oooh my, Good news New Yorkers.....I think??

This is a discussion on oooh my, Good news New Yorkers.....I think?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Did I just hear that TWO democrats have SWITCHED SIDES and are now REPUBLICANS . If true Republicans would now have a majority in the ...

Thread: oooh my, Good news New Yorkers.....I think??

Did I just hear that TWO democrats have SWITCHED SIDES and are now REPUBLICANS.

If true Republicans would now have a majority in the Legislature.

now maybe some of these goofy gun laws will go away.

although I'm not going to hold my breath just yet
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

R News | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Senate GOP seizes control in political coup
    Senate GOP seizes control in political coup
    Updated: 06/08/2009 06:20 PM
    By: Web Staff

ALBANY, N.Y. -- With the help of two rogue Democrats, a group of state Republicans have seized control of the New York State Senate. Leadership in Albany has been thrown into question as a result.

Republicans in the State Senate say they have seized power from State Senate Majority leader Malcolm Smith, a Democrat, and installed a bipartisan majority.

Within an hour of the defection of Pedro Espada Jr. of the Bronx and Hiram Monserrate of Queens, Republicans anointed Dean Skelos of Long Island as the new Majority Leader, and Espada as President Pro Temp.

Senate GOP seizes control in political coup
    With the help of two rogue Democrats, a group of state Republicans have seized control of the New York State Senate. Leadership in Albany has been thrown into question as a result. Erin Billups has more from the Capitol.

Senate power fight
    Republicans claim they are poised to take over control of the State Senate, in a move that left Democrats stunned this afternoon. Just before 4 p.m., the GOP called for a vote on new leadership. Capital Tonight host Brian Taffe breaks down what happened.

In a released statement, Monserrate said, "I am a life-long Democrat and remain a loyal Democrat. After today's proceedings, I am proud to form a bipartisan coalition that has elected the first Latino President Pro Tem of the New York State Senate, my colleague, the Honorable Pedro Espada Jr. We look forward to conferencing with fellow Democrats to ensure that real reforms become a reality in the State of New York."

Following the news, the Democrats walked out of the Senate Chamber and the power and television feed were cut.

In a statement, a spokesman for Senator Malcolm Smith said, "This was an illegal and unlawful attempt to gain control of the Senate and reverse the will of the people who voted for a Democratic Majority. Nothing has changed, Senator Malcolm A. Smith remains the duly elected Temporary President and Majority Leader. The real Senate Majority is anxious to get back to governing, and will take immediate steps to get us back to work."

Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos has also released a statement saying, "A new bipartisan coalition elected today, has delivered on the promises for reform that the Senate Democrat leadership failed to keep. The new rules adopted today will create a more open, bipartisan, transparent and member-driven body that will take dramatic new steps to end Albany dysfunction."

Syracuse Senator David Valesky, who was named Vice President Pro Tem of the senate in January, says despite the day's events, the leadership has not changed. He said, "The Senate Democratic Majority Conference remains just that the majority conference, elected by the will of the people. The events that occurred in the Senate Chamber today represent nothing but an empty and illegal grab for power."

Maybe this will stop the silly Firearms Bills waiting on the Senate vote, please please please

like i said, I ain't holden my breath just yet.

The dummycrats won't give up power easily
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Espada is being investigated by the Bronx DA. If he is guilty of something then the vote is split 31-30. It is gonna be a tough sell, but they just might pull it off.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    like i said, I ain't holden my breath just yet.

The dummycrats won't give up power easily
    Doesn't sound like they'll have a choice on the matter.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Doesn't sound like they'll have a choice on the matter.
    unfortunately, yes they do. Several *law makers* including the governor are saying the vote was illegal.

Today's legislative session should be interesting.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

So what stops republicans from turning democrat. I am all for reps that are pro gun, but this is too shady for me. What happens when our next republican pro gun pres gets elected, then two months later, he turns anti and democrat?

Is this possible?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    So what stops republicans from turning democrat. I am all for reps that are pro gun, but this is too shady for me. What happens when our next republican pro gun pres gets elected, then two months later, he turns anti and democrat?

Is this possible?
    Sure it's possible. The vote you cast is for an individual, not a party. Politicians switch party affiliation all the time. The only recourse you have is to vote them out of office the next election. It does make for interesting politics having a president and vice president from different party's, but it was quite common in the early days when the president and vice president were voted on separately. Even today there is nothing that says a president must chose a running mate from his own party.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sure it's possible. The vote you cast is for an individual, not a party. Politicians switch party affiliation all the time. The only recourse you have is to vote them out of office the next election. It does make for interesting politics having a president and vice president from different party's, but it was quite common in the early days when the president and vice president were voted on separately. Even today there is nothing that says a president must chose a running mate from his own party.
    Learn something new every day. Now I feel bad for everyone who vote based soley on party afiliation...

Actually, I believe (I could be wrong) that a politician cannot switch party affiliation while seated. They can switch while RUNNING for re-election and if elected they will be of the newly designated party. The remainder of their current term is of the current party. They cannot just switch after election as they choose.

Even if I am wrong about the above, the article was clear that the people who defected did not "officially" switch party affiliation. One of them even said that he was still a Democrat. Thus, the election was unlawful because there was no "new" majority party.

Links