Tom's Memphis-style sauces for Pork and Chicken

This is a discussion on Tom's Memphis-style sauces for Pork and Chicken within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are two sauces, here, because a sauce for pork barbecue needs to complement the pork and balance the pork fat, while a sauce for ...

Thread: Tom's Memphis-style sauces for Pork and Chicken

There are two sauces, here, because a sauce for pork barbecue needs to complement the pork and balance the pork fat, while a sauce for ribs or chicken needs to complement the sweeter meat and cling to the meat while it cooks.

Memphis Old-style Table Sauce for Shoulders
    Also good for whole hog barbecue. A little thinner and more vinegary. This is definitely a table sauce, not a cooking sauce.

1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup turbinado sugar
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1 24-oz. bottle ketchup
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons chipotle Tabasco

Combine chili powder, sugar, pepper, garlic salt and celery salt in a small mixing bowl.

Combine ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire and chipotle Tabasco in a 3-quart soup pot. Mix well. Add spice mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cool sauce and transfer to 2 24-ounce ketchup bottles. Store in the refrigerator.

Memphis Old-style Sauce for Ribs and Chicken
    Clings well to ribs and chicken. A little thicker and sweeter. Works equally well as a cooking sauce or a table sauce.

1/4 cup chili powder
    1 cup turbinado sugar
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    2 24-oz. bottles ketchup
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons chipotle Tabasco

Combine chili powder, sugar, pepper, garlic salt and celery salt in a small mixing bowl.

Combine ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire and chipotle Tabasco in a 3-quart soup pot. Mix well. Add spice mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cool sauce and transfer to 2 24-ounce ketchup bottles. Store in the refrigerator.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Thanks brother, I think I'm going to try it out this weekend when I grill-out.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Tom? When are we having the DC Cookout at your place?

*drool*
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    That's what I'm talkin' about!! Thank you, Tom!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    That sounds like a great dry rub recipe. And great tips, too.

I am a backyard BBQ guy. It is part science, part art and some luck with the meat.

For those that haven't tried it, it is a lot of fun. Some are intimidated by the long cooking times and the mystique surrounding smoking meat. If you start with a pork butt (think pulled pork) then even a novice will have delicious results. By far, a butt (it is actually the shoulder) is the easiest thing to BBQ and you really cannot fail. Do pulled pork once and you will be hooked on BBQ for life.

No need for sauce and the type of wood is a variable that makes it fun to experiment.

The difficulty scale: Pork butt is easiest, St. Louis style ribs require a bit more skill, baby backs (due to the lack of fat) are somehwat more challenging and the brisket is, by far, the hardest meat to successfully smoke. A perfect brisket is the grail of the BBQ chef. The best smoked brisket is a delicacy not to be missed.

I have seen budding BBQers give up totally after spending all day trying to do a brisket and coming up with something that even ketchup couldn't fix.

I am a Memphis BBQ sauce kind of guy but I am getting hooked on the East Carolina vinegar sauce for pulled pork. Toasted bun, hickory smoked pork, some EC sauce topped with cole slaw....

BBQ rules!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Tom? When are we having the DC Cookout at your place?

*drool*
    Come on up! Y'all pick a time. Any weekend we have good weather Friday night through Saturday night. I usually start preparing around 7pm on a Friday, and the meat goes into the smoker around midnight and isn't finished until late afternoon on Saturday. I usually serve it pulled and chopped, with table sauce, fresh made coleslaw, buns for those who want sandwiches. I leave the sides to others. I try to have a Memphis sauce, a Piedmont or Lexington sauce, a KC sauce, and an eastern NC vinegar-pepper sauce.

All I ask is cold beer, good company to keep me awake, and a clear sky. Oh, and you have to be OK around Greyhounds.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    ...The difficulty scale: Pork butt is easiest, St. Louis style ribs require a bit more skill, baby backs (due to the lack of fat) are somehwat more challenging and the brisket is, by far, the hardest meat to successfully smoke. A perfect brisket is the grail of the BBQ chef. The best smoked brisket is a delicacy not to be missed...I am a Memphis BBQ sauce kind of guy but I am getting hooked on the East Carolina vinegar sauce for pulled pork. Toasted bun, hickory smoked pork, some EC sauce topped with cole slaw....

BBQ rules!!!!!!
    Hmm...I don't find baby backs that difficult, but then I treat them more like other indirect grilled meat. Loin ribs do better that way, I think. I prefer whole spareribs, as opposed to the St. Louis cut. Unfortunately, I've got a true allergy to anything beef, so I don't do brisket.

EC-style sauces are among the oldest sauces, going back to Colonial America, and actually descend from medieval sauces for meat. I do an EC-style sauce, but I use cider vinegar instead of white. A little salt, a little black pepper, and some red pepper flake, and that's about it.
    - Tom

Sponsored Links