Not a good night

Not a good night

This is a discussion on Not a good night within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I sit here typing at 3 something in the morning I am thinking I'm glad to be alive. I went camping with my 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a good night

VIP Member

Not a good night

As I sit here typing at 3 something in the morning I am thinking I'm glad to be alive. I went camping with my 3 year old tonight and got caught in a HUGE lightning storm (it was clear sky when we went to bed). I made a mad 300 yd dash back my van with my boy under one arm and all the stuff I could carry under the other. Lightning was smacking all over the place. I was trying to stay as low as possible. It was darn scary!

So my son is safely tucked in his bed and I am trolling DC like my usual addicted self. I'm going to crash to in a few minutes and in the morning I'll have to go get the rest of my stuff and my tent.

So much for the "big boy camp out night" that we were really looking forward to. Oh well...
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Bummer, hate to hear off a good campout ruined. Glad you and your son are safe.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Tim, I am glad you guys are OK. That must had been scary as heck.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Yeah, lightening is nothing to play with. It is facinating to watch, but only from a safe location. Glad you were able to get you and your son out safely.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Glad you both are safe!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    You live for another day.

Oh, what a wimp! What's a little lightning?

j/k.

Glad you are both okay, timmy.
    We live in the lightning capital of the world...and lightning can make you hurt yourself, if it doens't do it first.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Glad you and Family are ok.

Maybe you can try another night to camp out.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Lighting is nothing to fool around with.Just look at the houses and people who are struck each year.The best place to be in in a car. Glad you and your son are ok. I have three friends who have lost their house to lighting in the past 4 years.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Tim, I am glad you guys are OK. That must had been scary as heck.
    Thanks. It was pretty scary. Even after we got to the van my boy was crying and scared. He doesn't like the BOOOOOMs! He's still a little guy.

We did catch some bass and a few frogs before bed so it was kinda fun before the typhoon hit. We also had a nice camp fire and every three year old boy thinks a camp fire is the "most bestest" super coolest thing ever.

We went back this morning and got our stuff. Since I left the tent door open when we ran for our lives everything was soaked. Oh well.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Thanks. It was pretty scary. Even after we got to the van my boy was crying and scared. He doesn't like the BOOOOOMs! He's still a little guy.

We did catch some bass and a few frogs before bed so it was kinda fun before the typhoon hit. We also had a nice camp fire and every three year old boy thinks a camp fire is the "most bestest" super coolest thing ever.

We went back this morning and got our stuff. Since I left the tent door open when we ran for our lives everything was soaked. Oh well.

Glad you guys are OK. You know the old adage, stuff can be replaced. Sounds like you had an angel there protecting you against that lightning.

Also remember, that after things calm down a bit, this will be an incredible bonding moment between you two. I am sure even at his age, he will remember that.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Glad you guys are OK. You know the old adage, stuff can be replaced. Sounds like you had an angel there protecting you against that lightning.

Also remember, that after things calm down a bit, this will be an incredible bonding moment between you two. I am sure even at his age, he will remember that.
    I was praying the whole time I was running.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Good to hear everyone is safe.
    Lightning suck, considering I am a literal lightning rod I know.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm glad you and your little one are safe.

Having lived in the Lightning capital for my life thus far, I can indeed agree with you that a directly overhead lightning storm is NOT fun when you are still outside.

I've had lightning strike literally less than 30 feet from my position before. The noise, light, heat, and sheer shock of the thing was incredible... as was the smell of the ionized air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links