Cash only price for gas?

This is a discussion on Cash only price for gas? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to a local gas station today I don't usually goto because it appeared to be $.06 cheaper than most in the area. Got to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cash only price for gas?

Cash only price for gas?

Went to a local gas station today I don't usually goto because it appeared to be $.06 cheaper than most in the area.

Got to the pump and ran my card and got ready to start pumping and noticed that the price on the pump was not the same as the price on the sign?!?!?

I literally had to concentrate to see under the price on the sign it said "cash only" You got to be kidding me! Who carrys cash anymore?

Has anybody seen this before ? And how can they justify this?

They are obviously misleading you into thinking they have cheaper gas.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

2. Remove Ads

You should report that to the attorney general

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    I literally had to concentrate to see under the price on the sign it said "cash only" You got to be kidding me! Who carrys cash anymore?

The justification is that credit card companies charge merchants a fee of 2-3% on every purchase. The gas station would like to encourage cash purchases because they make more money that way. This shows up more often in gasoline sales than other areas because the profit margins on gasoline are razor thin.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    Went to a local gas station today I don't usually goto because it appeared to be $.06 cheaper than most in the area.

Got to the pump and ran my card and got ready to start pumping and noticed that the price on the pump was not the same as the price on the sign?!?!?

They are obviously misleading you into thinking they have cheaper gas.
    That stuff has been going on in the Detroit area since last year. If a station has one price for cash and a higher price for credit I buy my gas elsewhere.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

This procedure has been common for years. Credit card fees amount to about 3% to the retailer that uses them. Makes a lot of difference when you are filling a 55 gallon tank.
    Many vendors on gunbrokers charge a 3% additional if you put the item on a charge card.
    Yeah, it is buyer beware. Like the folks who did not read the fine print on the mortgage they signed and did not realize the rate was going to reset at some point in time.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

A number of years ago this was fairly common, the Cash price and Card prices were different. Look at the fuel oil companies, if you get 200 gallons delivered there is a difference in the Cash price (pay it upon delivery or before) and the 30 pay price. Perfectly legal.

If you pay for everything with plastic then you actually are paying more...(if you carry abalance).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The justification is that credit card companies charge merchants a fee of 2-3% on every purchase. The gas station would like to encourage cash purchases because they make more money that way. This shows up more often in gasoline sales than other areas because the profit margins on gasoline are razor thin.
    I was using a debit card, and I was using it as a debit card on the pump. The 2-3% charge only applies when you use it as a true credit card.

The thing that I was the most upset about was that on the sign they made it appear they were cheaper when they were not. weather the card companies charge them is irrelevant. And not to mention the fact that gas stations SAVE money with pay at the pump, having people being able to do the transaction themselves without a employee helping them.

down here its all over the place, more often than not, thats the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    down here its all over the place, more often than not, thats the way it is
    Doesn't make it right...

Any card being swiped whether credit or debit, cost the retailer. This also goes for cards that have to be keyed in because they are so old they have cracked down the middle and demagnetized... In fact, these cards actually cost more...

Therefore, the cash customer gets a break.

Perfectly legal.

I have the rules and regs set forth by the credit card companies laying around here somewhere from where I used to accept cards for a side business...

VIP Member
    I've seen it before and it is perfectly legal. Merchants are charged by credit card company and banks,for using the service. By having a cash price they are passing the savings back to you, if you wish to pay with cash.
    Last edited by archer51; May 30th, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added info

Like Archer51 said, they're only passing their savings along to you. How can someone whine when they're saving money on every gallon. As far as carrying cash goes, I can't understand how anyone can walk around without any????????/

I accept credit cards in my business and my "agreement" with the credit card company forbids me to charge additional for accepting credit cards. So, I just offer a discount for cash. This does not violate the rule for tacking on the fee, and is perfectly acceptable.

Go figure.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I accept credit cards in my business and my "agreement" with the credit card company forbids me to charge additional for accepting credit cards. So, I just offer a discount for cash. This does not violate the rule for tacking on the fee, and is perfectly acceptable.

Go figure.
    It was reported on the local news a few months back during the big "Gas Shortage on NC" that it was against CC companies policy to do this and it gave a telephone number to report it. They said that these businesses can and will lose their ability to accept credit cards.

Now, I'm not saying it is or isn't true or even that I agree with it but it was reported on the news. I personally believe that a business should be able to charge whatever they want.

On that note, the area Texaco stations have been staying lower than everyone else. They say they are selling more gas now than ever and are beating their competitors out and raking money in hand over fist.

There was a local convenience store owner that was boycotting the "big oil" companies and selling the fuel in his tanks for what he paid for it. In an interview he said he didn't believe in price gouging. The neighboring stations complained to his supplier and they shut him down. They wouldn't sell him anymore fuel. What a crock!!!
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

In my area there were several that had cheaper cash prices because that dont pay the mark up for the card and want to invite you inside to buy soda, chips or whatever to make more money. Most people will not go in without picking up something. Seems the cash/credit price is the same now. guess they gave up.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links