Hitler's stealth fighter

This is a discussion on Hitler's stealth fighter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looks like they were decades ahead of their time. Hitler's stealth fighter Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler Meet the "wonder weapon" ...

Thread: Hitler's stealth fighter

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Hitler's stealth fighter

Looks like they were decades ahead of their time.

Hitler's stealth fighter

Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler

Meet the "wonder weapon" that could have won the war for Hitler.

Called the Horten 229, the radical "flying wing" fighter-bomber looked and acted a lot like the U.S. Air Force's current B-2 right down to the "stealth" radar-evading characteristics.

Fortunately for the world, the Ho 229 wasn't put into mass production before Nazi Germany surrendered in May 1945.

But American researchers boxed up and shipped home the prototypes and partially-built planes that existed and now the same company that builds the B-2 has rebuilt one.

Northrop Grumman Corp. spent its own time and money using the original German blueprints to replicate the wood-and-steel-tube bomber, right down to its unique metallic glue and paint, at its facility in El Segundo, Calif.

Using radar of the same type and frequency used by British coastal defenses in World War II, the engineers found that an Ho 229, flying a few dozen feet above the English Channel, would indeed have been "invisible" to the Royal Air Force an advantage that arrived too late for the Nazis to exploit.

"This was the most advanced technology that the Germans had at the end of the war, and Northrop solved the question of how stealthy it was and its performance against Allied radar at the time," documentary filmmaker Mike Jorgenson told the Long Beach, Calif., Press-Telegram. "It's significantly better than anything flying operationally probably until the 1960s."

The National Geographic Channel will next air Jorgenson's documentary, "Hitler's Stealth Fighter," on Sunday, July 5.

Related video
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    The resemblance and design is stunningly close to the B2... makes me wonder if somebody looked over these plans in the 70's...

I'll be tuning in...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

WOW very interesting...I love this kind of stuff.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    "Using radar of the same type and frequency used by British coastal defenses in World War II, the engineers found that an Ho 229, flying a few dozen feet above the English Channel, would indeed have been "invisible" to the Royal Air Force"

Anything flying a few feet above the water would have evaded radar.

It is unlikely that this technology by itself would have made much difference. The real problem Germany had militarily was a multi-front war and very erratic
    leadership which often made it impossible for the Generals to do what needed doing.

These sort of stories pop up from time to time. They are interesting, but speculative at the very best.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Hitler's choice of doctors was the best thing to happen to the free world. Hitler was a real mess there by the end of the war because of all the weird drugs and treatments he was subjected to.

Imagine the damage he could have done had he been able to think straight?

come on "flying a few dozen feet above the English Channel" everything that does this is not visable on radar. the only radar that picks this up is the airplain mounted down looking radar.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "Using radar of the same type and frequency used by British coastal defenses in World War II, the engineers found that an Ho 229, flying a few dozen feet above the English Channel, would indeed have been "invisible" to the Royal Air Force"

Anything flying a few feet above the water would have evaded radar.

It is unlikely that this technology by itself would have made much difference. The real problem Germany had militarily was a multi-front war and very erratic
    leadership which often made it impossible for the Generals to do what needed doing.

These sort of stories pop up from time to time. They are interesting, but speculative at the very best.
    Germany's real problem was Hitler was a madman and an idiot to boot. Their best chance to win - or at least come out with a stalemate - in the war would have been if one of the assasination attempts had suceeded.

I also noticed the thing doesn't appear to have any vertical tail surfaces. I don't think it would have flown very far. The B-2 has to have fly-by-wire to compensate for this.

VIP Member

Yes a mad man

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Germany's real problem was Hitler was a madman and an idiot to boot. Their best chance to win - or at least come out with a stalemate - in the war would have been if one of the assasination attempts had suceeded.

I also noticed the thing doesn't appear to have any vertical tail surfaces. I don't think it would have flown very far. The B-2 has to have fly-by-wire to compensate for this.
    Yes, a madman and a population that suffered from temporary insanity as well. I certainly didn't intend to convey anything less.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Pretty incredible design, it certainly doesn't look like something out of WW II. In the DVD "How Hitler Lost the War" there is an entire section on advanced German technology, including jet and rocket fighters, V1 and V2 rockets and even intercontinental bombers and missiles.
    Let's not forget that one of Hitler's key scientists, Wehrner von Braun, is who got us on the Moon.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

man german engineering is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes, a madman and a population that suffered from temporary insanity as well. I certainly didn't intend to convey anything less.
    One of the best lines from Patton:

Soldiers on the road "Where ya goin', General?"

Patton: "I'm going to Berlin. I'm gonna personally shoot that paper-hanging son of a b___h!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post

More than you want to know about the flying wing. WAY before the 70's.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_wing

http://http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurf...ody_yb-49.html
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Interesting to think how things can change by a few of an individuals choices. If Hitler would have stuck to painting pictures and stayed off the drugs.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    man german engineering is great.
    Aye. From Submarines to airplanes. Pens to handguns. They are great at what they do.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Links