Oh...Cripes! I'm On Dial Up Right Now

This is a discussion on Oh...Cripes! I'm On Dial Up Right Now within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've had cable since 1998 or so. I won't move to a place that don't have good inter-web access! :p...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh...Cripes! I'm On Dial Up Right Now

I've had cable since 1998 or so. I won't move to a place that don't have good inter-web access! :p

2. Remove Ads

Home for me is about 33K and it's far enough out that we'll never see high speed. So, I have to really want to spend some time online if I'm at home.
    Here at work, I have no idea how fast this is. Stupid fast. Sure does get me spoiled!

Assistant Administrator
    David - I also despite only being semi rural, am not too likely to get cable or DSL anytime soon.

I succumbed tho to getting Direcway satellite - justify it thru work angle but it does make browsing way more enjoyable too.

Downside? Wayyy too expensive!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I also feel the pain , i am on stepdads puter in hugo oklahoma , all he has is dial up , but if i go down to the sonic ( about 3 blocks ) there is this nice open dsl i discovered ( while waiting on an order and working on my lappy yahoo messenger logged inn lol ) i seem to be just out of range here because i took a little walk from the house and it seems to login at the end of this block i dont really know what the neighbors here thought about a stranger in a cammo t shirt walking the neighborhood fixated on a laptop lol , i almost heard the toilets flushing lol now the moral question is do i now rename thier ms quick books files and put an explination how to fix it on the desktop , or leave them unsecured ? i dont want to mess with them but really come on who is going to find thier banking info next ?? i may just take note of everything and call the bank , or them , i have not intentionaly been on them other than like i stated curiosity about how far they were broadcasting a connection with the entire root drive shared thro windows .

You guys is ruint! I'm running a 1st gen. 100 MG Pentium with a whopping 1.2 GB HD, 24 MB of RAM and 28.8 bps modem - If I tried to go broadband it'd probably blow out the bedroom wall . Any slower and I might as well use a handcrank generator.

Pfft, broadband ... ya' bunch'a slackers - I get faster results from my magic 8-ball than I do from Ask Jeeves!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    the moral question is do i now rename thier ms quick books files and put an explination how to fix it on the desktop , or leave them unsecured ? i dont want to mess with them but really come on who is going to find thier banking info next ?? i may just take note of everything and call the bank , or them , i have not intentionaly been on them other than like i stated curiosity about how far they were broadcasting a connection with the entire root drive shared thro windows .
    If your dad knows them well AND gets along well with them AND they're "good people", then I'd approach them personally and help them. Otherwise, nothing - you'd just get blamed for anything that might happen - or send them an anon note.

Good luck in Hugo - been there, will be again.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    You guys is ruint! . Any slower and I might as well use a handcrank generator.
    Hey Jack! You're quite on the "bleeding edge" of technology! Say I upgrade ya, for one or two of those "safe queens" ya got? LOL!

I like your value system, BTW!

Assistant Administrator
    Wondering too Jack - and thinking back to my old DX4-66 around 1996 - surely to goodness too, you just have to be running good ol' Win for Workgroups 3.11?! That RAM would struggle even running 95 OSR2!

Actually, I used to love 3.11 with PC Tools - nowhere near the ''code bloat'' of what we use now. Heck - XP wants about 250 Mb of the RAM all to itself for starters!

''If it ain't broke - don't fix it''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LOL, only thing in my safe is paperwork and dust. No guns of any real value, other than sentimental. Now, if my disability ever gets approved I may just drop some coin for a Nighthawk or Wilson - they owe me a sizeable chunk of change.
    Jack

I bought my computer back in '95 with first edition of Windows '95. I wish Bill Gates would've left file manager alone, I love the click and drag ability. I did have to learn 3.11 workgroups for the job back then (with the ultra cool Ami Pro package ) and 3.1 on my wife's 486 all at the same time - plus had to learn drafting principles and CADKey software ... I was pretty busy there for a while and CON-FUSED! Not bad for an Art major.
    Jack

I figure I'm almost due for a new system.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I left them a note ( anon ) on thier desktop explaining thier issues and quoteing thier account numbers , i also suggested some firewalls for them and explained how to secure the router if they so desired . Hopefully that will rattle thier cages a bit and prod them into helping themselves LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I left them a note ( anon ) on thier desktop explaining thier issues and quoteing thier account numbers , i also suggested some firewalls for them and explained how to secure the router if they so desired . Hopefully that will rattle thier cages a bit and prod them into helping themselves LOL
    Too funny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links