The Robotic Hummingbird

This is a discussion on The Robotic Hummingbird within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you're into aeronautics and flight at all you'll instantly realize just how amazing this is and where advanced technology could possibly take it. Video: ...

Thread: The Robotic Hummingbird

Administrator

Post The Robotic Hummingbird

If you're into aeronautics and flight at all you'll instantly realize just how amazing this is and where advanced technology could possibly take it.
    Video: Pentagon’s Robo-Hummingbird Flies Like the Real Thing | Danger Room | Wired.com

Military-backed researchers have built a tiny drone that looks and flies like a hummingbird, flapping its little robotic wings to stay in the air. So far, the mock bird, built for Pentagon mad-science division Darpa, has only stayed aloft for 20 seconds at a time. But that short flight was enough to show the potential of a whole new class of miniature spies, inspired by nature. Darpa just handed AeroVironment, makers of the winged “nano air vehicle,” another $2.1 million to build a hummingbot 2.0.

Ultimately, Darpa program manager Todd Hylton says in a statement, he’d like see “an approximately 10-gram aircraft that can hover for extended periods, can fly at forward speeds up to 10 meters per second, can withstand 2.5-meter-per-second wind gusts.” He also wants the nano air vehicle to operate inside buildings, and be controllable from up to a kilometer away.

AeroVironment, for its part, doesn’t just want its little drone to fly like a bird.
    The company wants the thing to look like one, too:

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Amazing... in 20 years, that will be the size of a housefly, and that is the future of surveillance, military and domestic...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Saw one of them in The Fifth Element. It appears that "some day" is right around the corner.

bosco

I'd think it would be easier to just put a tiny video camera on a real hummingbird and hook up some electrodes to its brain so you can control it. Probably cheaper, and much more realistic looking.... That is very cool though. Also cool that there are jobs like that out there - I bet they pay good too.

Austin

Outstanding, and a little scary.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Now 'Big Brother' could be the 'fly on the wall'...literally.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Amazing... in 20 years, that will be the size of a housefly, and that is the future of surveillance, military and domestic...
    I'm presently working on a bee keepers hat made out of tin foil and using copper wire mesh. Sort of a full body faraday cage. We have to stay ahead of them.

Michael

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Links