I Think I've Found A New Favorite Author!!! BRAD THOR

This is a discussion on I Think I've Found A New Favorite Author!!! BRAD THOR within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just found this guy and I'm reading one of his recent novels The Last Patriot . Has anyone else read anything by him?? I'm ...

Thread: I Think I've Found A New Favorite Author!!! BRAD THOR

I just found this guy and I'm reading one of his recent novels The Last Patriot.

Has anyone else read anything by him?? I'm assuming it's only one of a series but I'm not sure. Should I stop reading this book now and pick it up in order??

What do you know about him/his work???
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

He was interviewed on Guntalk a while back. You can find the episode here.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Brad Thor is great. I haven't started reading the Last Patriot yet, but I've got it. I've read all of his others. Basically, he has his character, Scot Harvath, who gets involved in political/military situations. All of his stuff is good. He has a new book, The Apostle, which comes out on June 30.

If you like Thor, here are 2 others that you'll like- Vince Flynn, and Steven Hunter. Flynn's character Mitch Rapp, is much like Hervath. Hunter has 2 main characters- Bob Lee Swagger, is a former Vietnam sniper, "Bob the Nailer". The situations that he gets into differ from those of Thor and Flynn, but are always exciting. Hunter also uses Bob's Father, Earl Swagger, in many of his novels. He's dead during the time of Bob's stories, killed in a shoot out. He's a deputy sheriff, and his stories take place in the 30's and 40's. The story "Pale Horse Coming" is one of the best that I've ever read.
    The only ones of Hunter that I didn't like were his earliest stuff, like "The Master Sniper". If you see one of his book, and it's about either of the Swaggers, you'll enjoy it.

Give these guy's a try. You'll enjoy both of them. Hunter has taken Tom Clancy's place as my favorite author (erhaps if he came out with new Jack Ryan story, I may reconsider).

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Brad Thor is great. I haven't started reading the Last Patriot yet, but I've got it. I've read all of his others. Basically, he has his character, Scot Harvath, who gets involved in political/military situations. All of his stuff is good. He has a new book, The Apostle, which comes out on June 30.

If you like Thor, here are 2 others that you'll like- Vince Flynn, and Steven Hunter. Flynn's character Mitch Rapp, is much like Hervath. Hunter has 2 main characters- Bob Lee Swagger, is a former Vietnam sniper, "Bob the Nailer". The situations that he gets into differ from those of Thor and Flynn, but are always exciting. Hunter also uses Bob's Father, Earl Swagger, in many of his novels. He's dead during the time of Bob's stories, killed in a shoot out. He's a deputy sheriff, and his stories take place in the 30's and 40's. The story "Pale Horse Coming" is one of the best that I've ever read.
    The only ones of Hunter that I didn't like were his earliest stuff, like "The Master Sniper". If you see one of his book, and it's about either of the Swaggers, you'll enjoy it.

Give these guy's a try. You'll enjoy both of them. Hunter has taken Tom Clancy's place as my favorite author (erhaps if he came out with new Jack Ryan story, I may reconsider).
    I just took in the first 20 chapters and so far all I can say is WOW!!! If I didn't have to be at work in 4 hours I'd go ahead and finish up tonight.

This guy obviously has a lot of knowledge on Islam and the extremist views of some of the fundamental Islamist terrorist organizations. Why haven't I found him before??? I'll definitely be reading "More of Thor".

The funny thing is that I'm taking a Literature class over the summer semester and I'm required to write a book report on any novel of my choosing. I was kinda hoping for something a little controversial to turn in and boy, did I ever find one.

While picking up that book I also grabbed The Broker by John Grisham. Anyone read this one? The back cover makes it sound interesting.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Lead Moderator
    I've read both his and Flynn's books (pretty much in order), both are great and hard to put down once you get started! Guess I'll have to try one of Hunter's books.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Will download in tonight onto my Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by sspargo View Post

While picking up that book I also grabbed The Broker by John Grisham. Anyone read this one? The back cover makes it sound interesting.
    ive read the broker, during a 24 hour flight to austrailia. it was good! i cant rember what exactly it was about, since i read about 3 grisham books during that trip and they all run together. but either way, i like all his work

Sponsored Links