Hard to explain - need gadget for dialtone

This is a discussion on Hard to explain - need gadget for dialtone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, We went to DISH and to avoid a $5.00 mtly charge - the box hooking up to our TV has to be connected to ...

Thread: Hard to explain - need gadget for dialtone

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Hard to explain - need gadget for dialtone

Ok, We went to DISH and to avoid a $5.00 mtly charge - the box hooking up to our TV has to be connected to a phone jack.
    Closest phone jack is across the room - now with a long cord strung across the room - very unsightly to say the least.
    The DISH Tech said he thought Radio Shack had something we could plug into the phone jack & transmit cordless to the other device which would be next to the Box connected to the TV.
    I called Radio Shack and they didn't know of anything that would do this.

I'm hoping someone here knows what I need and can post a link to it - or give me who sells it, what it's properly called - whatever I need to get one.

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Can't you relocate the old jack, or just install a new one where it's needed? Seems cheaper and easier to me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

For Example:Amazon.com: RCA RC926 Wireless Phone Jack: Electronics

Any way you can run an extension under the floor? it would be a lot cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Can't you relocate the old jack, or just install a new one where it's needed? Seems cheaper and easier to me.
    +1 Telephone jacks are almost as easy to install as cable jacks.

Here's a cheaper one that I saw on Frank's link, but it's still over double what you would pay installing a new phone jack.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Jack-Wire...p_ob_e_title_0
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Radio Shack used to sell them. Same as the RCA easy jack on Amazon. I believe Walmart carries them back in electronics.

Run a new jack, 3.50 for the jack. 5 bucks for the wire, only have to hook up the red and green, and, and you can piggy back it off another jack, it doesn't have to be "home run" back to the phone box.

Er...this for Dish network dish or direct tv dish? I thought dish network only needed the phone jack hooked up if you ordered PPV and only when you do the actual order? If that's still the case you would only need to string the unsightly cable across the room for a few minutes...(I used to have dish network)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have had dish network for 11 years now and never had a phone line plugged into it, as a matter of fact for 4 years of that I didn't even have a land line phone.

I order pay per view without a phone line just by hitting the button on the screen never had a problem.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Er...this for Dish network dish or direct tv dish? I thought dish network only needed the phone jack hooked up if you ordered PPV and only when you do the actual order? If that's still the case you would only need to string the unsightly cable across the room for a few minutes...(I used to have dish network)
    Ditto. But, they might have changed since we had Dish.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    The phone jack is only used to order movies off their network and to monitor what you watch!! You don't need the phone cable installed!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I used to work for dish network. What they are talking about is a wireless phone jack like some other people have stated. They will tell you its for PPV and a couple other things. Its real purpose is to cut down on theft of services. If you have the box connected to a phone jack they can tell where the box is and make sure people arent just moving boxes between several locations. They lose millions and millions of dollars a year to this kind of theft and it's cheaper for them to give you a $5 discount and be able to somewhat track the boxes.

That aside as some others have stated may be cheaper to install a new jack, last I checked a few years ago a wireless phone jack was around $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    I have had dish network for 11 years now and never had a phone line plugged into it, as a matter of fact for 4 years of that I didn't even have a land line phone.

I order pay per view without a phone line just by hitting the button on the screen never had a problem.
    +1 not necessary for PPV. Real purpose is stated in my above post.

The Radio Shack Part # is 43-160 (Wireless Phone Jack System). They're morons -I used to be one of them.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've used the Radio Shack Wireless phone jack before, and it was crap. Now, with DirecTV, I don't even plug into the phone line. It just means that to order PPV, I go onto the web site. Since the computer is beside my recliner in the living room, it isn't a problem.

Just cut a hole in the wall and run the cord behind the sheetrock?

Austin

Links