece of history, thats like saying you wouldnt buy a weapon because you dont like one of the workers in the plant.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I have been wanting to see this for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    your dislike to an actor shouldnt be a deciding factor in reliving a piece of history, thats like saying you wouldnt buy a weapon because you dont like one of the workers in the plant.
    If i want to relive the piece of history ,I'll read the book. And yes I will not buy a weapon if I didn't like the company or the workers... That is why I will never buy a new Winchester...

Ohh, I thought you were talking about the opera! (Just saw it a few weeks ago, it was great!).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    I disagree. Tom Cruise can stand up on a soap box and make stupid comments because he is a celebrity. If we stop going to his movies he looses his soap box.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

History channel has a documentary playing this week about the whole affair. EXCELLENT !

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    History channel has a documentary playing this week about the whole affair. EXCELLENT !

bosco
    Now that I will watch...

I happen to like Tom Cruise in movies. Personally might be another story. I've already learned at a relatively young age, that if you let politics and such determine every aspect of your life in terms of who you deal/don't do business with you end up handicapping yourself. Not to say there aren't exceptions.

But you'd be hard stretched to find any movie from Hollywood, that is not somehow tied to someone you strongly disagree with personally. Whether they are actors, producers, directors, or whatnot.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I am on the fence about seeing this movie, I can't Tom Cruise, never could, even more so these days with his ongoing strangeness.

Agree with ShooterX. I might get it on Netflix some day. I used to like Tom back when he did the Topgun movies and some of his early work. After he went the scientology route and got weird I lost my interest in him.

I feel sort of the same way about Russel Crow. From what I've heard he is a jerk in real life and not a pleasant person to be around. But, he is a very talented actor and I tend to really enjoy movies that he is in. The man can deliver a line.
    Rick

I agree partially with boycotting Tom Cruise, but I must admit that I did enjoy his role in the movie "Lions for Lambs" and will probably watch Valkyrie because my wife has expressed and interest in watching it.....

I have always personally admired anyone who has the stones to stand up to evil knowing it will mean the end of their lives. In my opinion, the men that stood up to Hitler belong in the same category those that stood up in Tianenmen Square, Leonidas and the Spartans against Xerxes, etc......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Tom Is goofy.
    But I still like his movies. And if you didn't see "Collateral" then you are missing a Great gun movie.
    Walberg is a fool. Travolta is too. Ed Asner. De Crapieo. Pitt. All goofy. But I like thier movies.
    If I boycotted the movies from the goof balls in Hollywood, I guess I would only watch Clint Eastwood films.
    I think I will rent Valkyrie tonight. From Red Box. Red Box ROCKS!

I do have to admit that I am WW2 buff, have read a bunch and really have enjoyed many of the recent movies to come out, Saving Private Ryan, the two Eastwood films, so like RSTX I will probably add it to my netflix list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links