Does anyone else?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone else like to browse old archives of other gun forums? I do.. in case I missed something. Found this gem this afternoon. About ...

Thread: Does anyone else?

Does anyone else?

Does anyone else like to browse old archives of other
    gun forums? I do.. in case I missed something.

Found this gem this afternoon. About the stopping
    power of the .45

Ah, the age old stopping power question of this caliber vs. that caliber. Bigger bullet going slowly, or smaller bullet still going slowly, but faster than the bigger slower bullet? Is a .45 really "all that good?"

I had to know the ultimate truth in this matter, or I just knew my life would be in complete turmoil until I did. Answer...? I would conduct my own scientific backyard ballistic experiment. Here's how it went...

Weapon: Sig 220 .45

Ammo: Federal 230 grain Hydra-shok

Ballistic media: One GI joe action figure with standard issue O.D. Jacket.

One Ken (as in Barbie) smooth boy "who knows what kind of" action figure with pink Izod shirt and a nice yellow turtle neck ensemble.

As you might imagine, they both looked good enough to shoot, although I had to make believe Joe was an informant to the Reno Injustice Department crime ring in order to pull the trigger. He just looked so damn proud.

To make this test as realistic as possible, I pryed off there heads with a screwdriver and filled them both up with Jello brand Gelatin.

Flavor: Strawberry/Banana of course.

I thought that Joe's jacket would most closely represent denim covered ballistic gelatin, while Ken's would be that of bare. (The quality of Ken's clothes was just plain embarassing).

The test: Ken got his first. 230 Grain Hydra-shok from seven yards dead center mass. I raked up what I could find of him and bagged him up. Next came Joe. Joe's plastic was much tougher, and that little jacket looked pretty darn thick, but I let him have it with the same medicine as Ken. As it turns out, Joe wasn't so tough after all.

I proceded to my make shift laboratory (toolshed) with the remains of my ballistic jello targets for analysis.

The result: Ken was pretty messed up, although I really couldn't find much of him to analyze. In fact, all I could find of poor Joe was part of his head and one of his little black Army boots.

It's safe to say though, (and in the most scientific way that I can) that the .45 ACP 230 Grain Hydra-shok is very effective against jello filled plastic action figures at close range. I couldn't determine if the denim really had much effect on the outcome of this test, but if I had to guess, I would say it didn't do much.

Do I sleep better knowing first hand the amazing "one shot" stopping power of the .45 ACP on plastic encapsulated gelatin...?

Absolutely!

Regards in fun,
    SM

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Wow I feel so much safer now knowing if I am ever attacked by plastic action figures I can stop them decisively
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wow I feel so much safer now knowing if I am ever attacked by plastic action figures I can stop them decisively
    so do i... So do i.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    *sobbing*

R.I.P. Jell-o Joe.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    services will be held this saturday in the toy isle at Walmart. Also, a memorial fund has been set up for barbie at the Silicone Valley savings and loan.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Links