Fitness \ Nutrition Question for old guy.

This is a discussion on Fitness \ Nutrition Question for old guy. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Old guy is me. About to start new job. Police Officer for Veterans Administration. Already been through the Military Police Academy years ago – but ...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Old guy is me.

About to start new job. Police Officer for Veterans Administration.

Already been through the Military Police Academy years ago – but – will have to go through the Federal Police Academy in Little Rock, AR soon.

I hate to admit it but since back home from Iraq (2003) have not done any formal exercise program.

Will have to (working on it now) do a mile run, several pushups, several situps and whatever else required in Academy.

Will be 55 next month.

First attempts at the PT really stunk. Creek runs by my back yard & first attempt at the mile run (took way too long) I got home – fell on ground in back yard – next thing I knew there were several environmentalists pushing me toward the water shouting to each other “Keep him wet! Don’t let him dry out!”

FOM suggested I get the following product for daily vitamin / supplements:
    GNC Mega Men® 50 Plus Vitapak® - GNC - GNC

Anyone here have personal experience with this product to say good or useless or other recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    First attempts at the PT really stunk. Creek runs by my back yard & first attempt at the mile run (took way too long) I got home – fell on ground in back yard – next thing I knew there were several environmentalists pushing me toward the water shouting to each other “Keep him wet! Don’t let him dry out!”
    LMAO!!!! that was good.

on a serious note, i have no real advice. sorry

I used them at a time when I was doing some weight lifting and running. Don't expect any miracles. To me it's money wasted, frankly.

Another old guy here.......51 year-old former Marine.

You know the answer already....and you can't buy fitness in a pill. Take it slow, work your way up, and just get off your butt and do it!

I sat on my fat butt for almost 10 years after leaving active duty before I watched my wife run a little local triathlon. I signed up for the next one as some incentive and never looked back. I could barely run a mile, I couldn't swim 100 yds, and I didn't even own a bike. It was a painful start, but within a few weeks I felt that I was making real progress. That was a couple of years ago, and I'm at the point now where I've set a goal of completing an Ironman within the next 2 years.

If it helps, sign up for a local 5k or something to give you some incentive, but it really comes down to your own intestinal fortitude and desire.......and I doubt that you've lost either of those over the past couple of years!
    Last edited by David in FL; June 1st, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Go buy a bike. A good ROAD bike (not one of those cross-bikes good only for suburban sidewalks.) Do not fall for the plushy seat either - put a real road bike saddle on the bike (A Specialized Toupe is where you need to be looking). Also, get GOOD bike shorts and a jersey or 3.

RIDE the bike. A lot. 3X per week is good. 4X is better.
    DIET and nutrition. 'Nuff said except to pay attention to the nutrition part.
    Weight training (just do the push ups and sit ups 1-2 times per week.)

Riding the bike will increase your cardio and pulmonary ability as well as leg strength. Ride UP HILLS at least once per week. Minimum mileage should be 15 miles per ride. 20-25 is better but you'll have to work up to it. One long ride (35-50 miles) per week is a goal you should shoot for within 2 months. Do "intervals" (basically "wind sprints" on the bike) to strengthen your legs and lungs and increase your overall ride speed.

Within those 2 months you will be a lot fitter than you are now. You'll have lost weight while gaining muscle. You'll also have seen a lot of countryside you normally wouldn't notice in a car. You won't have shin splints or wrecked knees. And, you'll probably make new friends with an interest in something other than guns. Anyone who can ride a bike for 40 miles can easily run a mile in under 7 minutes. Even at 55. And, I personally know folks in their 70's who still ride their bikes.

Go here: Bike Forums for more specific info.

+1 on the "you can't buy fitness in a pill."

Don't bother with the pills. If you have crampin issues just buy potasium tabs ans publix of cvs. Take a multivitamin too. Just work your way up. lol

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Geesh, why can't I just get a pill - Worked for Roger RamJet (anyone remember him?).

Ok, Ok - I've gotten off my fat butt and am doing a decent routine now - I guess I'll just keep it up and keep eating right....

Thanks guys.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Those vitamins are very beneficial if you are a older person working out. GNC vitamins are time released, which means they will supply your body with nutrients throughout the day instead of wasting them.

I give those multivitamins a 4.5/5.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

This is something I struggle with myself. I'm not in my 50s, but I'm probably in worse shape than a lot of people who are - especially former military. I have trouble finding time while working and raiising a 19 month old and trying to spend time with my uber skinny wife. It just takes willpower and if you can defend you're country, I have the utmost faith that you can knock off a few pounds. Good luck!
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    This is something I struggle with myself. I'm not in my 50s, but I'm probably in worse shape than a lot of people who are - especially former military. I have trouble finding time while working and raiising a 19 month old and trying to spend time with my uber skinny wife. It just takes willpower and if you can defend you're country, I have the utmost faith that you can knock off a few pounds. Good luck!
    All it takes is consistent hardwork, but I guess that's easy for me to say considering I'm single and 25 years of age.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    All it takes is consistent hardwork, but I guess that's easy for me to say considering I'm single and 25 years of age.
    You got me beat on age, but only a couple of years. Genetics and a bit laziness and 0 free time get me every time.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I am quite young (17), but I have been working out diligently for several years now, and I have a few suggestions concerning the push-ups and sit-ups. Work on form and smoothness, speed will follow. Breath deeply. Try different variations of the flutterkick and crunch if sit-ups get boring. For the push-ups, vary the distance between your hands to develop the shoulders and upper back.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson. It's a great book for those interested in fitness. Here is his website: Transformetrics

This is a hardcore book ,but this and its sequels are some of the best info out there IMHO. Ross Enamait- Never Gymless

Run longer distances than a mile and it will help your mile time. For instance, run two miles on Monday, take Tuesday off, run 3 miles on Wednesday, take Thursday off, run a mile on Friday and run a mile on Saturday. You will probably not lose weight with this little cardio though.

The best way to lose weight is to eat 500 calories less every day, and burn 500 calories more every day. You'll have a 7000 calorie deficit a week, which is 2 pounds = 8 pounds a month.

For strength gains do a warm up set, then 3 max sets of whatever exercise. For major muscles like chest go every other day, but you can go every day with abs after you get into it. Don't expect to go every day off the start though - you're going to be sore after the first day so take one day off in between the first few times. Drinking coffee before a run will help you run faster and will help prevent cramps.

Just my two cents.

Austin

My line:

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Old guy is me.
    Will be 55 next month.

Sounds like an old Louie Anderson joke: "I fell asleep on the beach and when I woke up six people were trying to push me back in the water."

Listen I'm almost 62. I take "ALIVE" or "Choice of Life" from The Vitamin Shoppe. The GNC brand will do but you might want to add some CoQ10 for your heart and a prostrate supplement.
    It won't make your WeeBee any younger but still may be beneficial.

My line:
    If someone tells me I don't look my age I tell them it's because they are only looking at me from the neck up!

Links