Air France Flight

Air France Flight

This is a discussion on Air France Flight within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading in some of the local papers today about this tragedy. There were 3 Norwegians reported to have been onboard when it went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air France Flight

Air France Flight

I was reading in some of the local papers today about
    this tragedy. There were 3 Norwegians reported to have
    been onboard when it went down.

Story about a couple who was working in Rio, and was
    on their way back to Europe. The husband and daughter
    flew on another flight and was safe. The wife was flying
    with their 5 year old son on the downed flight. I thought
    this was so sad about this young family.

Also, had reports of people texting their loved ones on
    mobile phones with "I love you" and "I'm scared".

Also had a article of one young man of 11 years who
    was flying on there by himself.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their loved ones.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have not heard any reports of text msg's and I would find that hard to believe; Cell towers reach about 5miles or so max. No towers in the middle of the Atlantic. If radar couldn't reach them, then no cell phone is going to get signal.

I think it's just taking a tragedy and sensationalizing it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I have not heard any reports of text msg's and I would find that hard to believe; Cell towers reach about 5miles or so max. No towers in the middle of the Atlantic. If radar couldn't reach them, then no cell phone is going to get signal.

I think it's just taking a tragedy and sensationalizing it.
    I have no idea. Thats what they said in the newspapers here. You make a good point though.

If you have a link to the newspaper article, I'd be willing to email them myself and ask them to substantiate that claim.

Besides; neither pilot had time to issue a mayday but passengers had time to send text messages? I know kids are quick with their phones but come on.....
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Check this out

Passengers on Air France Flight 447 sent text messages to family members before plane disappeared - Wikinews, the free news source

I'll keep searching for the Norwegian article. I saw it in the paper but, am trying to locate it online.

Found a article about it finally.

“Some relatives and friends of victims have received that message, by phone, with phrases like ‘I love you’ or ‘I’m afraid’, and even telephone calls warning that something wrong was happening and feared the worst,” said the chairman of Union of Airline, Ronaldo Jenkins in Rio, according to Jornal de Noticias.
    Air France crash site found by Brazil, search for bodies to start Wednesday | VANCOUVERITE

thanks, I'll check it out and let you know what comes of it.

Here's an interesting read regarding plane/phone communications from the 9/11 attacks. I came across this just from a google search and have no idea about the background of "globalresearch.ca" or what the organization is about:

The 9/11 Cell Phone Calls

Who is John Galt?

Erik - That site is a blog dressed up fancy to look like a news organization. I posted a blog entry at the end of the article:

I would like to know if the claims of phone calls and text messages has been substantiated or if this is more sensationalized reporting without regard for the facts? I struggle to believe that there were text messages sent from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean where there are no cell towers and the plane was out of reach of radar.
    I also find it somewhat implausable that passengers would be able to dial out on seatback airline phones (assuming) but neither pilot was able to send out a mayday call.
    I think we need to start holding the media to a higher standard when it comes to reporting the truth and the facts whether it's gun stories or tragedies such as this. This guy is a blog who on their "About Us" tab appears to hold himself higher than the "mainstream media" If this turns out to be true, I'll eat crow. But I firmly and proudly raise the BS flag here.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I just logged on to this site and it now has the following message about that statement:

"Correction — June 2, 2009
    A statement from the employer of Ronaldo Jenkins who was cited as the source of this story, denies that he made the comments published by the Jornal de Notícias. As such, the previous version available at this page cannot be considered reliable or accurate."
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    There was a bomb threat on this very flight just a few days ago... this might be terrorism...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Check this out

Passengers on Air France Flight 447 sent text messages to family members before plane disappeared - Wikinews, the free news source

I'll keep searching for the Norwegian article. I saw it in the paper but, am trying to locate it online.
    It's been retracted...

Correction — June 2, 2009
    A statement from the employer of Ronaldo Jenkins who was cited as the source of this story, denies that he made the comments published by the Jornal de Notícias. As such, the previous version available at this page cannot be considered reliable or accurate.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think it was a bomb.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Latest info today is depicting mid-air breakup from a variety of possible issues. They are saying they have auto readings of electrical issues and potential mid-air breakup (based on the wide-spread crash scene).

Those black boxes are key, but who knows if they will ever be recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I think it was a bomb.
    Normally I would agree. But if it were a bomb, we should have had someone/group come forward and claim responsibility. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't had like three different terrorist organizations all fighting to take credit for this as an attack.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    The whole thing is just tragic.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links