Funny question my 8 year old asked....

This is a discussion on Funny question my 8 year old asked.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I watch "Cops" on a consistant basis. My eight year old asked "Is this real and happening right now?". I reply not now but it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny question my 8 year old asked....

I watch "Cops" on a consistant basis. My eight year old asked "Is this real and happening right now?". I reply not now but it did happen and they recorded it. Now comes the best question. "Have you ever been chased by the Police?". My answer was "yes" & "no". I explained to him when I was 16 I was clocked going 105 in a 55 on I-240 in OKC. I was trying to beat curfew. And that the LEO had been chasing me for 5 miles. He didn't have his lights on, It just took him 5 miles to catch up. So how they got me was I was going East, the first LEO was going over a bridge, saw me weaving in and out of traffic and decided to clock me. By the time he made it in the on ramp I was probably 2 miles away. He used a radio to get another LEO to come West. When I saw the headlights break the shoulder I knew I was caught. Then every LEO there lights me up. Oh, did I mention the helicopter. I was lucky I didn't get arrested, They did make me call my parents to come get me and wrote me a huge ticket. Can you believe I got off with driving school and 1 year probation with court costs. I told him if he did the same he wouldn't be so lucky. I'm not going to lie to the kid. 22 tickets in 4 years not proud but has to be a record.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Kids look at you and never realized you were just a rabble rouser when we you young. (I am assuming that you are now a fine outstanding model of integrity. )

I always told my kid that if I ever got a call from the police (at 2 am) to come pick you up, you can just spend the night in jail. I never did get that call.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

My parents told me the same thing. I never had to call them to get me out of jail, just to get me from the side of the road.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Yup, deal was call us for a ride - no questions asked. Busted by them or cops for DUI - dead meat.

good times

Easter Sunday 2004 1 hour until the family dinner had to call my mother for a ride and then explain what my truck was doing at the bottom of the pond. My mother did not seem to think it was as funny take your pick. Went back the next day pulled it out. pulled the plugs dryed it out changed and flushed all the fluids and drove it another year until the body finally rusted off and sold the motor to another kid for his truck.

Well...don't take this the wrong way, but I would have never told my 8 year old child this. I wait till 21 to share the interesting stuff.

He did ask the question, and honestly is good. I would have stated, "Yes, and I was in the wrong." When there was a request for more information, I would state, "Ask when your 21, focus on being a good man, then if I think your mature enough, I'll tell you."

Something like that was told to me.

I will share idiotic moment as a driver. Detroit, MI, driving home from college, late (no traffic). 80+ in a 65. Car comes up on me fast. For some stupid reason I speed up. Now I'm racing this car for a minute, 110+. Then I say to myself, you get a ticket for this, they could just take your license. I slow down. Car passes. Maybe a second later, at least 4 different police cars in my mirror. I pull over, preparing for the worst. 4 police cars speed by. Nothing happens to me. I'm stunned, on the side of the road a good 10 seconds. I exit, and go eat at a bar, because I don't know what might happen to me if I keep going. I'm wondering, am I evading the police? TV is on. There was a bank robbery, suspect caught. News chopper has film. Almost the moment I stop speeding, the footage starts, followed by a pan out showing where the police were and my car on the side of the road.

As a side note, I received a ticket for going 27 in a 25 a month or so later. I did not deserve it (I speed up and swerved to miss a racoon), but I did not fight it. First time I bought into karma, and figured I deserved it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I always told my kid that if I ever got a call from the police (at 2 am) to come pick you up, you can just spend the night in jail. I never did get that call.
    My dad DID it to my older brother.

2 a.m. phone call.

Cops: Do you have a son, Larry -------?
    Dad: Yep.
    Cops: We have him in jail.
    Dad: Keep him.
    Click.

Picked him up the next morning.
    He joined the Nat'l Guard 2 weeks later, at age 16 (lied about his age), if I remember the story correctly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Back in high school my best friends dad worked for the local LEOs radio shop. Had a big huge scanner running police/fire/ems 24/7. SOMEHOW he had all our license plate numbers/DL numbers, etc. He knew before we did if we were going to be in trouble. He made us all a deal. We could call HIM instead of our parents...once. Depending on what we were busted for he MIGHT get us out.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I don't know... maybe I'm hanging with the wrong kind of crowd here at DC. I mean, when I was growing up I was a perfect little angel...

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I speed up and swerved to miss a racoon
    I'd speed up but stay in my lane

I actually got chased a bit, but I didn't know it, as I was clocked doing 115 going home from Tulsa to Dallas. I blew right through Stringtown, OK (never saw it coming or going).

That stupid ticket delayed my entry in to the Army by 6 months.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    When I was a Youth Pastor I had a whole series of messages on stupid things I've done. My dad used to try to tell us what an angel he was and we never quite believed him.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    My dad DID it to my older brother.

2 a.m. phone call.

Cops: Do you have a son, Larry -------?
    Dad: Yep.
    Cops: We have him in jail.
    Dad: Keep him.
    Click.
    sounds like what my did would do to me if i ever called from jail

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Lets see only been pulled over once in 10 years driving. Never been arrested, only time I deal with LEOs is because of my dad, or I needed them after the fact. Then again I never did want to end up at jail....and have my dad find out from his co-workers. "Hey you son just got brought into booking, you want a break to deal with it?" That was quite the deterrent as a kid.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanis, 27 in a 25? Karma or not, that's just the droppings of a common barn yard fowl frequently barbequed in the summer! That cop must have really been in a bad mood, or just a *****!

not chased but stupid. Was driving a guys car on a county road, was 14, no dl. Pulled into a field to change drivers and the SHP saw us and of course came over and wrote my friend a ticket. Worse end of that deal was having to tell my parents that their "perfect daughter" wasn't so perfect lol.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links