Can you find it in your heart...

This is a discussion on Can you find it in your heart... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was approached by a young man on the street yesterday who asked "Can you find it in your heart to give me a dollar?" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you find it in your heart...

Can you find it in your heart...

I was approached by a young man on the street yesterday who asked "Can you find it in your heart to give me a dollar?" I looked him in the eye and said "What's a heart?" He looked at me like I was the stupid one, pretty funny.

2. Remove Ads

I always tell them that I have some work I need done and they seem to come up with some interesting excuses.

One time a guy asked me for some money to get to work. I asked him where he worked and he told me the name of my uncle's company. I said hang on let me call my uncle to come get you for work. His eyes got really big and he ran off.

1943 - 2009
    That's a pretty rude response. This young man could be a professional panhandler, but then again, maybe he really IS down on his luck. If so, you really did a lot for his ego and self-esteem.

You had no way of knowing this young man's circumstances, other than he asked you for a dollar (and politely, it would seem, according to your post.)

Congratulations.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I don't know about your area, but we have plenty of places that people without 'basic needs' can get help...food, shelter, etc., no one has to 'panhandle' like they may HAVE to do in India where one may NOT have other solutions.

I do not feel compassion for those begging on the streets of our town. My assistance with food and other items goes to various organizations designed to help those with needs.

There are too many problems assosicated with 'parking lot' panhandlers.OMOYMV

Stay armed...stay away from panhandlers...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sometimes I think I live in the panhandle central command of Florida. I have become a cold harsh and sometimes abrasive rejector of panhandling in general as result. Times are tough across the US but for some...times are forever tough by their own choice. Since I can't tell the difference between true need and selfish bad behavior, I treat them all the same. I also donate to my church and other charities to make up the difference
    2A is not negotiable

I would give him a dollar...but I'm a big softy

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I could find it in my heart but unfortunately that is not where I keep my money.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I like to ask them " Can you can spare a buck for me?" Some get this really weird puzzled look and walk away. I have also had homeless people hand me a dollar.

Matthew 25:40
    And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I almost always give the "dollar". Sometimes it is probably used for the wrong thing, other times maybe not. It's not my job to govern how they spend it, but if I have a dollar then I am willing to share if for no other reason than because of how blessed I am in my life.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I almost always give the "dollar". Sometimes it is probably used for the wrong thing, other times maybe not. It's not my job to govern how they spend it, but if I have a dollar then I am willing to share if for no other reason than because of how blessed I am in my life.
    I understand where your coming from... You would go broke in my town,. .Specially downtown..

Sadly we have panhandlers all over our town, so you have to harden your heart or you could spend millions in a year,. I tell them of a church that is local and they can take it upon themselves to seek help in that area,. I feel that is better then aiding them in the drunken - drug life that most of them are in.. Sad, but true..

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    That's a pretty rude response. This young man could be a professional panhandler, but then again, maybe he really IS down on his luck. If so, you really did a lot for his ego and self-esteem.

You had no way of knowing this young man's circumstances, other than he asked you for a dollar (and politely, it would seem, according to your post.)

Congratulations.
    +1 To both of you. If you can't give or don't want to just keep moving on but why do you feel compelled to be condescending.

Empathy and compassion are two great virtues you seem to lack, I truly hope you are never in need of them yourself.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I understand where your coming from... You would go broke in my town,. .Specially downtown..

Sadly we have panhandlers all over our town, so you have to harden your heart or you could spend millions in a year,. I tell them of a church that is local and they can take it upon themselves to seek help in that area,. I feel that is better then aiding them in the drunken - drug life that most of them are in.. Sad, but true..

I know, lucky for me I live in an area that it's not one on every block and I know exactly what you are saying. It's certainly not something everyone feels led to do. I'm a soft touch and if I have a dollar with me and my bills are paid, I give anyway. Even though I give my tithe to my church and we give to all kinds of needs it is just something I do that makes me feel good. And sadly, yes sometimes that one dollar may go with another one to buy alchohol or worse. Maybe, just a little bitty maybe, even as they buy it they will be touched and examine their lives. LOL, yeah i'm so hopeful even in my total denial :). God bless you all.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

While I wouldn't have responded that way, but I have come close. Despite what my friends think, I do have a heart. The panhandlers have made it very difficult to believe the stories though.

One Sunday between our services, a dude showed up begging for money to get diapers for his kid. I didn't buy into it, had seen him around the neighborhood before and I kindly referred him to a list of phone numbers for assistance and said he could use the phone. He didn't seem to like that answer. My mom gave him 5 bucks and one of the other ladies drove to a nearby grocery store, bought diapers and brought them back. He refused to take them and left. Others saw him at other churches in our neighborhood doing obviously the same. Sounds hard-hearted, but this guy was just a bum and plying his trade.

Yet, I have given people loose change at times, one in particular who was so honest that he needed a drink and wasn't going to make up a story to get what I could give, got a handful of change.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; June 10th, 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add a word
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    While I wouldn't have responded that way, but I have come close. Despite what my friends think, I do have a heart. The panhandlers have made it very difficult to believe the stories though.

One Sunday between our services, a dude showed up begging for money to get diapers for his kid. I didn't buy into it, had seen him around the neighborhood before and I kindly referred him to a list of phone numbers for assistance and said he could use the phone. He didn't seem to like that answer. My mom gave him 5 bucks and one of the other ladies drove to a nearby grocery store, bought diapers and brought them back. He refused to take them and left. Others saw him at other churches in our neighborhood doing obviously the same. Sounds hard-hearted, but this guy was just a bum and plying his trade.

Yet, I have given people loose change at times, one in particular who was so honest that he needed a drink and wasn't going to make up a story to get what I could give, got a handful of change.

OHHh yeah, we have had people come to us at church with some wild things. We usually do not give money to people that are not "our" own congregation. When we help those people we go down, pay their light bill or house rent etc. We also have a grocery store in our town that we charge groceries to and the man who owns it always makes sure it's the "right kind" of groceries and also that they don't get things that they would quicly sale. It's a shame that our society is like that but it happens. Had a meeting once where it was only a few of us "ladies" at the church. We looked up and this guy was standing almost in front of us and we were caught really off guard. Seems he "needed gas because his brother had died" in VA and he needed to get there. We didn't help him that night. I'v always wished we had followed him to the the gas station and put in enough to got him there. ** also made me decide I would carry at church from then on also**

I usually try to govern whether or not they need it by their teeth. A lot of the panhandlers around here are meth heads with pretty much no teeth. I never give them money. I tend not to give most of them money in general. I usually prefer to buy them food instead. Ok, story time:

The other week my dad had an older black woman approach him in his work van while he was eating lunch. She knocked on his window and asked him if he could spare any money b/c she hadn't eaten in a few days and could go in the dollar general across the parking lot he was sitting in and get some groceries.

He mostly wanted her to leave him alone so that he could finish his lunch, so he pulled some money out of his pocket and all he had was a bunch of 20s. He handed her the 20 and her eyes got as big and dinner plates. She looked at it and then back and him and asked, "I can have it all?" After he said yes, she said she could eat for a week with that and asked if she could give him her blessing. This is where it gets interesting.

She then says she'll need to touch him in order to do it. He was reluctant about this, but opened his door anyways. She hugged him and pulled his cheek against hers. She then began mumbling very quietly to herself. Dad never understood a word she said. When she was done, she kissed his forehead and said, "I don't know when your blessing will come, but you'll know it when it happens." She then thanked him again and went straight to the dollar general and stayed in there until he left.

This reminds me of this verse in Hebrews: “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.” The funny thing is, Dad never saw her coming, but he'd been watching all around his van the whole time b/c it's a common place for panhandlers. Anyways, thought it was an interesting story. Sorry for the wall of text.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links