Criminals are or are not stupid?

This is a discussion on Criminals are or are not stupid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Smart is not the same as wise. And here's the thing: one is not a "criminal" unless and until one has been convicted of a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Criminals are or are not stupid?

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Smart is not the same as wise.

And here's the thing: one is not a "criminal" unless and until one has been convicted of a crime, implying 1) a finding of guilt; and 2) pronouncement of sentence in open court. People who are smart don't get caught. Ergo, all criminals are stupid.

Original sin is self-absorbtion: "eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" - I like it, I'm gonna do it; I don' like it, I ain't gonna do it. Now, I've got a bit more experience with criminals than most folks (having defended them in court for the last 20 years), and it's my opinion that there's no difference between them, morally, and any other self-aborbed, arrogant, jerk. Anyone who is so lacking in love for others, and so full of love for himself, that he is willing to harm others for transitory gratification is a fool, and will receive the consequences of his actions (law of Karma). That includes Citicorp/ "Citibank South Dakota, N.A.", and MBNA/ "FIA Card Services, N.A." and their employees, whom I regard as worse than anyone I've ever defended.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

2. Remove Ads

I know a lot of people who are allegedly "smart" but who became victims quite easily. And I know a lot of criminals who may not be the sharpest pencil in the pack, but have well-developed predatory senses and skills. Street savvy is a type of "smart," but its application differentiates the good guy from the bad guy. I know some guys who may not be smart, are nice guys, good guys in the strict Biblical sense, but you would not want to mess with them. That's where some dumb bad guys can sometimes make an error in judgment, revealing their "dumbness" or lack of street savvy [or survival skills]...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

The majority of the truly threatening brand of criminals are not stupid - instead, they choose to apply the intelligence that they do have to a bad activity. Underestimating an enemy threatening to kill you is a sure way to lose - which in this case means either you or your family dying.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have to agree that most of our day to day criminals are stupid. That said, they are probably smarter and more honest than what we presently have in Washington. Whats in Washington proves a little about the intelligence of the American citizens.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    For anyone that hasn't already seen this................

1990 Darwin Award: Wrong Time, Wrong Place

About as dumb as it gets!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Train for the motivated sociopath and you will not be surprised unpleasantly.

Training for a "dumb" criminal is in invitation to disaster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links