Biker Accidents "Graphic"

This is a discussion on Biker Accidents "Graphic" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey...I just don't want to unnecessarily lose any good DC forum members but, I'm a strong believer in personal choice and personal responsibility so ultimately ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biker Accidents "Graphic"

Administrator
    Hey...I just don't want to unnecessarily lose any good DC forum members but, I'm a strong believer in personal choice and personal responsibility so ultimately members should just go ahead do what they are probably going to do anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    bikes are definitely dangerous....
    So are firearms.

I've seen my fair share of bike accidents, but I have been lucky enough to not have had a really bad motorcycle call as of yet. Of all the stories I hear about horrific calls, the worst are motorcycle accidents.

-First due engine could not find the patient on a motorcyle accident. After further review of the front of the car where the motorcyle was crushed into, they realized that the victim was in there also...

-Boyfriend and girlfriend out for a late night drive. Going a little too fast. Truck pulls out in front of them. After the motorcyle becomes impaled halfway into the side of the truck, the riders are thrown. As the GF(passenger) is thrown, her leg catches the top of the truck and is severed mid femur. Leg stays attached to truck, her and the boyfriend fly 30+ yards down the road. MAle dies, girlfriend lives.

I've also had it close to home. A long time childhood friend was comming home from work on the interstate. The particular stretch has a few over passes that curve at the same time. He lost control while going around the curve, hit the guard rail with his helmeted head, then flew down the 40+ hill over the guard rail. Was not immediately found. DOA. Brain matter in his helmet.

I know this isnt story sharing time but, I thought it could give you some more food for thought.

Stay safe.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Anyone look at the pics...I mean really look at them....I can see it as a great site to keep people off the Sports bikes there are FAR more wrecks with them then anything else. Ya there were a few Harley's and a few Gold Wings but most of the wrecks are from the Sports bikes.

Now I drove a tow truck from age 16 to 25 and I have seen everything and every type of accident with every type of car, Truck, Bike on the road so I feel I can say as well as any EMS or LEO....Yes you are at a much greater risk of a fatal accident then in any car or truck.

Harley and Metric Cruiser :

From my past I have to say they tend to be safer and just kick back for a ride. But this dose not mean their are not some out there that will act like a J/A.

Sport Bikes:

From my past are a 10 times more likely to be in a fatal accident. I base this on the fact that most but not all Sport Bike riders are young, very little if any training, and on a bike way to big for them...but hay it's cool and they can race a vett or any other spots car on the road. From what I have seen from Sport bike riders is they the riders are the danger. Is it really a good idea to pull the front end off the ground to impress the girls in the car next to them or weave through rush hour or any hour traffic like it's your personal race track. I have seen kids, mother's, wifes, Father's all killed because they or someone was acting like a J/A. I know this sounds and looks like I am attacking Sport Bikes but it is what I have seen.

I will not place all the blame on just the Sport Bike Rider's, Cruiser Rider's can and do some really dumb stuff on the road but I will place a larger part of the blame on the car's and truck's because they have so many more thing's to distract them from cell phone's to kids there is so much that can take one's attention off the road and NO one is exempt from it.

When I ride and drive anything I try as hard as I can to stay defensive.
    ."..and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." — Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36 NKJV

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    Plato

Geee... I used to do 'emergency extractions' , based upon that.... cars are really dangerous and YA' ALL should quit driving them. I've had several friends die in car crashes as well over the years. I could tell you some gruesome stories and I"m sure dig up some gruesome pictures .... to argue we should not drive cars.

AGAIN ... most motorcycle accidents, are caused by people driving cars.... so, if you would all stop driving them , then we would be safe riding our motorcycles.

I have had 8 friends die in the last 4 yrs from all types of odd things medically (lupus, virus, heart attack, etc) , none smoked, and were in great health (supposedly) right up to the point they died. All were between 42 and 53 yrs old.

I read many of these posts and inserted "guns" in place of "motorcycles" , and that was interesting..... seems to be the very arguments the 'anti's ' use on us.

There is one 'sure' thing in life, you will die at some point, and you probably don't know when that will be. I died once from a car accident , and was revived.... I'm still here.

I ride. I will continue to ride. I carry a gun and will continue to carry a gun. I also eat red meat. I do wear a helmut, but I didn't used to.. .... some things I saw when people went down told me I should be wearing one.

I also fly airplanes. Should we hit on them next ? And look at the fear people have of flying, yet it's one of the safest ways to travel. Bet I can find some gruesome pic's of aircraft accidents tho.

Cool Only bikes?

I wonder how many people on here who say they will never ride a bike have lost a family member or friend to cancer, and yet continue to smoke? Or have seen pictures of lungs after years of smoking? Yet they choose to continue smoking? I fully support their right to smoke. They are adults and and can make their own decisions. Every choice has a risk cost. How many people on here are married? Marriage can only end in one of two very painful ways. Divorce or death. Both are incredibly painful, yet the pleasure derived from marriage makes us willing to risk the pain. Weigh the cost against the gain, but let not fear rule your decisions. Choose wisely young grasshopper, but choose firmly.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

I play the statistics when I ride.

I never drink, not even a glass a wine when I ride.

I try my best to be off the street when it gets dark. I have been stuck at work and stayed past evening.

I wear reflective everywhere, full face helmet, bike and on my lime-green vest that covers my Kevlar motorcycle jacket.

Motorcycle boots, full fingered gloves and wear long pants, soon to get over-the-pants Kevlar riding pants.

I ride within my abilities, keep a buffer space around me and always position myself with an escape route.

I took the MSF riding course and practice frequently on empty parking lots.

Make sure my motorcycle is tip-top. Good brakes, lights working and good tread on tires

And I always ride knowing that no one sees me or expects me to be there.

The rest is just luck
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    mutumbo, you're correct that people are injured or killed in auto accidents every day. But face it, you have a great deal better chance in a collision if you're in a car rather than riding a motorcycle. And the percentage of serious injury and death from accidents is I'm sure significantly higher for motorcycles than cars.

Oh, and I get a kick out of the motorcyclists who believe that helmet laws are an infringement on their freedom. I personally believe that we should pass a law letting people ride without helmets under the following conditions: 1) They have adequate medical insurance to cover all medical and rehabilitation bills, along with loss of income, relating to motorcycle accidents. I don't want taxpayers to have to pay for treatment, or give you medicaid or welfare if you aren't smart enough to use a helmet. 2) riding without a helmet automatically gives consent for the use of any or all of your organs should you die from a motorcycle accident while riding without a helmet. I believe that our organ shortage could be solved overnight.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    mutumbo, you're correct that people are injured or killed in auto accidents every day. But face it, you have a great deal better chance in a collision if you're in a car rather than riding a motorcycle. And the percentage of serious injury and death from accidents is I'm sure significantly higher for motorcycles than cars.

Oh, and I get a kick out of the motorcyclists who believe that helmet laws are an infringement on their freedom. I personally believe that we should pass a law letting people ride without helmets under the following conditions: 1) They have adequate medical insurance to cover all medical and rehabilitation bills, along with loss of income, relating to motorcycle accidents. I don't want taxpayers to have to pay for treatment, or give you medicaid or welfare if you aren't smart enough to use a helmet. 2) riding without a helmet automatically gives consent for the use of any or all of your organs should you die from a motorcycle accident while riding without a helmet. I believe that our organ shortage could be solved overnight.
    Reply to this and QKShooter's post---I agree with both of you, and how about we refuse medical treatment for anyone that does not have insurance or can not pay for it, and no more welfare for mothers that can't figure out birth control, if they want to have unprotected sex and accept the risk, no more tax payer money for them. Drug users, they choose it, I don't want to pay for their rehab either. People too lazy to work, BK or MickyD's are always hiring, no more unemployment pay.... I am sooooo tired of me always pay,pay,pay.

Ok, understand my post is tongue in cheek, but I do agree with you that we as a society need to be held personally responsible for our actions, just don't single out 1 group.

Note: reference to item 1 about insurance, do you carry insurance if you were involved in a shooting, say a few of your bullets missed and hit bystanders, are you covered??

Society pays for a lot of things, while I don't agree with it, I don't think its going to change for the better any time soon.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    I understand that it is (of course) still possible to suffer a head injury even if wearing a helmet.
    That does not alter the fact that your chances are much better with one.

Here on DC all of us carry a defensive firearm but, that is also no absolute guarantee that we will survive a future life threatening scenario.
    But, all of us have reached the logical conclusion that our chances of survival are much better with one than without one.

Actually you really don't even need to physically "crack your skull" in order to suffer serious permanent brain damage.
    All that really needs to happen is for your brain to be violently jolted inside the brain case.
    It is akin to "Shaken Baby Syndrome" only it's the adult version.

That is where wearing a high quality helmet can really help keep your thought processes intact.

Also...forgetting all about possible brain damage - Facial bones are easily broken and wearing a proper protective helment can really save you from having to undergo a complete facial reconstruction should you happen to hit full force on your face. That is where a good helmet really shines.

Distinguished Member
    Would agree with helmet will lessen the odds, but I do wish I could decide if and when I want to wear it. We all assume risks every day, every hour, calculate the risk factor, and go forward with our choices.

Side note, when we ride, we have a leader, he is paying particular attention to road hazards, and traffic, lane changing, and stopped traffic, he communicates this info to us via C.B. radio. Sure makes the ride go smoother.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

This is a pic of my wife & I with my 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa that i bought brand new in 03' but sold after my son was born in 2007. I have seen many pics & videos like this before & i still have a HUGE passion for bikes & really want another one (just watch your butt out there) I still get upset about selling the Busa when i see a sport bike rippin down the street
    Attached Images
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

80 + % of all motorcycle deaths in our state, are the fault of people driving cars. Let's just outlaw the cars, save gas, the planet, and uh..... have world peace.

My son in law got a motorcycle. He is a safe person, but I worry about "the other guy". All my years in EMS, the majority of the motorcycle accidents were not the fault of the rider, but the vehicle that didn't see them.
    I don't have his email and if I sent this to my daughter, the son in law would probably never talk to me again. I will try to get HIS email so he can see this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    got off the freeway this morning on my way to work and saw an accident on the bridge over the freeway. as I was driving by (doing my best to not rubber neck) I noticed it was a motorcycle that was smashed to bits all over the road. I hope that person is alright, but it really made me think of this thread.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links