This is scary... cell phone security

This is a discussion on This is scary... cell phone security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pretty amazing... seems ya don't really need a warrant or the Patriot Act to listen in on cell phones... Tapping your cell phone...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is scary... cell phone security

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Pretty amazing... seems ya don't really need a warrant or the Patriot Act to listen in on cell phones...

Tapping your cell phone
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Wow. That is crazy. Some real 'Big Brother' stuff there.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I have talked to many cell phone users that actually believe that a cell phone is not a radio. Maybe this will help to wake them up.

Its a radio folks, it isn't a hard wired phone!

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I threw my cell phone in the pond in November of 2007, refused to get another one since. HATE the darn things! I have OnStar for vehicle emergencies and a gun, and the gun stays with me when I am on foot.

If you need to get a hold of me, you know how. If not, there's probably a reason for that...
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Most of that has been around for a while now.

You really need to ask yourself...Who am I and why would anybody care where I am at any given moment and of what value is the intel that I am going to the supermarket to buy eggs and milk and who would care if I just got a call reminding me that the dog has a vet appointment at 6:00 PM and that cousin Suzie is pregnant again?

Just keep it in mind that the technology does exist and be mindful of what you say.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Most of that has been around for a while now.

You really need to ask yourself...Who am I and why would anybody care where I am at any given moment and of what value is the intel that I am going to the supermarket to buy eggs and milk and who would care if I just got a call reminding me that the dog has a vet appointment at 6:00 PM and that cousin Suzie is pregnant again?

Just keep it in mind that the technology does exist and be mindful of what you say.
    I think that's very sound advice QKShooter.

Email: Never write anything you wouldn't want published in the newspaper and to have your mother read.

Phone: Never speak of anything that you wouldn't mind every neighbor on your street hearing.

It is what it is. Always has been.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hate to break it to some folks but communications privacy is an illusion. It's not hard to hear any kind of cell phone or land line call to those inclined to do so. Same thing for computers and even written mail. But, like QK said, does anyone really care?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I hate to break it to some folks but communications privacy is an illusion. It's not hard to hear any kind of cell phone or land line call to those inclined to do so. Same thing for computers and even written mail. But, like QK said, does anyone really care?
    Not yet...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I threw my cell phone in the pond in November of 2007, refused to get another one since. HATE the darn things! I have OnStar for vehicle emergencies and a gun,
    reviewjournal.com -- News: FBI EAVESDROPPING: Court overrules LV judge
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    But, like QK said, does anyone really care?
    Some people care about some of the communications of some folks, sure they should. But, for most people it should simply be taken as no worse than speaking loudly on a crowded street.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    (Ok, well I did it because I was sick of all the phone calls about stupid backbiting stuff going on in Dog Rescue, not because of privacy issues.)

Still -- QKShooter and ccw9mm make excellent points.

Anything I want to remain between you, me, and the wall? I tell you in person.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The hook on the story was two pretty women being harrassed, but anyone can end up being targeted by a troll or a stalker, or over eager LEO. It's not about the target, it's about whatever is going on inside the mind of the criminal. (I include the LEO as a criminal in this case, and it can be a problem because if someone knows enough about your personal affairs, he can frame you for something, maybe even a crime that never happened. It's great for his personnel evaluation.)

The basic rule: "Don't let the cell phone out of your control" seems to be what you need to prevent a good deal of this.

All the software is kept in the sim card, isn't it? I wonder if those two women were just buying new phones and switching sim cards?

I have an "ex" that would love to listen you "your" calls, "my" calls and be totally intertained to do so. He used to hack into my home phone calls all the time. He is a total nut case and the sherif finally took his gun from him after a restraining order, reports of him following people etc.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

All this nonsense about cloning the sim and what not is pointless anyway. Cell phones operate on a range of radio frequencies. Standard Radio scanners sold in the US BLOCK those frequencies, but there's nothing preventing you or I from very quickly and easily modifying certain scanners to unblock the frequencies...I have one that does just that now. At any given time I could(if i was so inclined) set my scanner to constantly scan the cell frequency range and anyone talking on one within that range and within the range my scanner could pcikup on, I could listen in on that conversation...

...food for thought. If you don't want something to get out...build a SCIF and use it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links