Another panhandler

Another panhandler

This is a discussion on Another panhandler within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think I have been approached at least 10 times in the last 6 months. Nothing scary but, the S&W Bodyguard in the right front ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another panhandler

Another panhandler

I think I have been approached at least 10 times in the last 6 months. Nothing scary but, the S&W Bodyguard in the right front pocket sure feels comforting. This clown was on a bike an needed $13.00 to go with the $2.00 he already had. Nice to have a goal. john

What booze is he buying for $15?
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    About a month ago, a woman pulled beside me in a parking lot. I was loading groceries into my truck. She asked if I had 2 dollars for some gas, she needed to get to Houston. Since Houston is 95 miles away,I really looked at her car.I definitely want a car that gets that kind of mileage! I told her to go away.

Weirdest I've had of late would be some wacked out lady trying to sell me a bunch of hardback novels out the back of her SUV.

Maybe just maybe these people do not have the concept of
    measuring or respecting 21 feet........................know what i mean?

I stopped by at the TGIF in Puyallup WA and I was surprised at a new trend that has started there in the parking lots. A well dressed woman came up to me. She was dressed really good. Business casual, tan coat, shoes, well groomed. I thought she was going to ask me directions. All she did was ask me for $10 since she was out of gas for her Prius. I just ignored her. Then I saw another guy, also well dressed, asking someone else for money for gas. These two were together, yet they both had different descriptions of their vehicles. He apparently had a Jeep.

I was surprised that someone who can afford to dress so well, and has the time to groom themselves, can resort to panhandling. You should have seen these guys, they looked high class.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I stopped by at the TGIF in Puyallup WA and I was surprised at a new trend that has started there in the parking lots. A well dressed woman came up to me. She was dressed really good. Business casual, tan coat, shoes, well groomed. I thought she was going to ask me directions. All she did was ask me for $10 since she was out of gas for her Prius. I just ignored her. Then I saw another guy, also well dressed, asking someone else for money for gas. These two were together, yet they both had different descriptions of their vehicles. He apparently had a Jeep.

I was surprised that someone who can afford to dress so well, and has the time to groom themselves, can resort to panhandling. You should have seen these guys, they looked high class.
    maybe they were doing some sort of psycological study? ive never seen any bums that were well dressed or groomed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post

Maybe this was one of the days they were out looking for jobs.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

I am very cautious with being around those begging for just a little 'extra'. I've read too many article of 'interviews' or just plain 'crazies' starting out with..."Ya got an extra dollar mister?"
    My wife and I are always willing to help those with some misfortune having crossed their paths, but I do not take kindly to those who have no problem 'asking' in public.
    I try to have eyes in the back of my head in parking lots, and I am not friendly with those who try to approach me.
    Letting these 'beggers' get too close can be the beginning of probelms one does not want to encounter.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Several years ago the wife and I had reason to travel a well traveled N-S interstate highway. Several times in the same short time period. We encountered a family that appeared down and out and had a great story at a particular rest stop. One week later, same interstate, at a different stop we encountered the 'same family' with the same story, I guess.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Kind of an interesting story. One of the business men from my company came over from Germany and was walking through downtown New York. Guy comes out and asks him for change and he tells him, "Sorry all I have is large bills".

He never saw his wallet again.

I don't trust most people, some people just have this aura of deceit around them even if they are dressed nice and don't look like trouble. For my and their safety I ignore panhandlers. You also have to watch for fake charities that go door to door. As a hard working member of the American Cancer Society people who pretend to be from a charity to collect money for themselves really [Expletive Deleted] me off.

Back in the early 90's I lived in downtown Nashville and was stopped by a panhandler who asked me for a dollar to buy a couple of cigarettes ( the store on the corner sold single cigarettes). I told him all I had was a ten and I wasn't going to give it to him. He pulls out a wad of cash and said he could make change... I just called him a name and walked away.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

You know, as recently as 30 years ago, panhandling or begging was something to be ashamed of. Even accepting charity from strangers was shameful if done in public.

Nowadays, it seems to be the new business enterprise model.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I only need 999,999 to go with my dollar to make me a millionare..
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My favorite one was many years ago, guy said he needed money for a cab to get to the VA Hospital. He awkwardly hid his thumb in his palm and held up four fingers and said he lost his thumb in "Nam". I asked him what unit he was with and where were they deployed. He told me to do something sexually impossible to myself and moved on with all ten fingers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links