Followed by a deputy

This is a discussion on Followed by a deputy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife takes my 3 yo to speech therapy on Thursdays. While she's there I drive around with my 1 yo and look at houses. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Followed by a deputy

Followed by a deputy

My wife takes my 3 yo to speech therapy on Thursdays. While she's there I drive around with my 1 yo and look at houses. Yesterday (Jun 4) I was at this new sub-division looking at a few different on the market houses. I noticed a County Sherriff's car (no light bar on top) following in behind me. I didn't think anything of it and continued to look at this last house that I really liked. I pulled out of the drive way and headed for the sub-division exit when I pulled up next to him he had already pulled his window down and waved at me to stop.

I stopped and rolled down my window placed my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and stated I had a CHL and my weapon was on my hip and permit in my pocket. After that I said I noticed him following me. Found out he and his brother live in the area and he saw me creeping through. We spoke about the area and he even told me that a house done from him was going up for sale.

We even spoke about gun laws and I was surprised to find out that he was unaware of some of the laws that were on the floor for consideration here in NC. He asked me about them and I told him about the Castle Doctrine, Park carry and the Restraunt carry(that was floundering on the Senate floor). He told me he'd been on the force for 18 years, and was surprised that I was well in tune with the gun laws. He also told me that he had run my plate and knew before I spoke that I had a CHL but was nice that I told him at on set of our "talk".

All in all it was a pleasant conversation and I was never asked to exit my vehicle or surrender my side arm (which I would have had no problem with).

Hopefully if I ever have another stop it goes as good as that one.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

2. Remove Ads

Cool! Good cops are few and far between sometimes. I'm glad you had a good encounter.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    Cool! Good cops are few and far between sometimes. I'm glad you had a good encounter.
    Actually there are many more good cops than there are bad. It's just you hear about the bad ones. Just like CC'ers, you hear about the bad ones, not the good ones who go about their business and stay out of trouble.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I'll go a step further than archer51 and say that bad cops are few and far between. But as he mentioned, theyr'e the ones that get the publicity. Which is true for any news, when was the last time you heard something good on the news report? Okay, before I get barraged with a string of responses, let me clarify that the percentage of bad news far outweighs the good news that is reported. Bad news makes headlines, headlines sell, it's all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I'll go a step further than archer51 and say that bad cops are few and far between. But as he mentioned, theyr'e the ones that get the publicity. Which is true for any news, when was the last time you heard something good on the news report? Okay, before I get barraged with a string of responses, let me clarify that the percentage of bad news far outweighs the good news that is reported. Bad news makes headlines, headlines sell, it's all about the money.
    +1

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Excellent, sounds like it went swimmingly. NC LEOs alone have completely changed my view on police (totally for the better). Other areas could take some notes from them. (Looking at you, Ft. Lauderdale.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Excellent, sounds like it went swimmingly. NC LEOs alone have completely changed my view on police (totally for the better). Other areas could take some notes from them. (Looking at you, Ft. Lauderdale.)
    yeah im lookin at western kentucky, along with a few other spots I have lived.

In NC do you have to inform LE if stopped? If not why did you do that? Just curious.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    I stopped and rolled down my window placed my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and stated I had a CHL and my weapon was on my hip and permit in my pocket.
    Based upon how you said you were approached, I don't think that you were required to inform the LEO about your sidearm...why?
    Sounds more like a friendly conversation than a LE stop...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We are told that any time we are approached by an officer to tell him we are carrying. The OP did well. Why? I guess cause You don't want to have an officer realize that you have a gun before you tell him. That = bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    In NC do you have to inform LE if stopped? If not why did you do that? Just curious.
    Yes. Any time approached by Law Enforcement in an official capacity, you MUST inform. (It only doesn't count if the LEO is like, your neighbor or something and you're saying hey at the block party.)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Sounds like he started following you originally because you were creeping through a neighborhood and looking at houses. He may have been suspicious that you may have casing a house to break in to.

Good to hear it went ok!

My wife takes my 3 yo to speech therapy on Thursdays. While she's there I drive around with my 1 yo and look at houses. Yesterday (Jun 4) I was at this new sub-division looking at a few different on the market houses. I noticed a County Sherriff's car (no light bar on top) following in behind me. I didn't think anything of it and continued to look at this last house that I really liked. I pulled out of the drive way and headed for the sub-division exit when I pulled up next to him he had already pulled his window down and waved at me to stop.

I stopped and rolled down my window placed my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and stated I had a CHL and my weapon was on my hip and permit in my pocket. After that I said I noticed him following me. Found out he and his brother live in the area and he saw me creeping through. We spoke about the area and he even told me that a house done from him was going up for sale.

We even spoke about gun laws and I was surprised to find out that he was unaware of some of the laws that were on the floor for consideration here in NC. He asked me about them and I told him about the Castle Doctrine, Park carry and the Restraunt carry(that was floundering on the Senate floor). He told me he'd been on the force for 18 years, and was surprised that I was well in tune with the gun laws. He also told me that he had run my plate and knew before I spoke that I had a CHL but was nice that I told him at on set of our "talk".

All in all it was a pleasant conversation and I was never asked to exit my vehicle or surrender my side arm (which I would have had no problem with).

Hopefully if I ever have another stop it goes as good as that one.
    He also told me that he had run my plate and knew before I spoke that I had a CHL but was nice that I told him at on set of our "talk".

Ive heard that CHL in NC is tied to your vehicals tag,but never gave any info about my trucks.
    How do they know?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    He also told me that he had run my plate and knew before I spoke that I had a CHL but was nice that I told him at on set of our "talk".

Ive heard that CHL in NC is tied to your vehicals tag,but never gave any info about my trucks.
    How do they know?
    When they run your plates and your name comes up there is also additional info on you in the data base.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

When they run your plates and your name comes up there is also additional info on you in the data base.
    What if you don't own the vehicle though?

ex: I sold my truck, so now I just drive the dog-hauler, which is solely in Mr. Bunny's name. And he does not have (nor plan to ever feign interest in) a CCWP. If I get pulled over, will it not come up then, because it's not registered in my name?

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links