Luxury yachts offer pirate hunting cruises - Page 2

Luxury yachts offer pirate hunting cruises

This is a discussion on Luxury yachts offer pirate hunting cruises within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too bad the Somali pirates will not likely see this article. I might give pause to their lust for criminal mischief....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luxury yachts offer pirate hunting cruises

Too bad the Somali pirates will not likely see this article. I might give pause to their lust for criminal mischief.

Paying to engage in vigilante murder, sounds like. Unless, of course, they have strict rules of engagement to not fire unless attacked. Still, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing that can be condoned. Send a few dozen cruisers and wipe 'em all out the instant they engage anyone, sure; but, don't go selling tickets to hunters in order to hunt down any black face in a boat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

don't go selling tickets to hunters in order to hunt down any black face in a boat.
    Until now nobody said a thing about anyone's race, I assume you would have no problem if they were white?????

Black, white, yellow, brown or pink with purple poka-dots doesn't matter they are pirates holding the world for ransom and need to be stopped. If a bunch of rich dudeds want to pay to do it fine by me. As far as being fun and games till the pirates get the upper hand; well isn't that why guys hunt elephants and cape buffalo, the danger??
    Bunch of rich guys picking them off in their boats or a government droppin a tac nuc on 'em, fine by me either way.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Until now nobody said a thing about anyone's race, I assume you would have no problem if they were white?????
    Assumptions often say more about those with them. In this case, I'd have to assume that, knowing what I actually meant.

I have a problem with crime for hire, not "color." Or, you could say I have a problem with crime committed under the color of authority.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Black, white, yellow, brown or pink with purple poka-dots doesn't matter ...
    That's right.

... they are pirates holding the world for ransom and need to be stopped.
    That's right, as well. In reality, the few pirates in that area are holding the ships, there, for ransom; not the whole world. Anyway ...

So. The decision is that criminals should die. Fine. I have no problems at all, with that, particularly pirates. The question remains: how are you gonna segregate them, and ensure that the actual criminals are the ones being eliminated, if you're going to have uncontrolled gunning down of everyone who pleasure-boaters deem "worthy"?

You're apparently in the military, serving currently in the Middle East. A military or police response is one with some firm guidance and regulations in place, as to behavior and sense of justice, sense of purpose of mission. That's very, very different from unguided, unregulated, unmonitored gangs of people let loose to gun down folks who they deem have earned it. Big difference, IMO.

Pleasure-boat judgment as a form of justice simply doesn't sit well, at least with me. I'm all for the criminal portion of that population being eliminated, same as here in my own country. But, how many innocents are to die without any controls at all, in order to access the criminals ... since, as is obvious, not every face that'll be in crosshairs (merely because they're in the area) will be that of a criminal? There's the rub, that's all I'm saying.

To open those floodgates essentially returns to the no-holds-barred-including-outright-murder days of the westward expansion of the U.S. IMO, there's something fundamentally wrong with that.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 28th, 2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar; clarification; de-tuning of rhetoric ... apologies
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree, ccw9mm. Target ID is pretty important.

The question remains: how are you gonna segregate them, and ensure that the actual criminals are the ones being eliminated, if you're going to have uncontrolled gunning down of everyone who pleasure-boaters deem "worthy"?
    That's pretty damned easy, you cruise in the normal sea lanes, when a bunch of guys in a skiff attack you; you fight back. Kinda like trolling, using yourself for the bait. Only the ones that attack you have anything to worry about.

You're apparently in the military, serving currently in the Middle East
    Former Jarhead, currently on a civilian contract. And yes if this were true I'd consider it for a mid contract vacation cruise.

I don't expect to see any DC eye patches for sale anytime soon me heartys
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I can go both ways on this one. On the one hand, it's sort of a neat idea to make/spend money and rid the world of criminal scum at the same time.

On the other hand, it falls a little short of the smell test - - you're paying/taking money for the chance to kill people. Pretty repulsive, ethically/morally.

I dunno. The candid amorality of it appeals to me at some level -- but I'm not proud of it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links