Small Pickup Advice needed, looking to buy

This is a discussion on Small Pickup Advice needed, looking to buy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I'm looking for a replacement 2nd vehicle, and decided to go with used again, rather than new. I've pretty much decided that I'd like ...

So I'm looking for a replacement 2nd vehicle, and decided to go with used again, rather than new. I've pretty much decided that I'd like a small pickup...al-a Ford Ranger or Chevy S10. I'm hoping to be able to find something around $4000, so I can pay cash. I think with some digging, I can find maybe a 2003 in that range.

I'm looking for:

-fuel economy
    -reliability
    -towing a light trailer from time to time...(total trailer weight should always be under 1000 lbs)
    -ability to pickup lumber or big stuff from time to time
    -ease and expense of maintenance and repairs

I'm sure you guys have opinions on this stuff...which would you lean toward, and why? Does anyone want to sell me one in the Detroit Area?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Back when I had a small electrical contracting company, I had several Rangers. I liked 'em well, they never let me down. The 4x4 models with the larger V6 lasted longer and drove better, I've always said that when I don't have kids to haul around, I'd like to have my Ranger back.

If I were going to go with a 4 banger, it would be a yota.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i had a 2000 s10 liked it got about 18-20 mpg did what i needed it to do havent had a ranger in years. s10 had a few problems with there drive train if you pulled a trailer a lot you had to change the cv joints every 2 years but the truck ran good avter 2 deer crashes and 150000 miles it still runs like a champ.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    i had a 2000 s10 liked it got about 18-20 mpg did what i needed it to do havent had a ranger in years. s10 had a few problems with there drive train if you pulled a trailer a lot you had to change the cv joints every 2 years but the truck ran good avter 2 deer crashes and 150000 miles it still runs like a champ.
    I had an S-10 years ago in my Nothern MI days, but I got better DPM (Deer Per Mile) than you...

Never had a problem with it and gas mileage was great... (Rangers and S-10's) nice little trucks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My friend owns a transmission shop and he told me once upon a time that he sees mazda 626s' and ford rangers more than any other car. I havent really had any experience with them other than my work truck. Sounds like most of the members have had good rather than bad. May just want to pay a lil extra attention to the tranny, espescially while buying used. Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I like Rangers, although the S10 is nice too. Also Mazda has a Ranger clone made by Ford, so that might be an option too.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    With a choice between a Ranger and a S-10 I'd go with the Ranger. I drove them almost exclusively for about 10 years. That being said, for a small truck now I would go with a Tacoma. Built better and better resale valuse if you ever decide to get rid of it.

I have heard the Toyota trucks have a good rep...but I have yet been able to bring myself to drive a foreign vehicle. I do realize that they made be elsewhere in Mexico or Canada anyway, but I'd feel better driving something that's at least US flagged...

Thanks for the tips so far...hoping the right one will fall into my lap this weekend so I can get this over with by Tuesday.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My dad is a cattle farmer and currently has a Colorado. If you plan to go off of the paved road AT ALL, this is NOT the truck for you. He has the Z71 package and was told by the dealership that the truck was not designed to be used the way he uses it (as a work truck--light hauling, driving through pastures, etc.)

Two examples:
    1) If you get grass or weeds on the radiator, you can not fit an air hose between the grille and the radiator to blow it off. You have to drain and remove the radiator.

2) There is an air filter to vent fresh air into the fuel system. This filter is located in the wheel well. (Filter = clean and wheel well = filthy. Do YOU see a problem here? GM engineers do not, as it was been this way on his 2 previous S-10s, too.)

Dad is taking his dealer's word that Chevy does not make a small truck suitable for work. He is currently searching for something new. Let us know what you find.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma I bought new and it has 145000 on it. It has the 4.3 V6 and runs still like a champ. I have run Mobil 1 synthetic since its first oil change. Basically an s-10 with nicer trim.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Toyota. Did I mention Toyota?

Links