Once again, I'm laid up

This is a discussion on Once again, I'm laid up within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Pure Kustom Did you hear a pop? I was facing north and my knee went east. It took over a year to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Once again, I'm laid up

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Did you hear a pop? I was facing north and my knee went east. It took over a year to heal on its own, well heal enough to be able to walk without favoring it.

Hope your recovery is faster!
    Yes, I heard it pop and then I heard my back slap against the floor. I got mad immediately and tossed my sparring gloves and headgear across the room.

I'm just glad I did this while I still have private insurance. But that is a topic for the other site
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If you really tore your MCL (that's medial collateral ligament, not the medial meniscus) and you're only out 2 weeks, then the tear isn't too bad. And I hope that's what the MRI shows, and not something more serious. I tore the medial meniscus at age 35, just getting on an airplane. I had to have arthroscopy and I was out several weeks. I wish you the best, and hope that this is minor, and you'll be kicking butt again soon. Just remember, you're supposed to be hurting your opponent, not yourself!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yeowch!

:(

Get well soon.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I'm of a similar mindset...too old? Pah! I have managed to dislocate a rib and mess up my ACL & LCL in Jiu Jitsu. Friends warn me not to go back...quit? ME? I don't think so. Even though I haven't been to class in a few months while I rehab, I still consider myself to be in training....I'm just focusing on perparing my body rather than working on technique at the moment. Keep focused, and good luck with the healing.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Not an update to the healing, but more of a confession. I stood most of the day yesterday as a judge in a kids TKD tourney. I sat down in between matches, when there was time.

BTW, my kids kicked A, I mean they did very well.

My oldest placed 1st in forms, 2nd in point sparring and 1st in continuous sparring and tied for 2nd place overall tourney champion and earned himself a new gi. The other 2 who competed both got 1 medal for an event. Even though they didn't win the other matches, they left it all in the ring and that is all I ever ask of them; to give their all.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Good on you for stepping up to ref the kids... you're still in the game, even if you can't train or compete...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Paco your going to make yourself older than you are if you keep getting injured. I finally had to give up my full contact taekwondo. Ribs and other injuries were taking longer and longer to heal.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Paco your going to make yourself older than you are if you keep getting injured.
    What sucks is some days I wake up and feel like Bruce Willis' character in "The Last Boyscout" looked in many scenes. Nothing a cold shower and hot coffee can't get jump started though.

-Paco

Well, I just got my MRI results. I have a large effusion in my knee, I also have a medial meniscus tear and degenerative disease.

Now I am no Doctor, but that just doesn't sound very fun to have all 3 of those things when you are a person how hates sitting still.

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the MRI results. On the plus side, there's always shuffleboard.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Sorry to hear about the MRI results. On the plus side, there's always shuffleboard.
    Only if I can get in to full contact shuffle board.

-Paco

I think that it's great that you and your kids are doing it together. Get yourself fixed up and get back to it, you'll be alright, just some pain,suffering and down time in between. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links