America's Newest Millionaire........

This is a discussion on America's Newest Millionaire........ within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a link to a SCOTUS decision regarding unconstitutional searches, since we have had a couple of threads along these lines in the past ...

Thread: America's Newest Millionaire........

America's Newest Millionaire........

Here is a link to a SCOTUS decision regarding unconstitutional searches, since we have had a couple of threads along these lines in the past few days......

Here's the link:

Supreme Court Rules School's Strip Search of Girl Was Illegal

Enjoy!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if she likes new corvettes, and mountian log homes in TN?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just read that on the WSJ, good for her. College is soon to be paid in full and then some.

Edit: I forgot to mention my disgust for the whole situation over IBUPROFIN. Even if she was hiding it in her drawers, it is IBUPROFIN. It doesn't do crap, if you take too much it will make you sick not high.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

yeah well I have some choice words for SCOTUS on this one. They may have done something good, but not much or anywhere near what should have been done.

A minor was strip searched for ...ANYTHING AT ALL! How can school officials not be sued civilly for assault, sexual molestation of a minor, etc... let alone not get jail time?

How can you say that something is "illegal" but that the perpetrators can not be punished? This isn't just about the slipperly slope argument, which is a fish in the barrel of it's own...

What about this "subjective expectation of privacy" compliments of Justice Thomas? Since when is individual privacy a subjective right outside of those who have already forfeited their rights(ie tried and convicted in a court of law)?

By that reasoning all they have to do is have a campaign of changing the subjective expectations of the student body and they can do whatever they want. If she had thought stripping was not frightening, or embarrassing then it would have been OK?

Not only that, given that the girl was legally not an adult, her expectations should not have entered into the picture at all. For the same reason statutory rape is statutory rape. A minor can not consent because they are treated as having diminished capacity by reason of not being fully formed and/or informed.

In conclusion, all I can really say is that they should be darn glad it wasn't my kid...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My whole problem with that story when I had first heard of it about a year ago was that the parents were never notified until after the search had taken place.

I know first and foremost nobody, and I mean nobody touches my minor age child until I have been contacted, period. I have expressed this wish in writing when I enrolled our kids in the elementary school they now attend as a way to let them know neither me or my wife would tolerate that kind of conduct regarding our kids.

I would have no problem at all with me or my wife or both of us leaving work or home to go to the school (it is 2 minutes from my front door) to get to the bottom of any problem they may have with our kids, but they are not the police, and their "need to know" ends right there. If they require anything else, they can contact the police and get a search warrant and follow due process just like anyone else.

It just amazes me the kind of nonsense going on nowadays with all of these invasions of privacy that would never have been tolerated 30 years ago. But then again, since all those ex-hippies got in charge of things (and became "The Man"), I guess its OK now right?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

This made my day. I was disgusted when I first learned of this incident. I'm glad the family didn'y just tolerate the incident like many american families would have due to the perceived authority of principal, nurse or school board.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

I know first and foremost nobody, and I mean nobody touches my minor age child until I have been contacted, period. I have expressed this wish in writing when I enrolled our kids in the elementary school they now attend as a way to let them know neither me or my wife would tolerate that kind of conduct regarding our kids.
    Dead right, EDR... absolutely outrageous that a school would strip search a child, period.

I have a very clear memory from the 7th grade... that year, the local school board brought back corporal punishment. My father specifically told me that no teacher was to EVER lay hands on me. If I screwed up, I'd get my punishment at home. He gave me express permission to run, fight, punch, kick, or do whatever it takes to get away.

They sent a note home with the kids to explain the policy... parents were supposed to read it and sign it. My Dad wrote on it, "Under no circumstances will you touch my child. Corporal punishment is barbaric and not even allowed in prisons."

That attitude didn't stop Dad from lighting my rump up on occasion... but that is the purview of a parent, not a teacher...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

What the heck were those adults thinking ? One would hope that someone there would have realized that they were about to do something seriously wrong. Talk about "drunk with authority". Now the school system will have to pay this girl a fortune, meanwhile they probably need books, computers,school repairs,etc , the only thing that will suffer will be the kids education. IMO, the responsible adults should be liable as well as the school system,at least to cushion the blow that the SS will take.

FWIW, I agree with the ruling. Absolutely NO ONE would ever touch any child of mine with impunity.

However, the ruling specifically says that the school district is not liable because the law was unclear at the time. So, no "millionaire."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    IMO, everyone that was part of the decision and helped to sexually assault a minor should spend time behind bars. And to say that this child wasn't sexually assaulted is, well I can't say because I don't have the proper words that would keep me from getting banned. I get a bit angry when I think about this case. I have 2 daughters and the oldest is 14. Just the thought of someone doing the same to them, well it wouldn't end well for any of us.

Not all 14 year olds are thugs. And ibuprofen? I buy mine over the counter at Costco and take 4-5 at a time for some broken ribs. I told my doctor and he said perfect, now I don't have to write a prescription for those. Of course, he did give me a bunch of Vicodin to take with them. So if a kid brings 4 advil to school, is that illegal? It's really the same thing. Laws are laws, but what happened to common sense?

PointNClick, I remember corporal punishment at school. My parents didn't allow it on us, they took care of us themselves. I remember being in the office dropping off some list for my teacher when the father of the kid that the principal broke the paddle on came in. He had him up against the wall when the secretary rushed me out of there. Ah the memories.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

My daughter was once suspended from Jr High because she had a Midol tablet in her backpack. She wasn't strip searched, but they did search the back pack. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth(66) now, so my memory fails me as to the exact details of the search thing.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Now from the eay I read that decision the Principal was not to be held personally liable...I don't remember any thing about the school district.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

As a retired teacher with 32 years experience all I can say is "what in hell were they thinking?" I realize that many school districts have taken a zero tolerance attitude toward drugs and alcohol but at some point some common sense needs to take over and just say, we can only go so far when investigating. Their actions toward this girl were abusive and they need to pay the consequences.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Let me say I do not think this would be legal, or the wise decision.
    If my sisters had been strip searched by the school when they were minors over a over the counter drug, there would be no court case to see if it was legal, my father would have killed them.
    I don't care if have a zero tolerance policy, a strip search is a serious legal matter, and the only ones with authority in my book to do it is LE. I find out after the fact that my son or daughter is strip searched by a school employee and not a LEO, I can not say my reaction would be different then my fathers.
    I don't know that this isn't some perv.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links