Biker Accidents "Graphic" - Page 2

Biker Accidents "Graphic"

This is a discussion on Biker Accidents "Graphic" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will not be able to get those pics out of my mind....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biker Accidents "Graphic"

I will not be able to get those pics out of my mind.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't have one, but sometimes wish I did.
    The freedom you get riding must be great.But the problem is that
    I don't think it matters if you wear full helmet,leathers, suit of armor.
    When bike meets car,truck, wall....bike loses all the time.

In a car you at least have a cage around you,seat belts, four wheels so you won't tip over,(usually). A bike has like an ejection seat built in or something. Remember falling off a bike as a kid? Usually it wasn't at 50mph and it usually sent you tumbling or slamming your coconuts into the bars. That never felt good. Add some speed and the possibilty of getting mowed down after falling off, err..sounds like a bad deal.

I think that a lot of the motorcycle crashes are not the riders fault, it's usually some idiot not paying attention. But the rider with all his safety gear has no chance when things go wrong, no matter how safe he rides.

Maybe if the whole world rode motorcycles it would be safer, but being out in the open just gives you higher danger.

Whoever rides, that's cool. Be safe.
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

Just thought I wanted a bike to help on fuel cost...my huge Dodge 3500 diesel just got to feeling mighty comforting right now.woooo
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Great web site. It should be a "must see" for anyone contemplating a new motorcycle. I would love to have a new bike and would buy one in a minute if God would simply guarantee that I would die (instead of paralyzed) in an accident. But I haven't heard back from God yet, so I think I'll stick with my pickup truck..............

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Great web site. It should be a "must see" for anyone contemplating a new motorcycle. I would love to have a new bike and would buy one in a minute if God would simply guarantee that I would die (instead of paralyzed) in an accident. But I haven't heard back from God yet, so I think I'll stick with my pickup truck..............

-
    oh come on man, jsut think of the bright side. you get one of those really cool steven hawking-ish wheelchairs, then you take said chair and go find a short pier over deep water and take a long ride off it. :) thats my plan

I was thinking about buy a Harley. Not now. Just imagine the guns I could buy with that money.

4 weeks ago we lost a friends who was decapitated by a chain link fence in a motorcycle accident. May he rest in peace. Too fast on a curve.
    Over my 28 years on the fire department I saw many people who were killed or died shorty after motorcycle accidents.
    My wife and I still love to ride. The way I see it, if you ride defensively, don't consume alcohol when riding and don't take corners too fast you increase your chances of survival expedentially.
    Over the same 28 years I also saw people die from falling off ladders and roofs, walking across the street, jogging, riding bicycles etc. When your numbers punched it doesn't matter what you are doing.
    Usually the only difference a helmet makes is whether you have an open or closed casket.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

I don't know where to find the stats now, but ... in Kansas.... deaths have reduced for seveal years in a row, and 80 some % of accidents involving bikes a "car" was at fault in the accident (pulling out in front of them, rear ending, etc). About 10% were "speed" related.

Jim ??? ya' know where the stats are ?

I know in Kansas, they showed you have more chance of dying being a pedestrian, than riding a bike.

We could show 'horror' shots of shootings too, or "victims" of murderers, or from drunk drivers, etc. There are lots of bad things that happen out there every day.

Wow! A good reminder to the danger of riding on a motorcycle. With that being said though. There are not to many better things for my soul than to get on my V-Rod and go for a long ride with no destination in mind. The good Lord will take me when he see's it fit to do so. Until then I will always have(good Lord willing) a motorcycle in my garage.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

SigNY
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

That site is no different than the anti-gunner's crud. Read the summary for the Hurt Report (researcher's name) which is a motorcycle accident study where the researchers went to actual crash sites. Most accident victims were under/not trained, inexperienced, underdressed, under the influence, etc.

If you want to ride a motorcycle take a safety course (professional instruction like the MSF - not your dad/friend/spouse/etc), take your time learning about riding and your bike, build your skills gradually, don't try to keep up with advanced riders on group rides (if they won't stop and wait for you every so often find a more mature group), take an advanced course, wear proper riding gear all the time (and no, a dress leather jacket and jeans doesn't count), maintain SA, maintain your gear and bike, headlight modulators are a fantastic invention.

It's just like any other activity in life, if you take the time to learn how to do it right, it is much more enjoyable and safer at the same time.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I considered motorcycle, but then I began riding an ambulance, which I did for 22 years as a volunteer. Once I started going on calls, all thoughts of a motorcycle went out the window. I had 2 friends with broken legs from riding, and I picked up too many people from accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Just remembered a motorcycle experience of my own... maybe we can bring a little humor to a terrible topic... REAL bike riders will chuckle at this...

My Dad had a motorcycle as his daily driver for years... actually, he had 3 bikes. I rode a little as a teenager and in my early 20's on friends' bikes, but far from a "good" rider. Fast-forward maybe 10 or 15 years, and my car had to go into the shop for 2 days and I had no ride to work. So I asked Dad if I could borrow a bike for 2 days.

Dad says, "Are you sure you know what you are doing?" I said it had been at least 10 years since I had ridden a motorcycle, so maybe I should ride around the neighborhood a little to refresh my memory.

So I took my Dad's Suzuki out onto the road... I started running through the gears... 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd... I get all the way up to top gear, and I am FLYING down the road... white knuckles and adrenaline... and I'm thinkin' to myself, "slooow down, hotshot... you need to back this baby off right now before you kill yourself..."

And I look down at the speedometer...

32 miles per hour...

Thanks, that brought a chuckle.

I still ride, and I'm lucky to be here. The last time I went down was at 65 MPH with no helmet. They say the Lord looks after fools and drunks, and I wasn't drinking that day.

Biker

Just my 2 cents.... If you going to ride take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses they are well worth the time.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Definitely a good reminder of why I stick to off-road bikes. It doesn't matter how safe you are, how much safetly equipment you wear. All it takes is one idiot in an SUV talking on his cell phone and it's Game Over.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links