Thank God we live in the USA......Aunt from Cairo Egypt...

This is a discussion on Thank God we live in the USA......Aunt from Cairo Egypt... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Back in the 70's, my aunt went to Cairo to teach english along with her husband, a Dr. of Psysics and professor. They have been ...

Thread: Thank God we live in the USA......Aunt from Cairo Egypt...

Thank God we live in the USA......Aunt from Cairo Egypt...

Back in the 70's, my aunt went to Cairo to teach english along with her husband, a Dr. of Psysics and professor.
    They have been there ever since and come back to the states every ten years or so.
    Just an FYI, you cannot be a gun owner there and there are severe penalties involved if you are found to have a gun.

One punishment she mentioned - being put in a hole...to your neck, filled with dirt, and left there.

So I asked about crime....It's all over...usually you are beat and most times it involves a throat slashing...not many people make it through that...

Although she stays there by choice now, and loves helping the children, she only wishes she could carry a firearm.

When I took her on a tour of her "old neighborhood" over here ( in Cleveland) , she was happy I took the 1911. She could not imagine how bad things have become. People do not go out past dark, Half the houses are boarded up.

Just another interesting look at how fortunate we are.

God Bless The USA.
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluez4u View Post
    Just an FYI, you cannot be a gun owner there and there are severe penalties involved if you are found to have a gun.
    Usually there is an 'except' clause to this sort of thing, such as: "Except if you are a member of the ruling party".

The general fairness of things in the US (though it is nowhere near perfect) amazes me sometimes.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

"When I took her on a tour of her "old neighborhood" over here ( in Cleveland) , she was happy I took the 1911. She could not imagine how bad things have become. People do not go out past dark, Half the houses are boarded up.

Just another interesting look at how fortunate we are."

Is that an oxy-moron. You just described that th old neighborhood turn to crap and half the houses are boarded up and you need your 1911
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I see that, the placement was incorrect, I was stating that along those lines that we are able to defend ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    "When I took her on a tour of her "old neighborhood" over here ( in Cleveland) , she was happy I took the 1911. She could not imagine how bad things have become. People do not go out past dark, Half the houses are boarded up.

Just another interesting look at how fortunate we are."

Is that an oxy-moron. You just described that th old neighborhood turn to crap and half the houses are boarded up and you need your 1911
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

All middle eastern countries have double standards. Their shariyat law can be twisted depending on who it is. It never applies to international arms dealers, drug dealers or pimps that frequent those places. If you try and legally apply for a firearm, God help you. Even getting a simple license to drive takes forever.

One of my first job offers out of college was from Saudi Arabia. One of their FAQs for foreign workers was not to make eye contact with any woman. Even if the woman speaks to you, you have to turn away and speak to her. If you try to hit on a woman or speak at any place, you can be arrested by their religious police. I turned down the offer which was a lot for a freshman...Knowing me, I am sure they would arrest me on day 1.

We underestimate the freedom we enjoy in the US. I am glad I am here and nowhere else.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Your looking at it from a western point of view. If you were born and bred in Saudi, you would not behave in any other way.

Like in Europe, nudity on TV, us Americans are taken back when we se European TV.

But Wolfshead, I totally agree with you, our laws are the best as long our constitution remains true
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

God Bless The USA
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

We have our 'double standards' here, too. One for politicians, another for the rest of the peasants.

Hopefully our country won't turn into that other 'town' located somewhere in Egypt, but it look like we're headed that way.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 6th, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The freedoms we enjoy in this country are wonderful, but never forget they were attained by the blood of Patriots. It is our duty to protect those freedoms from all who would take them away.

Links