PETA, what a bunch of idiots!

This is a discussion on PETA, what a bunch of idiots! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No intent here to defend PETA, but why would anyone kill any living thing, not doing them any real harm, if they could reasonably avoid ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PETA, what a bunch of idiots!

Ron
    No intent here to defend PETA, but why would anyone kill any living thing, not doing them any real harm, if they could reasonably avoid doing so?

I recently spent a good half hour trying to trap a land crab in my back yard(very ugly looking things that are around seasonally in South Florida) that was driving my dogs crazy, to avoid killing it. I finally got it and removed it to the park right down the block from us.

PETA has clearly gone to the extreme, but If caring about other living things is considered idiocy, then I readily admit to falling into that category.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    I believe in PETA

People
    Easting
    Tasty
    Animals
    heck yes! for every animal they don't eat, i'll eat three!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    No intent here to defend PETA, but why would anyone kill any living thing, not doing them any real harm, if they could reasonably avoid doing so?

I recently spent a good half hour trying to trap a land crab in my back yard(very ugly looking things that are around seasonally in South Florida) that was driving my dogs crazy, to avoid killing it. I finally got it and removed it to the park right down the block from us.

PETA has clearly gone to the extreme, but If caring about other living things is considered idiocy, then I readily admit to falling into that category.
    The fact is that they don't care for animals. They don't care a whit for that deer in the woods. They just don't want you to have one. It's a looney control thing. Pure and simple.

I'm about to go and kill some fleas on my cat. Don't know how she got them. Oh the humanity!
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

I had a friend from Georgia say this to a PETA member. " Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder." I nearly spit out my drink when he said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is no doubt we need to do more to clean up our act in the food-animal production and processing industry, and there is no doubt that there have been abuses of animals in research settings, none of which justifies the extreme viewpoint of groups such as PETA.
    This country has come a long way in how food is raised and killed. Most places now are very humane... I laugh at the peta video where they show chickens being de-beaked. this feels the same to them as cutting fingernails to us yet the peta idiots complain and call is cruel. I have been verbally harassed by PETA nitwits while at work(I am a meat cutter). Most of these fools have never set food in a real Meat packing plant or have been to a meat market. they all need to get a life.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    The fact is that they don't care for animals. They don't care a whit for that deer in the woods. They just don't want you to have one. It's a looney control thing. Pure and simple.

I'm about to go and kill some fleas on my cat. Don't know how she got them. Oh the humanity!
    I stated clearly that I was not defending PETA, and there is an adult intelligent way to disagree with me, not by making some smart guy sarcastic comment. And, for your information, fleas are harmful to your cat.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member

Meat packing plant

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    Most of these fools have never set food in a real Meat packing plant or have been to a meat market. they all need to get a life.
    Well, I have been in slaughter houses and processing plants. Swine, poultry, not beef.

I'm not intending to argue whether or not progress has been made, merely suggesting that there is room for improvement in production from farm to retail. And, room for improvement with respect to both humane treatment and food safety issues. (The two go hand in hand to some degree.)

There is a huge difference between concern for humane treatment of sentient animals, especially mammals, and concern about a fly, flea, or crab.

My G-d, I thwacked a fly this very afternoon. Should I be guilt ridden?
    Well, that fly got its revenge. My plastic swatter broke into fragments. The soap dish on the sink went ah, flying, and Mrs. Hopyard was upset by the fact that our dish sponge landed on the floor where it made a soapy mess. There is a judge.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Plus, bugs are icky. Except spiders, spiders are cool. Because they eat the icky bugs.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I don't think there's anything wrong with this attitude. I'll even go through the work to catch a spider and release it outside, instead of squishing it like most folks would. I just see no need to kill anything that doesn't need killing.

However, the PETA people aren't really pro-animal rights. They're pro-insanity. They advocate all kinds of looney positions, like that having pets is cruelty. My dog loves being a pet -- that's how pack animals are. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't last a week in the wild, but that's where PETA would like him to go. They'd rather see your pets dead than be pets. That's why their "shelters" actually kill practically all of the animals they "rescue."

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with this attitude. I'll even go through the work to catch a spider and release it outside, instead of squishing it like most folks would. I just see no need to kill anything that doesn't need killing.
    "
    Good for you. How can anyone with any kind of humanity in them, take issue with this attitude?

J. R. R. Tolkien

I wonder how a PETA executive handles a cockroach infestation in his own home? Or maybe his house is falling down due to termites........ Whaddya think? Does he gently capture all these pesky little creatures and then release them safely into the wild?

Now, on the other hand, if a big, fat honeybee gets into my house; I catch him and release back to outdoors.

I do agree with PETA on many issues of humane animal treatment though.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Moderator
    All this story does is serve to illustrate how out of touch with reality that PETA is.

A guy swats a fly.

They send him a flytrap to catch another so that it can be safely released so that it can come back to pester him again. If that ain't "circular" like some of the arguments that we see here occasionally then what is?

These people obviously have too much time on their hands.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    I believe in PETA

People
    Easting
    Tasty
    Animals
    Now I support that!!!!
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I stated clearly that I was not defending PETA, and there is an adult intelligent way to disagree with me, not by making some smart guy sarcastic comment.
    I wasn't making a sarcastic comment. It's true. They don't care about animals, unless killing 95% of them is caring. They don't give a darn about that deer. They just don't want me to get one. Directed at them, not you.

And, for your information, fleas are harmful to your cat.
    Again directed at them, not you. And by sarcastic you mean the oh the humanity thing. Yes that was sarcastic but I won't apologize for it. I'm tired of the looney lefty weirdos and their queer ways.

Spider or fly in the house? SQUASH! There are plenty of them. Not endangered and they are not people.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

The only good thing about PETA is the naked vegans doing their protests. Well, some of them at least. I mean how can you be a fat vegan? Isnt that kind of an oxymoron?
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links