Air Force Basic Training?

This is a discussion on Air Force Basic Training? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went into the Air Force & Basic Training way back in 1973. It was 6 weeks then - followed by however many weeks for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Basic Training?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Air Force Basic Training?

I went into the Air Force & Basic Training way back in 1973. It was 6 weeks then - followed by however many weeks for your technical school - then off to your first duty station.

Back then we got yelled at - insulted - so on and so on - but got through it and the last couple weeks not as much yelling - came together as a team \ short term family.

Years later I went Army National Guard - went through their MP Academy - out now.

I'd like to know from someone who either has actually been through the Air Force Basic training in the recent few years how it is now.

Most of the young men I try to encourage to go into any of the branch's seem to be afraid of going to war - or if not that so much - of basic training.

Too much movie stuff or whatever I guess.

My youngest son has just about decided to go into the Air Force - but is having second thoughts - I think maybe due to his girlfriend telling him she knew someone who recently finished basic training (Army I think) and how they "Yell at you and stay on your butt 24/7".

Anyway - what's it like in the AF Basic now - from who has been there recently - or from someone who has a friend \ relative who has - not just hearsay.

Thanks in advance....
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can't really answer your question since I completed AF basic MANY years ago. But even back then the treatment was much better than the Army and Marine basic. Different missions have different requirements. I know we have several AF members stationed in NC that hopefully will see this post and be able to give you a more updated answer.

General rule of thumb has always been the AF and Navy give you better marketable skills for once you leave the service. Of course the Navy is harder if you have a family, wife and kids, due to sea duty. Marines and Army will be more physically demanding.

I went thru in 76
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I went through in 2001. It was 6 weeks then. Most of the time we marched, did PT and cleaned our "dorm". Week 5 was "warrior week" which consisted of live firing, living in tents, NBC training and the obstacle course. The TIs (Training Instructors) are always on your butt. They are trying to make you work as a team. Besides that, it wasn't much. Now, Basic training is 8 weeks long. They extended warrior week to 2 weeks and have added a little more firearms training but that's all I know.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Went through in 1966 (Amarillo) and I think it was 8 weeks. Biggest problem was the heat (I started on 5 July).Oh G-d, tomorrow is 43 years!!!!
    Physical part not a big deal and I'm not a jock at all.
    Just do what you are told and pay attention to the T.I.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I talked to some boot air force kids about a year ago - they got stress cards in boot camp. In other words, if they just couldn't take the yelling anymore or something like that, they could pull out their little stress card and everything would be ok. I also heard that they went on a "hump" that involved a day pack and a 3 mile nature walk with a barbeque at the end and a bus ride back. The main thing in probably any boot camp is to do what you're told, when you're told. Be in somewhat decent shape when you go, and make the most of it. Shouldn't be that big of a deal really....JMO

Austin

"Stress Card"?!?! God God, what has the military become?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I guess in Combat if your getting shot at you can wave your stress card at the enemy so they will stop firing in your direction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My daughter went in the Air Force in 2003. I compare that with what my dad said about WW2 basic training,people passing out,drill instructor smacked people in the head daily,drill instructor only knew obscene language and racial slurs. My brothers went in the army in 1967/1969,they told about the same story as my dad.So I guess todays Air Force basic is not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    LOL!! I need to ask my new Airmen about that. I've never heard about that.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Oh oh......He's raisin' his voice......

A real shame, eh?...certainly not like it used to be.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I went into the Air Force & Basic Training way back in 1973. It was 6 weeks then - followed by however many weeks for your technical school - then off to your first duty station.

Back then we got yelled at - insulted - so on and so on - but got through it and the last couple weeks not as much yelling - came together as a team \ short term family.

Years later I went Army National Guard - went through their MP Academy - out now.

I'd like to know from someone who either has actually been through the Air Force Basic training in the recent few years how it is now.

Most of the young men I try to encourage to go into any of the branch's seem to be afraid of going to war - or if not that so much - of basic training.

Too much movie stuff or whatever I guess.

My youngest son has just about decided to go into the Air Force - but is having second thoughts - I think maybe due to his girlfriend telling him she knew someone who recently finished basic training (Army I think) and how they "Yell at you and stay on your butt 24/7".

Anyway - what's it like in the AF Basic now - from who has been there recently - or from someone who has a friend \ relative who has - not just hearsay.

Thanks in advance....
    I have had several of our high school grads go AF in the last few years. All have enjoyed the experience.
    Do they climb your butt 24/7...you bet, and for 8.5 weeks. It's a taste of the real world, no mommy, no girl friend, no complaining (not out loud anyway). He'll survive, the 'real men' do, and they are better off for it.

Here is a site that might answer some of his questions.
    Surviving Air Force Basic Training
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1943 - 2009
    Well, everybody knows the Air Force isn't part of the real
    Armed Forces.

That's a JOKE, Zoomies!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Zoomie

No offense taken Capt. Crunch, we Do however love our obsene (sp?) amenities.
    Libertas Vel Mors

I've heard the stress card rumor for a few years now..heartbreaking if true. Let us know if anyone finds out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links