MagicJack - So far So good

This is a discussion on MagicJack - So far So good within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got the MagicJack, I had Vonage and thought it was terrible an d went back to Cox. If this works out, I will give ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MagicJack - So far So good

MagicJack - So far So good

I got the MagicJack, I had Vonage and thought it was terrible an d went back to Cox. If this works out, I will give up my Cox telephone service and just keep it to cell phones and magicJack.

I have a co-worker whose wife is Philippine, They bought 2 of them and assigned them Arizona numbers. They sent one of the magicjacks to the Philippines. Now they can call each other and it appears as if they are calling local numbers. Now I thought that was cool
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've been curious about the majicjack. Do you get a local area coded number? I heard that you sometimes get stuck with a number with an area code that isn't in your area.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I've been curious about the majicjack. Do you get a local area coded number? I heard that you sometimes get stuck with a number with an area code that isn't in your area.

I actually got a choice of 5 area codes. Since I am fairly new to AZ, I knew 4 of them right from the get go and they were local metro-Phoenix area codes. One I was not familiar with. The one I choose is my current area code which is 623. Then you get to pick the exchange, the next 3, then the last four. With those you got about 3 choices
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Can you explain the magic? How does it work?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Can you explain the magic? How does it work?

All that comes in the mail is a 2 inch x 1 inch x 1/2 inch box with a USB plug (male end) on one end and a telephone input jack (female) on the other end.

The computer needs to be setup for either wireless or DSL/Cable Internet.

Plug the USB into one of the USB Ports on your computer, plug the telephone jack into the MagicJack female outlet. It will begin to load the software and prompt you for area codes/ exchange codes and last 4 digit number.

Now you are ready to go for $25 per year to make calls. If you read my first post, a co-worker is calling the Philippines as it was a local Arizona number

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Does it connect you to local 911 services?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I was thinking MagicJack was a new

There is a little monitor light on the application menu that will turn green when 911 service has the new number and location of magicjack product, So far mine is still yellow.

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I've made cracks to some of my co workers that they should buy their own airplane for trips back to the Philippines, it would be cheaper and more convenient. This Magic Jack should save a heck of a lot of money.

I just got the confirmation that my MagicJack Phone number with address is now registered with 911.

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Why Magic Jack or Vonage?

O.K. I'm having to pay for DSL; and I have cell service. I can use Skype to make calls from my computer and I get a bazillion minutes "free" with the cell.

So what advantage does Magic Jack (or Vonage) give me? I never could quite figure that out.

Right now I'm also paying for a land line (mostly for the 911 capability). Do either Magic Jack or Vonage get you reliable 911 service?

Magic Jack, Vonage, etc are all VoIP services. The advantages are lower cost than a regular landline-connected phone service. The disadvantage is that if your internet goes down, so does your phone line. Same with your power (unless your modem and any other equipment like a router is all on a backup power source). However, with the fact that many households use cordless phones exclusively on a landline (fewer and fewer corded phones these days), it may be moot - you'll lose capability in that case anyway if the power goes out.

Most VoIP services allow you to set up your location for use with e911. Skype is an example of a type of VoIP service, although it doesn't aim to closely emulate the "traditional" nature of a landline phone like with many other VoIP services.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why Magic Jack or Vonage?

O.K. I'm having to pay for DSL; and I have cell service. I can use Skype to make calls from my computer and I get a bazillion minutes "free" with the cell.

So what advantage does Magic Jack (or Vonage) give me? I never could quite figure that out.

Right now I'm also paying for a land line (mostly for the 911 capability). Do either Magic Jack or Vonage get you reliable 911 service?
    OK

My magicjack is costing 2.50 per month or about 25.00 per year. My current land line is cox, I pay about 50.00 per month to have unlimited long distance. My wife and kids talk a lot calling Michigan.

I have my Cell Phones as well and that would be my second option if power/internet is down. I am in IT and sometimes I can be on a conference call for hours, my cell phone won't last that long, otherwise I would just have cell service.

The HOA dues provides internet and cable tv as part of the HOA dues.

MagicJack has 911 service, is it reliable ? Don't know, I never used 911 service.

As I mention, you get 2 of them and give the assigned numbers of your state and city. You could give one of them to a relative and call them as they were local. My daughter just joined the army and is in bootcamp. If she is stationed in Europe, I could get another AZ magicjack assigned number and give it to her. I then could call Europe as a local call since the product doesn't know the difference if it is in AZ or not.

Also, with magicjack, I can extension in every room as long as the wireless base is the one hooked up to MJ

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I use Vonage, 30. a month for all my calls in the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links