bought off the street

bought off the street

This is a discussion on bought off the street within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had to share this while it's still fresh in memory. A small mall guard told me while we were fraternizing that in Texas he ...

Thread: bought off the street

bought off the street

I had to share this while it's still fresh in memory. A small mall guard told me while we were fraternizing that in Texas he easily bought an a.k. and a submachine gun and when I asked him did you buy it from the store he said no. He bought it from a guy near a police station and that guy doesn't even have a store but was just walking outside with a bag. I don't believe what this guard is telling me because it sounds strange but I told him "Do you remember what happened to T.I." he said yes, he is in jail for 1 year for weapons inside his trunk for which he didn't legally buy. I told the guard that every state has it's own laws and legally you are suppose to register the weapons with the BATF so you may consider trying to get them registered. I think it may be a felony to possess certain weapons like machine guns. He told me, when the police stop me, I tell them they are in the trunk. This is Minnesota and I am pretty sure any cop who stops him with all those weapons in his trunk without a permit will surely take them away and he may even face criminal charges. I told him to get a permit to carry like I do and he asked me how he can go about that and told him he has to take a course that usually lasts a few hours and then go to a range and then get a certificate to give to the Sheriffs. If cops he encountered in the past didn't take away his weapons, there must be something I am missing.

VIP Member
    The AK is no problem as long as it is a semi-auto. The sub-machinegun I am assuming if select fire (single or burst shot) will land him in a federal prison. Any weapon capable of burst fire requires a special tax stamp and without the proper paper trail he won't be able to get it. No mall cop badge, CC permit or anything else is going to save him from the BATFE on it.

I recall the time that soldier was on CNN who had a rifle that malfunctioned and it fired multiple rounds with one pull of trigger which made it a machine gun and the BATF or some agents came to his house and arrested him for something he had no power or control over and they gave him a felony which surprises me because I never know a judge or jury could convict a soldier of this country fighting for this country. So if they can do that to a Veteran I am sure things can get even ugly for a guard.

I have a feeling what that guard told me may not be true because how could a person just spontaneously decide to buy weapons from a guy with a backpack near a police station.

Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    I recall the time that soldier was on CNN who had a rifle that malfunctioned and it fired multiple rounds with one pull of trigger which made it a machine gun and the BATF or some agents came to his house and arrested him for something he had no power or control over and they gave him a felony which surprises me because I never know a judge or jury could convict a soldier of this country fighting for this country. So if they can do that to a Veteran I am sure things can get even ugly for a guard.

I have a feeling what that guard told me may not be true because how could a person just spontaneously decide to buy weapons from a guy with a backpack near a police station.
    That sounds strange???? Was he bragging to someone? Seems like no-one would know if he had it or not,... Who is to say he wasn't bumpfiring it or something???

Sounds strange, as does the soldier being arrest for an alleged sear failure. I'd like to find the US Attorney that's going to authorize an arrest for that. Not in this world.

Now, if there's MORE to that story....

Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    Sounds strange, as does the soldier being arrest for an alleged sear failure. I'd like to find the US Attorney that's going to authorize an arrest for that. Not in this world.

Now, if there's MORE to that story....
    You might want to do some research before judging the truth of a statement. Story here and here and here and here and, well, you get the idea. Very sad and true story.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

To the original poster: can you clarify whether those firearms are semi-auto or not? There's nothing illegal about owning a semi-auto AK or semi-auto submachine gun in most states. If they are full auto, there is no way to register them with the BATFE to make them legal. Note that: there is NO way to make them legal.

If he approaches the BATFE and tells them about his illegally owned full auto weapons, he's done for. If he still has them, he needs to find a deep river or a police gun buyback program to ditch them.

DNOWELL, I thought the same thing too. If he truly did buy them from a guy with a pack back walking down the street somewhere in Texas like he said. Then he definately needs to ditch them because he did not legally obtain those weapons but I think it was small talk for him to tell me that story because it led from talking about other things such as conceal and carry.

He said he had an AK 47 and a machine gun. I don't think he used the word sub. I am sure owning a machine gun is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    To the original poster: can you clarify whether those firearms are semi-auto or not? There's nothing illegal about owning a semi-auto AK or semi-auto submachine gun in most states. If they are full auto, there is no way to register them with the BATFE to make them legal. Note that: there is NO way to make them legal.
    Other than the fact that a semi-auto submachine gun is a contradiction in terms, I am not going to argue with you except to say that you CAN own full auto weapons, with the proper paperwork, in many states, Connecticut being one. Properly registered suppressors (silencers) are legal here, as well.

A machine gun or submachine gun is, by definition, a fully automatic weapon. Of course, to the media ANY weapon other than a single shot is a "machine gun".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Majorlk: I should clarify what I meant. I'm aware that you can own a class 3 firearm. However, you need to fill out the paperwork before you buy it, and through a class 3 dealer. Since he didn't do any paperwork, it cannot have been a legal transfer.

In regards to machine guns and SMGs being fully automatic by definition, I agree. However, so many people use the terms to describe guns which are traditionally classified that way that I assumed he might be doing that. For example, MP5s are almost always called SMGs, even if they're actually semi-auto.

Congratulations. You have met Gecko45 and survived to tell about it. I always wondered where he resided....

Shrine of the Mall Ninja LonelyMachines

Sponsored Links