What do you prepare for?

This is a discussion on What do you prepare for? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, I went a little crazy with the polls a couple of weeks ago so I backed off, but had an idea last night for ...

View Poll Results: What do you prepare for?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Natural Disaster

19 73.08%
  • Terrorist Attack

9 34.62%
  • Domestic Violence Outbreak

6 23.08%
  • I would stay put unless absolutley have to leave

14 53.85%
  • Main plan is to evacuate.

6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you prepare for?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

What do you prepare for?

Okay, I went a little crazy with the polls a couple of weeks ago so I backed off, but had an idea last night for another one.

What is the scenario you think of most when sitting around home and you start thinking about what would I do if ......

I have a feeling that it will vary according to geographical location. Example, I live 50 minutes away from downtown Richmond, I tend to think more about natural disaster types of situations. Kinda like post Katrina type stuff and how would I preserve what supplies I have, and how best to defend my family.

I would tend to think that people that live in more populated areas, especially city type environments would think more along the lines of 911 type of scenarios and or outbreaks of riots like LA or more recently in France.

The other question is, are your plans more about getting out or defending your turf. Again, that will probably go along with apartment vs. rural home with land. What do you think.

What ever the situation, It seems to me that the (Red Dawn) type of scenario died along with the cold war, and we now tend to gravitate towards what I like to think of as (The Aftermath Affect) probably not an original name, but regardless of the cause of destruction, I think the most likely danger that would affect the most of us would be the chaos that comes after a devastating event, more so than the event itself.

911 was I think a unique type of tragedy, and it certainly could happen again, It just seems like the biggest threats are going to be smaller scale, and designed to cause turmoil in a wider area than the initial destruction.

The poll will allow multiplies, so please vote on what you plan for, and would you stay or go.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

We're out in the sticks, so I think it's much more likely that we'll see some kind of natural event (had a tornado go by last weekend, about 3 miles away). I try to have enough supplies to just stay at home in the event something happens.
    I used to live just outside Philadelphia - and I thought that if there was any problem, I'd leave. Kind of faulty thinking, because where would I have gone? Into a traffic jam?

We're out in the sticks, so I think it's much more likely that we'll see some kind of natural event. I try to have enough supplies to just stay at home in the event something happens
    Ditto here: Out in the country, on a lake. 10,000 folks 10 miles away, 6,000,000 within 90 miles (shiver.....).

Lived in Wichita, Kansas for a number of years, always thought that'd be a "Ground Zero" impact point if "Dr. Strangelove" pulled the trigger (it was a large SAC Base).

Here, I think 2-6 days is the most likely duration, from a natural disaster. Hmmm...Thread Idea?

VIP Member
    ....Wichita....I miss McConnell AFB!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    There is no feeling in the world to compare to a B52, a BIB or KC135 on approach, so low you feel like you can reach out and touch it! What a feeling!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    There is no feeling in the world to compare to a B52, a BIB or KC135 on approach, so low you feel like you can reach out and touch it! What a feeling!
    I was there as a AFROTC cadet when the 184th TFG/FLYING JAYHAWKS (KS ANG) still had their F4D's (I LOVE that plane). Years later as a captain, I almost got a job with the 184th BW as the officer-in-charge of one of the sections; but an opportunity opened up with the FAA that I jumped on instead.

Oops....sorry for the thread stealing!

I have a "go" bin and bags with stuff for my family and I to beat feet at the first sign of trouble. Given last year's constant stream of hurricanes....my "go" gear will be constantly maintained.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I live in a city surrounded by citys. I prepare for natural disaters but am ready for almost anything short term. Long term disasters in any form are a big problem for anybody I would think.

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - semi rural here - no major city very close - it'll be a ''stay put'' and hunker down deal.

Prepared up to a point - adequate - but still room for improvement.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Prepared up to a point - adequate - but still room for improvement.
    We were talking with my wife's dad last weekend. He knows our house and was asking where we were going to get in case of a tornado. Most of our house is underground so we have one spot that's pretty safe (in fact, my big gun safe is right there, too).
    Here's the room for improvement story: he said to get a hand saw and a wirecutter of some kind and put them in our little "bunker" so if the house collapsed, we could cut ourselves out. Duh.. I thought of a lot of things, but not those basic items.
    Still room for improvement is right in my case.

VIP Member
    Due to my job circumstance, I'd have to stay put and hope for the best...living in an urban area has the potential to get ugly

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I was born in the base hospital at McConnell!

It was a very long time ago
    Last edited by Team American; March 21st, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Sorry, but I still say nothing beats a C-5 coming in on approach. I used to live by Stewart. WOW. Those things would rattle your car while you were driving down the interstate.

But back to the topic. Around Katrina I started to give SHTF scenarios a good deal of thought and I came to the conclusion that as a military member it was my responsability to stay and help others as best I could. However, I have started to put together a bag just in case it gets so bad that we leave the area.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I'm on the Gulf Coast of Florida, so its the hurricane thing that has my attention.

My location is such that I'd not have to evacuate due to flooding or being stranded, so I'm not going anywhere. Well, except maybe to work. . .

I work in a hospital and I will NOT abandon our patients. I should be able to get to and from work with no problem, but I have been told in the past, "Your here and you cannot leave," during a hurricane.

Well, we had more than enough people on-hand to keep the place running and I had things to take care of at home. I politely explained that my shift was over, there were more than enough staff to take care of things here, I had things to take care of at home, and if they thought they had any real authority to "hold me," they'd better rally the troops, because I was going home.

Also told them I'd be back for my next shift. The powers that be re-thought their position, everything went smoothly after that.

Right now, I'm working on "my plan" to deal with prolonged power outages and lack of LEO assistance. The former is my main concern, I'm already able to deal with the latter. . .

My wife works at a sub-acute care facility, she's a nurse. But her place of work will have to evacuate and she may be sent home, she may have to put in some hours where ever her patients are transferred to. She is also "armed and dangerous," and pretty much able to take care of herself, if it comes down to it.

As for the other scenarios involving invasion, insurrection, or a general BG-field day. . . Bring it on!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Not being able to get to the super market for 2 weeks and prepared for dealing with Philadelphia.

I try to be prepared for nothing in particular,and everything in general!More than likely a severe winter storm is my most probable concern.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    Sorry, but I still say nothing beats a C-5 coming in on approach.
    Yea - they look like flying apartment buildings!:fahrzeug034:

We've also started plans for an outbreak of flu - a pandemic - same as other plans, but lots of soap and masks stockpiled too. Can't stock pile meds too much, and don't want to try, but a case or two of Cipro would be nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links