Lady takes elephant with a bow!

This is a discussion on Lady takes elephant with a bow! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorta makes taking a whitetail with a bow look like a tea party! She stalked to within 12 yards!!! Woman hunter kills elephant with bow ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lady takes elephant with a bow!

Lady takes elephant with a bow!

Sorta makes taking a whitetail with a bow look like a tea party! She stalked to within 12 yards!!!

Woman hunter kills elephant with bow and arrow - Telegraph

Woman hunter kills elephant with bow and arrow
    Female hunter Teressa Groenewald-Hagerman has become the first woman in the world to shoot an elephant dead with a bow and arrow.

Last Updated: 7:42AM BST 07 May 2009

Groenewald-Hagerman, 39, she sneaked into the animals herd and killed the creature with one shot from just 12 yards.

The woman, from Kansas, was inspired to go on the safari after being challenged by a male friend who said women could never draw such a heavy bow.

She worked out for four hours a day for eight months to be able to draw the huge PSE XF Bow big enough to kill the majestic creature.

The huntswoman wrote her own blog about her trip to Zimbabwe where she found the elephant in 2007.

She describes leaving the animal overnight lying on its side before returning to check it was actually dead the next day.

On the hunting website 'Hunts of a Lifetime' Hagerman wrote: "A man by the name of Larry, who is a videographer for Orion Multi Media, bet me I couldn't shoot a buffalo or elephant with a bow.

"He indicated only one or two women had completed the buffalo with a bow and no woman had ever taken an elephant with a bow. Of course, I couldn't turn down the challenge."

So, determined to win her wager Hagerman began training how to use the heavy bow for the next 12 months.

"The bow was awesome. I think it fit me well," wrote Hagerman on archerytalk.com.

"The rest of the event of the evening was spent sitting around the fire pit. I made a commitment not to enjoy any wine or dessert until I accomplished my goal. I couldn't wait to get my elephant."

The blonde boasted about the slaughter, which happened near Bulawayo, the second largest city in Zimbabwe.

"I shot the elephant at 12 yards with one arrow," she writes.

"It was shot near dark. We went back the next day and found him. I was in the middle of 37 elephants when I took my shot. This was my first bow kill and first woman to take an ele with a bow."

Hagerman, who was born in Texas and raised in Missouri, began hunting at the age of 24.

A year later, she started marketing for Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris and became a professional hunter in South Africa. There she began hunting numerous 'big game' in the bush.

Hagerman has received praise from other hunters who hail her as the first ever woman to kill an elephant with a bow and arrow.

One blogger on texasbowhunter.com described her as: "Stunning looking, and a [sic] avid hunter." The blogger, called Africanbowhunter, continued: "Her shot was made at 12 yards and the Bull traveled [sic] 500 yards before going down. 500 African Villagers were fed with the meat from the Bull.:) [sic]" Another admiring blogger called BO-N-ARO wrote: "12 yards!!! I bet they had a great blood trail because of the low entry!! She had to have been shooting UP! That has to be one of the best examples of setting a goal and working hard to achieve it!"

Hagerman's trip was paid for by several sponsors including the bow company, PSE, and Foxy Huntress, a company that make hunting clothing for women.

Hagerman promoted her kill and endorsed the clothing simultaneously on the clothing site. She wrote: "Foxy Huntress provided me with all the clothes a woman could dream of having on a safari. There were so many great things to wear. Being the woman that I am, I was excited about wearing all the different outfits."

Sixty years ago a man called Howard Hill took out an elephant with a bow and it has hardly been attempted since.

Hunting elephants for sport is not illegal in some parts of Africa and many tour companies allow tourists to visit on organised hunting trips. Tour operators and hunters argue that elephants get out of control when not properly culled and can destroy crops and small buildings in rural villages.

Villagers in Zimbabwe have been resorting to elephant culls to survive since the economical meltdown caused by the Mugabe regime.

Teressa Groenewald-Hagerman was not available for comment.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Thats a lot of meat in one spot.

I'm guessing that the bow would have to have at least an 80 pound draw to be effective.

I shoot an ancient High Country with 90 pound limbs that pulls at 94 on a scale and there arent many people around that can even draw it.

Thats a pretty good feat for a woman.
    Nothing like being the first.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow that is some accomplishment, my hats is off to Her.

Feed 500 villagers, must have been one big feast.

Goes to show what one can do with the right mind set, training and determination. Way to go ,nice kill.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ron
    How awful to have killed such a majestic creature that did her no harm.

Yep, I know this view is a minority view on this forum, but that is how I feel and am willing to take whatever heat is thrown at me for my position.

In case anyone is interested, yes I am a vegetarian.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Wow that is incredible.

Those x-forces are nice. I havent killed anything larger than deer with mine. Killed a crap load of those though.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    How awful to have killed such a majestic creature that did her no harm.

Yep, I know this view is a minority view on this forum, but that is how I feel and am willing to take whatever heat is thrown at me for my position.
    I am with you 100%. I was hoping this was going to be a humorous joke rather than the killing of an elephant.

In my mind, killing an elephant is no different than killing your pet dog. Yes, some cultures do it but the appalling act is not something that should be cheered.

And sneaking up to within 12 yards? Or was the elephant trusting of humans, as so many are, before being unceremoniously killed.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    This sucks. I can't believe I agree with SD here.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am with you 100%. I was hoping this was going to be a humorous joke rather than the killing of an elephant.

In my mind, killing an elephant is no different than killing your pet dog. Yes, some cultures do it but the appalling act is not something that should be cheered.

And sneaking up to within 12 yards? Or was the elephant trusting of humans, as so many are, before being unceremoniously killed.
    I agree, and I am not anti-hunting. In fact, the best meal I ever had was green sea turtle!

Wow who would have thought that we have anti hunters. You guys are for guns and against the anti gun crowed but if it wasn't for the hunters your guns would have been gone long ago. We ether stick together or fall individually. What pieces of work.

I guess with a veggie mentality what do I expect.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Elephants are prey animals, and extremely destructive of the environment when they over populate. (Wiping them out is also highly destructive of the environment as they create habitat as well. I could speculate regarding the ecological changes wrought in the Western Hemisphere by the extinction of the ground sloth, mammoth, and mastodon, wrong forum.)

Oh, and that oversize "pet dog" used to kill almost as many natives as the hippo did, pregunpowder. The things are dangerous. Read Capstick.

In any event, that's quite an accomplishment.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    :(

I like elephants. Dumbo was my favorite movie as a kid.

I'm cool with Hunting although I haven't been...yet, but there are a few animals on my "would never hunt unless it was a matter of life and death" list. Not sure where elephants would be, but I don't know that I'd ever want to see one out and kill one.

I saw this once, and my heart just melted: YouTube - ORIGINAL Elephant Painting
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaricopaKid View Post
    I agree, and I am not anti-hunting. In fact, the best meal I ever had was green sea turtle!
    My most favoritest meal was Manatee!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Wow who would have thought that we have anti hunters. You guys are for guns and against the anti gun crowed but if it wasn't for the hunters your guns would have been gone long ago. We ether stick together or fall individually. What pieces of work.

I'm not an anti-hunter and I'm not a vegitarian. I'm anti sport/trophy hunting. This woman killed the elephant for sport. Not because she was going to eat it. Sure the elephant was given to villagers to consume, but that's just a "feel good" measure so that people won't be so upset that she killed the elephant for no reason other than to be the first woman to kill one with a bow.

Your little rant does more to divide us than anything we said. You are the piece of work here.

editted to add: Sticking together is a great idea, but why should anyone be forced to agree with something that they truly feel is wrong. I personally believe that sport and trophy hunting gives us gun owners a bad name. It gives the anti's a nice image to use of gunowners killing things just for the sake of killing. On the other hand, I support hunting for food, culling an out of control population, or protecting yourself and family from predators.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post

You misunderstood my post. I don't hunt and wish that no one else did, particularly for animals such as elephants. But, I also understand that hunting is part of the "culture" in many parts of the country and I in no way suggested or advocate the banning of hunting.

And, by the way, we can disagree in a civil manner without your being insulting about it.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links