Tennis elbow/golfers elbow... won't go away

This is a discussion on Tennis elbow/golfers elbow... won't go away within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, here's a good place to seek medical advice.........a gun forum No, really, it seems to be a good mix of people here with common ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Ok, here's a good place to seek medical advice.........a gun forum

No, really, it seems to be a good mix of people here with common sense, so here's my complaint, maybe someone has had a similar experience.

I have had tendonitis in my elbow for over a year, though not from playing tennis, actually it started from me driving too many stakes with a sledge hammer on a home improvement project. I've been to an orthopaedic doctor three times, talked to two other doctors about it.

I've had a couple of cortisone shots in it, didn't help and I refuse anymore. I know about the RICE method; and I know it's easy to aggravate it again; and I know it takes a long time to heal; and I'm willing to wait. I'd be willing to take NSAID's for a while.

What's the most effective things you've done to get rid of yours? Personally I think it's going to take a multi-pronged treatment and I'm going to have to be patient for a long time.

BTW do your think physical therapy would be worth the time? That's about the only thing I haven't tried yet.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've had it on and off for years. Both for tennis and golf.

At least for me, NSAID's are the key.......especially before a round or match. I eat 'em like potato chips!

I've never heard of PT as an option since it's overuse that usually causes the inflammation in the first place. I'm curious, what kind of PT are they talking about?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

tendonitus

Well I am a swimmer it is my favorite workout ever, however over the course of high school and swimming 10-13000 yards a night I swam my shoulder into submission and know your pain. Cortizone only works so long. NSAIDS are a god send but I will recomend a precsription other than IBprofen (it will eat you stomach to shreds) I am currently on Nambumetone. As far as PT alot of what they do for tendonitus is stabilzer muscle work and ensuring prope range of movement and such and the PT does help in the long run. I have been fighting the shoulder for 4 years now pt on and off always working on my own, I finally got back into a pool about a month ago after 3 years without touching the water and holding it together alright I had to tweak my form to keep the shoulder feeling good but you do what you have too. I am really not looking foward to shoulder surgery but some day will probably tear the tendon loose (bicipetal) and have them fix the rotator cuff while there at it. Welcome to the club.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Try a half shot of vinegar. It might not help with the tendons, but it will relax the muscles that cramp in sympathy and let the pills work on the inflammation.

Have you tried vitamin B6? I used to to get bad tendonitis from weight lifting and softball. Had a friend who is a nutritionist recommend it when I had tendonitis that hadn't improved for weeks even with PT and ultrasound. Started taking large doses, like 500mg 3 times a day. Within 2 days it was noticeably better and after 10 days I was back to heavy lifting with no discomfort.

I dont know if it works but there is an old lady at work that says to put wd-40 on any joint that has pain. Just put a little on there and rub it in. Might smell funny but if it works.

Believe it or not, bowling cured it - it was in my right elbow.

Sounds like you tore the tendon ,it healed badly,full of scar tissue and stays irritated. I have the same thing, more than likely will have surgery soon. I find out on Friday. Been going to pT for it,, it just aggravates it in my case.

Have you had an MRI ?

I heard a rumor that sending all your firearm to Hitch King will help.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I heard a rumor that sending all your firearm to Hitch King will help.

You might be on to something; the other day I was shooting my son's S&W 460 and just held it one-handed with my arm extended, and WOW did that hurt my elbow (not shooting it, just holding it).

Hitch, whoever started that rumor will have to pry them from my cold, dead tendonitis elbow.....
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have has tennis elbow on a few occasions and many many other injuries. It sounds like you have been doing everything I would have suggested up to this point other than seeing a different doctor for yet another opinion on a course of action to not only correct the problem but to also build up the strength in that area and modify your routine to prevent occurrences of the injury.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

It is really tough to get to heal and quite painful. I had problems with it for over a year. A doctor can help you but you just have to stop re-injuring it. That means stop the activity and let it heal. That is the only thing that worked for me.

Senior Moderator
    Glucosamine and Arthrotech seem to work well for me.

I have a problem with my left elbow. Is suspect it comes from pitching during highschool and being the left lead in boxing and martial arts. It get sore enough that it dosent want to straighten out without pain.

The Glucosamine lubes it and the Arthrotech makes to pain disappear.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I pop Excedrin like candy, that works for me. Then again I've got no cartilage in any of my joints.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

About the only thing I can do for mine is pop Ibuprofen like candy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links