The The Russians and the Chinese attack Sept 24, 2010

This is a discussion on The The Russians and the Chinese attack Sept 24, 2010 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Wolverines are back: 'Red Dawn' remake announces new cast Looks like the Wolverines are ready to defend the ole red, white and blue again. ...

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

The Wolverines are back: 'Red Dawn' remake announces new cast

Looks like the Wolverines are ready to defend the ole red, white and blue again. The studio behind the remake of 1984's Red Dawn have announced three casting decisions for the new film.

Chris Hemsworth (Home and Away) will take over the lead role of "Jed Eckert" (Patrick Swayze's old role) as the older brother and leader of the teenaged insurgents. Josh Peck (The Wackness, Drillbit Taylor) wil play "Matt Eckert" (Charlie Sheen's role), the younger brother. Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights) will play "Toni" (Jennifer Grey).

Entertainment Weekly has a few scoops on differences between the remake and the original flick. This time around, the town is invaded by Russians and Chinese soldiers (instead of Cubans). And Toni will have the hots for Jed, who's a Marine back home on temporary leave this time around. (I never did really know what Swayze's character was up to as the first movie begins. Those Commies were shooting up teachers before we could work throught the details.)

I like the casting decisions so far. Like the original movie, all the actors are flying below the radar right now in Hollywood. Will their careers skyrocket after the new Red Dawn? We'll find out after Sept. 24, 2010, the planned release date.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I heard Val Kilmer is in. He'll play Jed and Matt's dad. Don't know if it's been confirmed or not though.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    NO! They'll screw it up. Don't do it!
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Red face

ughh...I don't remember liking that movie as a kid. I don't get how the Cubans and Russians or whoever invaded small town USA and our Army didn't see anything? They just took over some cowtown so they can ......rule the USA?

So, now in this day and age, does this movie have the cast jumping on Twitter and Youtube showing the "invasion"?
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    It was nookular, remember...? Jed asks, "Who is on our side?"

And Tanner (Powers Boothe) sez, "600 million screaming Chinamen..."

And Darrel sez, "Aren't there about a billion screaming Chinamen...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Ah, but they didn't invade just to rule America, they had the worst grain harvests in their nations history, and were starving.

Oh, and the reason why they weren't detected by the army in the beginning is because they disguised the indentification of their planes to appear as passenger airliners on radar. They nuked certain areas of the US and China to help reduce the threat of armed response as well, but did not want to nuke the midwest due to the fact they needed the grain.

BTW, I just watched the original last week, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. Good action flick I always thought. But I'll hold judgement on the remake until I hear more about it.

Opening prologue: Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.
    Last edited by Katana; June 27th, 2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Added info
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Grrrr, a marine back at home eh? That was one of the things I liked about the original. They had no training, nobody to tell them how to do it. They just gathered up their courage and chose to fight back!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I enjoyed the original movie. Makes you think "What would I do". I look forward to the new movie to see what they will do with it.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

I am trying to remember the last time a writer in Hollywood had an original thought......

ETA: I think it was the guy that figured out they could just rehash the same old stuff and charge people twice as much as the original to see it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Maybe it'll make some people think about what is going on in the Country right now...

But I doubt it...

I can imagine a modern remake getting massive allegations of "racism" in our modern PC culture.

At any rate, not sure how they'll remake it. A lot of 80s movies are really corny compared to today's movies.

*Yawn*

Another remake of an old movie from the generation that has yet to come up with an idea of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    NO! They'll screw it up. Don't do it!
    They always do. I saw the Beverly Hillbillies remake movie years ago and it was awfull. Today's actors all look like wet behind the ears kids trying to play men. They just don't pull it off. They totally screwed up the new Star Trek movie with the girly men used to play Kirk and the rest. And the Lost In Space movie a few years ago. They made the Robinson family disfunctional and they weren't like that in the series. I don't know why writers today think that every family has to be disfunctional instead of portraying a decent family. It's not like that at all. It would have been a better movie without all of that junk.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Links