Propane refrigerators for SHTF???

This is a discussion on Propane refrigerators for SHTF??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For SHTF scenarios, I can see how to maintain water, food, etc. But for a power outage that could last a week or two, refrigeration ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane refrigerators for SHTF???

Senior Moderator

For SHTF scenarios, I can see how to maintain water, food, etc. But for a power outage that could last a week or two, refrigeration and freezers can be a problem. If we have a lot in our refrigerators/freezers we're gonna lose it unless we can maintain their operation.

In the cooler months "outdoor" refrigeration might be an answer, but in warmer months...

One solution would be a generator to keep the electrical refrigerators and freezers "alive" but you've got to buy, transport, and store gasoline. You may even need to rotate gasoline supplies to keep it fresh. If you were to run low on gasoline, more might not be obtainable.

But if you have a large propane tank, it can be filled and stored almost indefinitely outside. You don't need to transport or rotate it. It can also burn lights and provide heat. Unfortunately, the propane refrigerators/freezers I've seen cost a bunch!

A gasoline generator would seem to be the less expensive way out except I'm not sure how much gasoline one would want to store.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

los
    I don't know if this story will have any impact on your decision, but back in 1970, we were hit hard by Hurricane Celia. It totally devastated our city. Many, many months went by till electrical power was restored. My family was one of the very few that had a gas fridge/freezer combo unit. That little unit kept everything cold and maintained ice extremely well.

Needless to say, we were one of the few lucky families in the area. I remember Ice bags were being sold for 10 bucks a bag. That was a lot of money back then for a small bag of ice. Hell,...it's a lot of money now!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Assistant Administrator
    Probably a good thing to have - also if humidity not excessive even a swamp-cooler principle deal would serve to keep things cool, tho obviously no good for frozen stuff.

Probably worth looking into re what is on the market - got me thinkin!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    If I may make a suggestion, old 1970' campers often go very cheap. A lot of them even have their own onan generators. I have a buddy who bought one with a leaky roof just for the 3 way (110vac 12vdc, propane)fridge, and the generator. The generator is now semi permanently set up in his outbuilding, with electrical cable and the remote start wires run over to the house. All he has to do if the power goes out is to flip off the mains, and turn on an extra set of breakers to back feed the whole panel. The best part of it is, he then managed to sell the rest of it to a guy who wanted the running big block engine for his drag car, and made part of his money back.

That is so weird but I have been thinking about this same thing the past couple of weeks.

I have a propane tank (600 gallons) I am on propane of course with my house and I have a well too. I live on 5 acres and was thinking of adding a second 600-800 gallon tank for a back up in a SHTF thing and put the tank below ground with just the valve top exposed above ground to fill and maintain it. I could almost completey hide it this way with creative landscape and rocks.

I am not following you as to how you wouldn't need electricity though. Are there units that only use propane to run?

I was thinking of also getting a back up power supply, a water cooled generator run by propane this year, one that sit's on a pad up next to the house large enough to run the power and my house would be self sufficient and run like normal doing this.

I have not perfected it by any means but it is an idea I am working on and could be done with a little work and money. Depending on the size of generator I would need to run the house it would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000 to $8,000 with the generator being the biggest cost.

The propane tank I could get from my supplier I already have, rent a mini back hoe, dig the hole needed for the tank and lay it in. I can then just add this to my current bill as an added tank, fill it once and have it checked as I do my other one when they fill it. I think they charge me like $35.00 per year for tank rental instead of buying it out right or I can lease to own the tank in the same manner.

This is the first part of my SHTF bug out plan, but I am bugging out at my own place. I will get further into it as I go but right now I am in the idea and planning stage.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Are there units that only use propane to run?
    Pretty sure there are Grant - in fact way back after the war when I was a young varmint, I recall our refrigerator then was for some years gas powered.

It's the old familiar deal - put energy in as heat to make the cool!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Pretty sure there are Grant - in fact way back after the war when I was a young varmint, I recall our refrigerator then was for some years gas powered.

It's the old familiar deal - put energy in as heat to make the cool!!
    That's interesting, I am going to have to look into that then to see what would work.

I think my idea is a bit more expensive but I wouldn't have to then house other appliances that I never use unless something goes down and I would still be able to run my house like nothing ever happened, if it is still standing that is.

This is cool that we can talk it out and find what might be the best solution for something like this.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Let us know about the plans as they develop! It sounds workable so far - still figuring out how to power an Onan with propane - do they make such an animal?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Let us know about the plans as they develop! It sounds workable so far - still figuring out how to power an Onan with propane - do they make such an animal?
    Geez, I don't want to sound stupid but I guess a guy can't know everything, but what in the H.E double hocky sticks is a Onan?

Maybe I would know or remember if I actually heard the word/name but it's not ringing a bell.

Ti.

VIP Member
    Here's a link to the Lehman's Non-Electric Catalog webpage for propane fridge's:

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...mType=CATEGORY

Lehman's is an Amish supply house, and their catalog is full of old-fashioned appliances and utensils...it's a hoot to go through it
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Ti, Onan is a brand name for an electrical generator.

Also, my brother had an old Servel propane refrigerator at his electric-free cabin...it worked like a charm! I believe that they use heated ammonia for a refrigerant.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Cool Team, thanks for the info. That stuff is expensive! WOW.

I don't feel so bad now knowing that it is a brand of generator.

I like my idea better so far, I think I would get way more use out of it than just waiting for a SHTF and being able to just keep food cold or frozen and just use the appliances I already have.

Those would work great for a bug out shelter though.

I would be able to opperate as normal for a very long time and won't have to give up anything that I would need or want to use.

I don't feel so bad now knowing that it is a brand of generator.

Onan is a brand of generator - big in the RV industry. Here's a link:

http://www.onan.com/onan/;jsessionid...equestid=21267

I know a lot of RV generators run on gasoline or diesel that's on board, but they could well have propane models? I really have no clue...

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    This is a great thread.....especially when I hear that this year's hurricane season is expected to be a bad one....again.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I know for sure there are propane generators, I have been looking at the Guardian line up from Northern Tool.

The liquid cooled might be over kill unless they have one comperable to this one. But here is what I am looking at. I actually might be able to do it for just a little over $4,000.00 with an air cooled model.

Anybody have experance with the differance between to two? I have no doubt the LC models are much better for long term use but how much better is the question I guess and are they worth the extra money.

Air cooled LP,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3151_200323151

Water cooled LP, bit larger and more Kw's not sure I would need one this size or not.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6224_200016224

Ti.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links